Reposition Extras above Cast and Crew, so you can see they are there without having to scroll down

BlazedMonkey

miniliQuid

I also add my vote to this - but I would consider, to implement an option, that every user could arrange the items of the page as he prefers.

This would allow, that the actors section is the top section for those, who are more interested in these information, than for the extras or chapter section of that movie.

Others could just change the order of the elements as they'd prefer.

I have to say this also sounds like an awesome solution. Everyone happy.

However I am afraid this might be a lot of work though to implement?

If so I stick to my previous statement that there should at least be a very visible box notifying us of the extra's if they are available :D

• 2 months later...
Happy2Play

A button linked to a Extras page (visible if extras exist) would be the more appropriate then reordering the UI to me.

5de5d78933340_extras.jpg

• Like 2

crusher11

I've come around to that view as well. List them like TV episodes so we can see descriptions, runtimes, etc. All reordering would do would make them more obvious, the metadata would remain hidden.

A button linked to a Extras page (visible if extras exist) would be the more appropriate then reordering the UI to me.

5de5d78933340_extras.jpg

More than likely, it would have to be inside that "More" option or we just end up having too many buttons (remember, we have to have Delete show as a button when available)

Putting it inside the "more" option defeats the entire purpose.

I figured you would feel that way which is why I mentioned it.

We simply cannot have tons of individual buttons it is just a problem in a lot of ways.  And some people want certain buttons to always be there for quick access.  Things like watched and favorite should always be there for sure.  Then there is play and resume and delete and...

BlazedMonkey

We simply cannot have tons of individual buttons it is just a problem in a lot of ways. And some people want certain buttons to always be there for quick access. Things like watched and favorite should always be there for sure. Then there is play and resume and delete and...

So give people the control to reorder the line items then, so we can order it how we feel best serves our needs. Then everyone will be happy.

funwithmedia

So give people the control to reorder the line items then, so we can order it how we feel best serves our needs. Then everyone will be happy.

While I agree that would be ideal, I can also appreciate how that adds a bunch more complexity behind the scenes in the code, because that would need to be added for all of the apps, and I can imagine there are many more pressing features to be added first.

While I agree that would be ideal, I can also appreciate how that adds a bunch more complexity behind the scenes in the code, because that would need to be added for all of the apps, and I can imagine there are many more pressing features to be added first.

Yes and the reality of the world is that probably

BlazedMonkey

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree.

The simplest solution here is to move extras above the cast and crew. Don't have extras? Literally nothing changes, and it looks like every other movie. Have extras? They pop up where you would normally see cast and crew, making it obvious that they are there, without having to worry about adding more buttons. People logically follow the flow and understand that cast and crew didn't disappear, they just have to click down once, because they are always there.

This has been a request for 9 months at this point, there has been plenty of time to implement this, at most, 2 line swap in the code (I know because I was able to do it in chrome in under 15 minutes). There was nothing complex about my original solution.

Instead of going with the simple user friendly solution, we are trying to add all this complexity to it (user control over line item order, or extra buttons, or...), which is the only thing that would take any real time to implement. I feel like this has more to do with the developers disagreeing with the need for the feature, and not having a 'uniform interface', than it has anything to do with complexity.

Just my 2 cents ;)

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree.

The simplest solution here is to move extras above the cast and crew. Don't have extras? Literally nothing changes, and it looks like every other movie. Have extras? They pop up where you would normally see cast and crew, making it obvious that they are there, without having to worry about adding more buttons. People logically follow the flow and understand that cast and crew didn't disappear, they just have to click down once, because they are always there.

This has been a request for 9 months at this point, there has been plenty of time to implement this, at most, 2 line swap in the code (I know because I was able to do it in chrome in under 15 minutes). There was nothing complex about my original solution.

Instead of going with the simple user friendly solution, we are trying to add all this complexity to it (user control over line item order, or extra buttons, or...), which is the only thing that would take any real time to implement. I feel like this has more to do with the developers disagreeing with the need for the feature, and not having a 'uniform interface', than it has anything to do with complexity.

Just my 2 cents ;)

The change is the reason it has to be a feature request. It is a change.

After the change people will make a thread "Please raise the cast above the extras why did this change??!" shortly after. You can predict this. Change brings unfamiliarity and brings uncertainty. OMG! They changed this for the worse. What comes next? They must hate me. People take change personal and take offense you did it intentionally and personally to them.

To allow the user to customize that appearance would first mean changes to the server that adds more complexity to the DB adding more attributes tied to a user. It will make things slower. Because it has to check the order where your buttons and rows should be. When going to detail screens there will certainly be lag as it gets from the server the order of those buttons and rows. Things like this have to be taken into consideration. Not to mention all the changes to every single app has to happen. The server has to be modified and the DB has to be altered to allow this. This makes it require a huge investment of time.

It starts with people +1 and liking the first post. That raises the number next to the post you see when using a browser to view these forums. That number next to the thread is how many want the feature. When you +1 inside the thread it is like blowing in the wind. Nobody will tell you did anything.

