Roadmap transparency: i.e. How many upvotes does a Feature Request need before you actually implement it/work on it?

BlazedMonkey

You can see this as it develops in the beta releases and the discussion in that forum.  Any information beyond that would just be inaccurate fairly quickly.

I wouldn't call that a transparent roadmap as we do not know what acutally it's being worked at before it is released.

We kinda knew that you were working on implementing HEVC but we didn't know that you were/are currently working on it till the beta 4.3.0.12 was released.

I don't think that's how a roadmap works, tbh...

We are not asking for a roadmap for the next months but some kind of information on what is currently being worked at.

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/2019 at 7:56 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  What you have to realize is that being "transparent" to you is being transparent to everyone - including our competition.   So, that is one reason you are not going to see a lot of definite commitments on exactly what is under development at any given time or when things will be released.  We usually will tell you when something is actively under development but may not be able to provide much information before then.

That would make sense if Emby were on top. It's just not. Most folks are going to Plex. I chose Emby because from a performance perspective it's superior. But I have to say given where it's at and not knowing where it's going has me regretting my lifetime license purchase a little. As it is the lack of TV Everywhere kept me from Emby AND Plex for a long time. Thanks to the Channels DVR folks however I'm now using Channels on the back end to aggregate my tuners, deliver TV Everywhere, and provide a guide to an Emby server. All that works great, and I understand why you folks are hesitant to implement TVE due to possible legal issues that the Channels folks are willing to weather, but the lack of a native commercial skip feature in Emby isn't something competitive or hindered by a legal issue. It's ludicrous. At the very least features like that should have a public delivery timeline. That way we all know when Emby plans to catch up to Plex, if ever. See what I mean?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisrc said:

but the lack of a native commercial skip feature in Emby isn't something competitive or hindered by a legal issue

Actually, there are legal issues there but that is not what is holding us back at this point.

all4dom

@ebris it possible to ads maybe a piece of tve with being able to just use or cable subscription login. I just signed up to channels dvr recently & only came across it by being on my google newsfeed, but would love to able to just do it through emby without purchasing an additional program. Mat e that could be an addon for an additional fee which I'm sure alot of people would pay for.

What I dont know is how complex or costly it is to do something like that & do you still have a ton of legal issues emby would have to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 11:19 AM, all4dom said:

@ebris it possible to ads maybe a piece of tve with being able to just use or cable subscription login. I just signed up to channels dvr recently & only came across it by being on my google newsfeed, but would love to able to just do it through emby without purchasing an additional program. Mat e that could be an addon for an additional fee which I'm sure alot of people would pay for.

What I dont know is how complex or costly it is to do something like that & do you still have a ton of legal issues emby would have to worry about.

These folks will never implement TVE. Your best bet is to run Channels on an RPi and use Channels as an m3u tuner for Emby. I've been running that for a few months now and it works fine. Although I must say if you only want to pay for one product then install Jellyfin. Emby is not supported like a commercial product and frankly I wish I never paid for it. 

• Haha 1

pwhodges
3 hours ago, chrisrc said:

Emby is not supported like a commercial product

I have many commercial products which are not supported a fraction as well as Emby is.

Paul

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chrisrc said:

These folks will never implement TVE. Your best bet is to run Channels on an RPi and use Channels as an m3u tuner for Emby. I've been running that for a few months now and it works fine. Although I must say if you only want to pay for one product then install Jellyfin. Emby is not supported like a commercial product and frankly I wish I never paid for it. 

Jellyfin is a joke.

On 2/15/2021 at 11:19 AM, all4dom said:

It is relatively complex with a relatively narrow audience (compared to our other media features).  So, it isn't that we might not do something like that in the future, it is just that we have other things to do first.

Thanks.

all4dom

Thank you @ebrfor answering. I was not sure if something like that is easy or complex to do & that's why I was asking. I know the emby team is constantly updating & improving emby & there is only so much time in a day to do all this..... unless you guys dont sleep. 

CharleyVarrick

EDIT: I just realized I had this backward, as I just noticed this thread started waaaay back in March 2019 (!?!?!?).

The most important point is I want to thank everyone, really everyone (point and counterpoint) that contributed to this thread.

Strive to improve a good product to a better, if not best in its class, and the next day, start over with the exact same goal.

Last but not least, more options for users is better than less options for users.That should take cares of about half the FR that gets a "mmm, not sure this would please everyone here"

My point is, it doesn't have to please everyone, just give us an option to choose from, we're smart enough to find out what works best for our particular needs.

Edited by CharleyVarrick
  • Like 2

CharleyVarrick
On 2/26/2021 at 6:33 AM, pwhodges said:

I have many commercial products which are not supported a fraction as well as Emby is.

Paul

I thought his point was more about how, rather than how good.

With Emby, its mainly the user forum right here.For commercial products, hotlines and/or email and such are more common.

I've had good and bad experiences with both kinds.

Emby forum tech support is great no questions asked, but besides the point of this thread.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
On 3/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, BlazedMonkey said:

If the Emby Team disagrees with the user request, the script goes something like:

Emby team - "This is why we think the way we are doing things is right, thanks"

Users - "Hey, I see what you are saying, but here are 9 reasons I disagree"

Emby team - responds to 1 point of the 9 made to tell the user they are wrong, or that that 1 little point isn't relevant, ignores the other 8 points

LOL

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick
On 3/19/2019 at 9:27 AM, ebr said:

As I said, we need to do a better job of using this feature request forum for future work.  Point taken.

Hi EBR,

Do we have an ETA on that ? 😉

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
chrisrc
On 2/26/2021 at 6:33 AM, pwhodges said:

Paul

Then you must have extremely low expectations, or work in a laundromat.

chrisrc
On 2/26/2021 at 7:31 AM, Sammy said:

Jellyfin is a joke.

You should try actually using it. I've found absolutely nothing I need in Emby that I can't get from Jellyfin. Had I read all the feature request threads before buying Emby and knew Jellyfish was out there I never would have bought it. This thing has patch support at best, with the occasion addition of useless esoteric features at the request of friends is my guess. The ONLY reason I'm using either one is the code is more efficient than Plex. 

pwhodges
2 hours ago, chrisrc said:

Then you must have extremely low expectations, or work in a laundromat.

I have the expectations of someone who himself started writing and supporting commercial software in 1971.  That means I am equally familiar with what can and cannot be done, and how easy or difficult it is.

Paul

chrisrc
20 hours ago, chrisrc said:

You should try actually using it. I've found absolutely nothing I need in Emby that I can't get from Jellyfin. Had I read all the feature request threads before buying Emby and knew Jellyfish was out there I never would have bought it. This thing has patch support at best, with the occasion addition of useless esoteric features at the request of friends is my guess. The ONLY reason I'm using either one is the code is more efficient than Plex. 

Ahh, so in other words you and Biden have a lot in common. 👌

• Sad 1
  • Confused 1

pwhodges

I presume he's telling me that because I'm only five years younger than Joe Biden my opinion on this doesn't count.  Or something.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1