How to manage transcoding-temp file size?

brianbsmith
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

brianbsmith

Emby Server: Windows 10 Version 4.0.2.0

HDHomeRun Connect Firmware 20180817

Emby Clients: LG webOS, Roku, iOS, Android, Windows Chrome

Please advise how to manage uncontrolled growth of transcoding-temp file, which apparently will grow until entire disk is consumed.

• Solution

The transcodes should get cleared out automatically when they are no longer needed such as when a user gets done playing the current video.  I believe the transcode directory is also used as well during DVR.

If you are seeing the transcode directory fill up when NOT BEING USED then please upload your current server log and ffmpeg logs so we can take a look at it.

Luke has already mentioned that this is something that will be addressed in an upcoming release and there will be better management of this directory which could even allow it to run on large ram discs or small SSD drives (when updated).

But for now please upload a set of log files if you aren't seeing files cleared out properly on their own.

• Like 1

brianbsmith

Thanks.  Apparently, there was a "hung" session that was occupying one of my 4 tuners.  Restarting the Emby server resulted in the 250GB trancoding-temp file to be cleaned up.

I've been using various clients/viewers, and the temp files are being deleted when the session terminates.  So, I'll continue to monitor - but all is good for now.  Thanks again.

• 5 months later...
EODCrafter

The transcodes should get cleared out automatically when they are no longer needed such as when a user gets done playing the current video.  I believe the transcode directory is also used as well during DVR.

If you are seeing the transcode directory fill up when NOT BEING USED then please upload your current server log and ffmpeg logs so we can take a look at it.

Luke has already mentioned that this is something that will be addressed in an upcoming release and there will be better management of this directory which could even allow it to run on large ram discs or small SSD drives (when updated).

But for now please upload a set of log files if you aren't seeing files cleared out properly on their own.

@@Luke Any News for this? I run Emby on a 50Gb Server instance and after 4-5 hours of wife watching one channel it's dangerously approaching filling entire Disk and crashing. Please!!!!!! There is no need to continuously keep these files on Disk after all viewing is finished. (What She Viewed in Hour 1 or 2 For Example)

5d6d3fe2b3498_Capture.png

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

Currently with Live TV it stores the temp files for the seek buffer, but in the future we'll improve this to limit it to a certain size. When viewing is finished we clear the temp files. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Currently with Live TV it stores the temp files for the seek buffer, but in the future we'll improve this to limit it to a certain size. When viewing is finished we clear the temp files. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Limiting the Size will help a lot!!!!!!! I realize my use-case is unique to "My Wife"

Only part I don't like is the vagueness...

but in the future we'll improve
Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

We're going as fast as we can and it's difficult to provide ETA's. If you're seeing situations of the files not being cleared after stopping then please see how to report a problem and we're happy to help. Thanks.

Nope, no Problems like that. Just Wife viewing same Channel Hours on end as explained.

• 4 weeks later...
lightsout

I keep having issues with my server, and when I open it, it says I am low on disk space. I have about 60gb free on the OS SSD. But emby keeps taking it all.

The problem is I am often recording a show back to back on the same channel, apparently this is like just letting the channel run for hours. I have since moved the 

temp folder to a large spinner, but don't really want it there, hopefully something can be done about this.

EODCrafter

I keep having issues with my server, and when I open it, it says I am low on disk space. I have about 60gb free on the OS SSD. But emby keeps taking it all.

The problem is I am often recording a show back to back on the same channel, apparently this is like just letting the channel run for hours. I have since moved the 

temp folder to a large spinner, but don't really want it there, hopefully something can be done about this.

If you read up a few posts @@Luke said he will address this in a "Future Release"

Edited by EODCrafter

lightsout

If you read up a few posts @@Luke said he will address this in a "Future Release"

Well I see that, but it's trying to crash my server. Seems like a pretty big bug. I guess I can my DVR habits are causing it.

lightsout

Really?

Why? Because how I responded to you? Yeah I realized I already knew the answer anyways from your interaction above and complaining want going to do any good. I just moved it to a data drive and I'll forget about it.

I know these guys have plenty going on.

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Why? Because how I responded to you? Yeah I realized I already knew the answer anyways from your interaction above and complaining want going to do any good. I just moved it to a data drive and I'll forget about it.

I know these guys have plenty going on.

I told you future release but hey, I could be a maniac lying to make you crash your Server...Better to wait on Devs reply...All good :)

Oh wait...He did reply...... I spend too much time on these forums...ignore me....

5d958f7803478_Capture.png

Edited by EODCrafter

• 2 months later...
IkeTaylor11

@@Luke when is this going to be addressed? Watching Live TV is a real issue right now. The transcoding-temp folder is growing like crazy and not deleting old .ts files until the stream is stopped. If a user were to let a stream run it would fill up the drive in no time. I am seeing about 5GB of files being created each hour for a single user. Can't you put a seek limit in place so we can control how many files are saved? For instance, only go back 15 or 30 minutes. This would allow the temp files to be cleaned up and not fill up the drive. 

slamthedoor

@@Luke when is this going to be addressed? Watching Live TV is a real issue right now. The transcoding-temp folder is growing like crazy and not deleting old .ts files until the stream is stopped.

I think I had stability issues on my new server due to this. The client would appear to freeze after several hours of live TV. I'd be happy if there was an option to limit the amount of time that a user could rewind live TV.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

EODCrafter

@@Luke when is this going to be addressed? Watching Live TV is a real issue right now. The transcoding-temp folder is growing like crazy and not deleting old .ts files until the stream is stopped. If a user were to let a stream run it would fill up the drive in no time. I am seeing about 5GB of files being created each hour for a single user. Can't you put a seek limit in place so we can control how many files are saved? For instance, only go back 15 or 30 minutes. This would allow the temp files to be cleaned up and not fill up the drive. 

Future Release.....

IkeTaylor11

Future Release.....

Future meaning next week or 2 years from now? This is a serious issue for anyone that doesn’t have a lot of drive space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EODCrafter

Future meaning next week or 2 years from now? This is a serious issue for anyone that doesn’t have a lot of drive space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your Preaching to the Choir!

• 2 weeks later...
bardmaster

Did you all, at one time, change the default location where Emby stores these temp files?  I found I had a problem where my drive filled up very quickly and everything started crashing because the drive had 0 bytes free, but I had gotten fancy and changed the location of all temp folders.

Changing it back to the default has worked for me, and my wife often has the same TV channel on all day.

bardmaster

Did you all, at one time, change the default location where Emby stores these temp files?  I found I had a problem where my drive filled up very quickly and everything started crashing because the drive had 0 bytes free, but I had gotten fancy and changed the location of all temp folders.

Changing it back to the default has worked for me, and my wife often has the same TV channel on all day.

Update: I may have spoken too soon...that folder is no longer purging and is at 15GB after 2 days.  I am considering writing a simple script for Task Scheduler to purge it (and the cache folder, for good measure) on a nightly basis.