If anyone really wants this feature PLEASE like the first post of this thread. Thanks. :)

I personally would like my extras above the cast when they are there for those few items I do have extras with. I did like the first post. :) I could go either way on this really. When I have extras I wish they were above cast. But otherwise it is fine.

A suggestion is to do like Trailers. Trailers are a first class citizen and get the dedicated button. Extras are treated as baggage and get a row off screen you must scroll to. The disparity is clear. Extras should possibly be combined with trailers into a single button and a menu given when clicked. Choose from the trailers row or extras row when this button is clicked and this trailer/extras panel opens. If only 1 trailer simply play that 1 trailer do not spawn the dialog, etc. That could work with minimal disruption.

Edited by speechles

BlazedMonkey

Yes and the reality of the world is that probably < 1% of users would ever go to the trouble to even discover it was possible and that makes such complexity very expensive for the benefit gained (overall - I understand everyone reading this would think it a huge benefit).

So go with the simple solution as I originally suggested. It will not affect 99% of the users you claim don't care, because NOTHING will change for them visually, and it will give the rest of us with extras the fix we have been asking for without adding complexity. Win win :)

BlazedMonkey

The change is the reason it has to be a feature request. It is a change.

After the change people will make a thread "Please raise the cast above the extras why did this change??!" shortly after. You can predict this. Change brings unfamiliarity and brings uncertainty. OMG! They changed this for the worse. What comes next? They must hate me. People take change personal and take offense you did it intentionally and personally to them.

Yet the claim from the developers is that 99% of people don't have extras, so this wouldn't even affect them to begin with, as they will never even visually see a change. While I understand your perspective, I highly doubt the blowout of this wpuld be on the proportion that you are predicting, based on the developers own claims of user extras.

To allow the user to customize that appearance would first mean changes to the server that adds more complexity to the DB adding more attributes tied to a user. It will make things slower. Because it has to check the order where your buttons and rows should be. When going to detail screens there will certainly be lag as it gets from the server the order of those buttons and rows. Things like this have to be taken into consideration. Not to mention all the changes to every single app has to happen. The server has to be modified and the DB has to be altered to allow this. This makes it require a huge investment of time.

The database already checks for those items every time anyway. If you implement my simple change, you are not implementing anything new, mearly reordering existing code. I don't see how this would add loading time.

I understand where you are coming from with having to change every app, but this is no different than any other change that is implemented every day around here. Things take time, that is a given, but this would take LESS time than implementing a brand new feature, since code doesn't have to be written from scratch.

It starts with people +1 and liking the first post. That raises the number next to the post you see when using a browser to view these forums. That number next to the thread is how many want the feature. When you +1 inside the thread it is like blowing in the wind. Nobody will tell you did anything.

If anyone really wants this feature PLEASE like the first post of this thread.

I've addressed this point, at length, here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71298-roadmap-transparency-ie-how-many-upvotes-does-a-feature-request-need-before-you-actually-implement-itwork-on-it/?fromsearch=1

Thanks. :)

I personally would like my extras above the cast when they are there for those few items I do have extras with. I did like the first post. :) I could go either way on this really. When I have extras I wish they were above cast. But otherwise it is fine.

Thank you for you upvotes, I do appreciate it, as well as your input :)

crusher11

We simply cannot have tons of individual buttons it is just a problem in a lot of ways.  And some people want certain buttons to always be there for quick access.  Things like watched and favorite should always be there for sure.  Then there is play and resume and delete and...

So get rid of the trailer button. And/or the delete button.

Delete, especially, is something you're only ever going to want when you specifically go looking for it. I assume it only applies to recordings from live TV as I've never seen it, and if so you're basically never going to have a film with both a delete button and an extras button.

So go with the simple solution as I originally suggested. It will not affect 99% of the users you claim don't care, because NOTHING will change for them visually, and it will give the rest of us with extras the fix we have been asking for without adding complexity. Win win :)

That just isn't true - it could effect a very large portion of users - anyone with extras.

You personally think the extras are more important than the cast but we don't really think that is a majority opinion (look at just about every other interface anything like this).  We feel the cast should be weighted more and believe that is probably the opinion of most.

And/or the delete button.

Delete, especially, is something you're only ever going to want when you specifically go looking for it. I assume it only applies to recordings from live TV as I've never seen it, and if so you're basically never going to have a film with both a delete button and an extras button.

Go look at the threads from a month or so ago about the position of the delete button...  Many people want it to be prominent if it is allowed.

crusher11

The thing is, you know going in whether deletion is allowed or whether or not there's a cast. You don't know whether or not there are extras.

That's the entire point of this discussion. Their existence is variable, the other buttons aren't.

• Like 1

BlazedMonkey

That just isn't true - it could effect a very large portion of users - anyone with extras.

My apologies, I was conflating two completely different posts in my head, and my response didn't fit with your message.

You personally think the extras are more important than the cast but we don't really think that is a majority opinion (look at just about every other interface anything like this).  We feel the cast should be weighted more and believe that is probably the opinion of most.

There are 31 unique posters (either through 'liking' the post, or commenting in the affirmative) in this thread that have stated that they either like the original idea, or that they see the need for extras to be highlighted in some fashion.  There are only 2 posters (you and Luke) that disagree. The majority may not agree that repositioning the cast above the crew is the right solution, but of those that have spoke up in this thread, they clearly want SOMETHING that will highlight extras is a better fashion that what we currently have.

