Reposition Extras above Cast and Crew, so you can see they are there without having to scroll down

BlazedMonkey

I'd rather it be consistent.  A user could easily go in there and say "what happened to the cast?". 

Also, it is more likely that there are only one or two extras which won't fill the screen out as nicely.

BlazedMonkey

I'd rather it be consistent.

And that is your personal preference, and i totally get that. I would prefer to have SOME visual indicator that there are extras, and that is my personal preference.

A user could easily go in there and say "what happened to the cast?".

If 95% of your movies have a cast directly below the movie, and suddenly you come across one that has extras there instead, human nature would be to investigate by scrolling down to see whats up, where you would immediately see the cast with a single down click. I get why your head went there, but a person would have to be pretty thick to not click down at least once to see why it was different. This argument doesn't really track for the curiosity of basic human nature.

Also, it is more likely that there are only one or two extras which won't fill the screen out as nicely.

I don't know what extras you are getting, but literally every movie I have that actually has extras has at least 4. Deleted scenes, gag reel, alternate endings, one-shots (i.e. all the marvel movies), director introductions, making- of featurettes, etc.

I went through last night and used the 'inspect elements' feature in chrome, found the 2 tiny chunks of code that control this, and swapped them around. This took me less than 20 minutes to figure out and implement, and I don't even code. For folks like you that are experts at this, and know the code inside and out, this should take no time at all to work out.

Why not add in a checkbox somewhere in the settings that says "Display extras directly below movie" (or something descriptive like that) and when it is enabled, it flips it so that the extras show above cast and crew? Keep it turned off by default. For those of us that want it, it is easily enabled. For those that don't, it is already off. This should take very little time, and would give the user options for those that prefer to actually see they have extras.

• Like 3

I'd rather it be consistent.  A user could easily go in there and say "what happened to the cast?". 

I agree with many other here and would prefer to see the extras listed first above the actors.

I personally would use the cast more then the extras however there is no present way to know they exist.

I know the cast is going to be there if I scroll down but don't know if extras will be there so I'd have to waist my time and clicks to find out.

If extras are present and they are always shown above the cast then this would be consistent.

Part of the reason I'd prefer this is all movie related info is kept together.  The extras are specific to THIS MOVIE only and not any other.  Actors relate to multiple movie/shows including the one currently being looked at.

PS I'd also be fine if they were kept where they are below the cast if there was an icon up top with the word EXTRAS or similar.  If there is some indication on the first page view that extras are present with no scrolling involved that works just fine.

• Like 3

schmitty

I agree. I think some sort of indicator would be better, eg. EXTRAS mark, in the line where the CC mark appears.

• Like 3

jachin99

What if when a user lands on a given media item or movie page for example you leave the default view as is where they see things like box art, codec info, and some of the cast info.  From here they can scroll down for cast OR scroll UP for things like extras?  If I had extra which I don't I think that would be useful.  Just an idea,

funwithmedia

PS I'd also be fine if they were kept where they are below the cast if there was an icon up top with the word EXTRAS or similar.  If there is some indication on the first page view that extras are present with no scrolling involved that works just fine.

I agree. I think some sort of indicator would be better, eg. EXTRAS mark, in the line where the CC mark appears.

An EXTRAS indicator/mark is an interesting idea. It could even be a link that jumps you down the page to the Extras section (since some of the other things in that area are links, eg, Directors, Genres, etc.), which some users might find useful if they're navigating with the mouse and/or touch.

What if when a user lands on a given media item or movie page for example you leave the default view as is where they see things like box art, codec info, and some of the cast info.  From here they can scroll down for cast OR scroll UP for things like extras?  If I had extra which I don't I think that would be useful.  Just an idea,

That's an interesting and creative idea! But my hunch is that it is too different from the normal/expected paradigm to have any chance of getting implemented (ie, trying to train users on a whole different way of thinking about their user interface is challenging).

• Like 3

adamstewiegreen

My 2 cents (probably all it's worth). I'd like to see no scrolling at all. In this scenario Cast/Extras/Chapters/Recommendations all get their own page.

And if there are no extras/cast (etc), the icon(s) is simply absent (like trailers).

• Like 1

schmitty

It could even be a link that jumps you down the page to the Extras section (since some of the other things in that area are links, eg, Directors, Genres, etc.), which some users might find useful if they're navigating with the mouse and/or touch.

Now, that's a good idea on top of an already good idea ;)

rbjtech

Agree 100% - something like this, just to give you an indication that you have some additional content for this film - no trailer or no extras = no icon - simples :) ..

5c98f5f63dbff_extras2.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 6

aspdend

Agree 100% - something like this, just to give you an indication that you have some additional content for this film - no trailer or no extras = no icon - simples :) ..

That, to me, is a good layout to incorporate the extras

BlazedMonkey

Agree 100% - something like this, just to give you an indication that you have some additional content for this film - no trailer or no extras = no icon - simples :) ..

My first vote would be to bump the extras up above the cast as I originally suggested. However, if the Emby team doesnt want to go that route, something like this would be acceptable.

Seriously though, we need SOMETHING.

funwithmedia

That does feel pretty intuitive to me.

Trailers and Extras could even use the same button.  This way you get easy access to multiple trailers and can pick which one to play.

BlazedMonkey

So I love all the ideas here and I'm glad there are others that see the logic. Let me throw something out there though, because I don't know as a button is necessarily the best option:

If we reposition extras above cast as I originally describe, it would be immediately visible, and only takes 1 down-click to get to.

If we do a button, this will blend into the other buttons at the top and may not be that obvious at a glance. Also, on smaller TV's, it will be that much tinier, making it that much less obvious. Last but not least, if the button is at the top, depending on the interface (Nvidia shield, roku, etc.) it now takes a minimum of 2 up-clicks to get to (and if there are multiple audio tracks, it takes 3).

While I appreciate the idea of a button because it does address the issue that extras are not easily visible, I still strongly believe that repositioning the extras above the cast when extras are present is the best way to fix the issue, and will look the best for all interfaces and screen sizes.

Edited by BlazedMonkey

funwithmedia

Trailers and Extras could even use the same button.  This way you get easy access to multiple trailers and can pick which one to play.

That is an interesting idea, but there would be a lot more involved in that (ie, probably best to make that it's own Feature Request, eg, "Add ability to select which Trailer, when there are multiple options locally and/or online"). But I agree that would be cool!

That is an interesting idea, but there would be a lot more involved in that (ie, probably best to make that it's own Feature Request, eg, "Add ability to select which Trailer, when there are multiple options locally and/or online"). But I agree that would be cool!

Add a movie to your collection with 2 or more trailers and whatever other extras you want.

Then after adding it to the library take a look at how they are listed under cast already.

Now what do you think about my suggestion? :)

funwithmedia

Add a movie to your collection with 2 or more trailers and whatever other extras you want.

Then after adding it to the library take a look at how they are listed under cast already.

Now what do you think about my suggestion? :)

:) I was meaning two things: (1) adding functionality such that activating the Trailers button would give you the option to choose a trailer would mean adding some additional UI/UX (user interfaces and user interactions). And (2), that adding the ability to choose from online trailers is an additional layer of work too. Both of these are do-able, but there's a bit of work with either/both (especially to make it consistent across apps), and so that's a bigger hurdle in terms of it getting implemented (ie, I would hypothesize there's a lot of other higher priority things to be worked on).

Now, if at some point the UI of Emby Theater and the other Emby apps starts to display Extras in their respective sections (eg, Featurettes in a Featurettes section, Trailers in a Trailers section, etc.) then the Trailers button could just jump you down the page/screen to the Trailers section and you could then choose your trailer from there. This would also make it easier to have the Trailers section auto-populate with X number of online trailers (where X is defined by the user, perhaps at the Server level), in addition to however many local trailers there are. If things were to go this route there'd be less work involved in adding that functionality than if there has to be a screen that pops up to display your choice of trailers to pick from.

Does all that make more sense now?

BlazedMonkey

So it seems like this it getting quite a bit of traction. Can we expect to see this getting implemented soon, as there is a clear desire for it?

@@ebr @@Luke

Thanks

Well, continued discussion among the same 5-6 folks isn't necessarily an indicator of "a clear desire for it" except for by those folks... ;)

We are monitoring this but really do feel that the current approach fits best for most situations.

• Like 3

BlazedMonkey

Well, continued discussion among the same 5-6 folks isn't necessarily an indicator of "a clear desire for it" except for by those folks... ;)

We are monitoring this but really do feel that the current approach fits best for most situations.

10 unique users actually, in this thread. Then add another 3 to that for the additional users on my server that want the same thing.

So I go back to my original point: How do you know there are extras, without constantly having to scroll down on EVERY. SINGLE. MOVIE?

While I understand that you and luke don't feel like this would be useful because YOUR content doesn't have extras, there are more than a handful of people here that disagree.

This is a simple coding addition that could be knocked out in an hour or so. As I said in a previous post, if you make it an optional checkbox that is turned off by default, then everyone will be happy. You can continue to see your content in the order you want it and play the guessing game as to whether or not your content has extras, and those of us that want it and actually have a USE for it will be able to see that there are extras without having to make additional clicks on EVERY movie. That's a win-win solution in my book, with everyone getting what they want.

unisoft

It's probably one line of extras at most?!

Contrasted with cast which on the LG app currently, it can be pages of scrolling for lots of cast. If that changes to a horizontal scroll (thought most hated that and so did Emby devs!) then not an issue I think.

• Like 1

BlazedMonkey

10 unique users actually, in this thread. Then add another 3 to that for the additional users on my server that want the same thing.

So I go back to my original point: How do you know there are extras, without constantly having to scroll down on EVERY. SINGLE. MOVIE?

While I understand that you and luke don't feel like this would be useful because YOUR content doesn't have extras, there are more than a handful of people here that disagree.

This is a simple coding addition that could be knocked out in an hour or so. As I said in a previous post, if you make it an optional checkbox that is turned off by default, then everyone will be happy. You can continue to see your content in the order you want it and play the guessing game as to whether or not your content has extras, and those of us that want it and actually have a USE for it will be able to see that there are extras without having to make additional clicks on EVERY movie. That's a win-win solution in my book, with everyone getting what they want.

@@ebr  Any response to my question here, or the comment in general?  @@Luke ?

Edited by BlazedMonkey

I guess it is the same question for any other content that is below the fold on the detail screen.

RobWayBro

This layout would work fine for me and not distract from the rest of the layout.