While you may feel that the cast should be weighted more, and that that is the opinion of most, if you read through the thread, it's clear that this is a problem that needs a solution.  While I will concede that adjusting the extras above the cast and crew may not be the best solution, it should be clear by now that there is a distinct need to highlight when there are extras present.

Can you, at the very least, acknowledge that this is a issue that needs addressing? Whether it's using my original idea, or finding some other workable solution to highlight that extras exist without having to scroll down on every single movie, can we at least agree that this needs some kind of fix?

Honestly, this is all I'm looking for. Just some way to know, WITHOUT HAVING TO SCROLL DOWN ON EVERY SINGLE MOVIE, that extras exist. However we do that, let's make it happen.

Edited by BlazedMonkey

levander

ebr, I agree with you that cast is more important than extras but I don’t agree with the logic that that should the reason it has to be put before extras - on the contrary: the cast is part of movie INFO and hence ALWAYS present on the detail screen, so you will always expect to find it when you scroll down; extras are not always present (mostly not) and they are actually called extras because they are attached as extension to the main feature. Like little presents. You want to see them. The problem is you don’t see them if they are down below, and you don’t always want to scroll all the way down just to see if there are some extras or not. So, if you still want to keep the way it is now maybe it would be a good compromise to put some kind of indicator (near trailers, for example) that the extras are present. 

Edited by levander

aspdend

Go look at the threads from a month or so ago about the position of the delete button...  Many people want it to be prominent if it is allowed.

I'm firmly with the emby team on this one - Cast should be much more prominent than extras and having a consistent interface irrelevant of extras is much nicer visually than having extras shoehorned in on the few films that have extras. I've got no problem with a button of some sort for extras but that shouldn't impact on the general  look.

• Like 1

rbjtech

I found my own solution - simply tag films with 'Extras' with an 'Extras' tag - that way you can see it has Extra's and scroll down to see them  ;)

Yes an Extra's button would look neater, but the visual indicator is all that I (and the OP) wanted - so the tag serves it's purpose here.

5dea82742e240_extras.png

..and as a bonus - click on the Tag - and it'll list all your Films with 'Extras' on them ..  :P

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

miniliQuid

Exactly, that was my intention of the extra button - simply automatically scroll down to the Extra's current layout - no other changes are needed.

The primary reason for the button is to alert you that there are extras (because as the OP originally says, how would you ever know, unless you scrolled down manually) but as it can be a button, then it makes perfect sense to then just jump to the Extra's area.  To get back, scroll back up - that is all fine imo.

This all the way. If needed just make 2 rows of buttons (or make them smaller). I really feel that this, as well as collections need more attention.

We are talking about plenty of users, who will simply start a movie and don't go scrolling down for either extra's or the collection if they do not know it's there.

Not all users are knowing about this, and explaining it to all those users is a giant pain.

I mean in my family I am pretty much the only one, who would know this and figure it out for a long time to come.

The rest will simply look at the movie, click on it, go to play and play it after reading the description.

They aren't interested in the cast, studio, directors or anything like that.

However the simple things, like a gag reel would be enjoyable.

Knowing there is another movie about it is also very important.

Example of this is my parents watching kong skull island.

They were already guessing there was more to the movie, and I had to tell them that it's part of a godzilla trilogy with more giant monsters.

When I showed them where to see what collection this is in they were obviously surprised.

Same thing goes for extras & simple buttons would be super helpfull when it comes to that, no doubt about it.

The thing is, you know going in whether deletion is allowed or whether or not there's a cast. You don't know whether or not there are extras.

That's the entire point of this discussion. Their existence is variable, the other buttons aren't.

Very important mentioning. I even go so far as to say that deleting is often only for super users / administrators (I do not allow anyone to delete anything on my server) which means they know where to find such a delete button.

Wanting it in sight rather than an extra tap is merely for efficiency/speed, while extra and collection buttons would be there for visibility.

I found my own solution - simply tag films with 'Extras' with an 'Extras' tag - that way you can see it has Extra's and scroll down to see them  ;)

Yes an Extra's button would look neater, but the visual indicator is all that I (and the OP) wanted - so the tag serves it's purpose here.

5dea82742e240_extras.png

..and as a bonus - click on the Tag - and it'll list all your Films with 'Extras' on them ..  :P

This though also very awesome would require quite some work for many libraries on top of having to do it for every new movie that comes with extras :(

• Like 1

BlazedMonkey

I found my own solution - simply tag films with 'Extras' with an 'Extras' tag - that way you can see it has Extra's and scroll down to see them ;)

https://emby.media/community/uploads/inline/101125/5dea82742e240_extras.png

..and as a bonus - click on the Tag - and it'll list all your Films with 'Extras' on them .. :P

I understand where you are coming from here, but this negates the entire premise of automation that emby revolves around. Having to go in and manually tag everything like that when you already have thousands of movies in your collection is not the best solution, particularly when many other solutions have been put forward here that would automate the task, both for prior movies as well as those newly added.

• Like 1