Reposition Extras above Cast and Crew, so you can see they are there without having to scroll down

BlazedMonkey

BlazedMonkey

I guess it is the same question for any other content that is below the fold on the detail screen.

Except it's not @@Luke

Cast & Crew:  Literally always there

More Like This: Literally always there

Scenes:  Literally always there

The user doesn't need to have any special flag to know that these items exist, as every single movie has them.  Users already know that they will be there, and don't need any special indication.  Any user can tell you with 100% confidence that they will be there without having to know before hand.

Trailers:  There is a button at the top, right next to play, if a trailer exists. The "Trailers" row that shows down below on the Shield/Roku/etc. is fairly redundant and disposable and does not deserve priority. It is near the bottom, as it should be, since the user already knows these exist because there is a visual indicator above the fold in the form of a button.

Extras don't exist for all movies like all these other features do.  They add valuable additional content to the movie that is specific to that movie.  Unfortunately, the user has no way of knowing they are there without having to seek them out for EVERY. SINGLE. MOVIE. because you have provided no visual indicator that they are even there.

Please, give us the optional setting to reorder them above the cast, or put an Extras button next to the Trailers button.  

• Like 2

RobWayBro

What would that do, scroll down ?

That is all I would need.  It would be nice to have the visual indicator but I do like having the Cast/Crew where they are.

BlazedMonkey

That is all I would need.  It would be nice to have the visual indicator but I do like having the Cast/Crew where they are.

As was suggested earlier in the thread, if they were to reposition the extras above the cast and crew, this should really be an optional setting that is turned off by default, just to be clear.  It could be a setting on the app side so that the user could select it themselves, according to their own preference.  Because you would only see the line if extras actually existed, it would highlight the fact that there were extras there since it would immediately grab the users eye, as well as making them more accessible with fewer clicks.

Having a button could be a second option, although, in my opinion, this wouldn't be nearly as impactful on small to medium screens, and may get overlooked. 

aspdend

As was suggested earlier in the thread, if they were to reposition the extras above the cast and crew, this should really be an optional setting that is turned off by default, just to be clear.  It could be a setting on the app side so that the user could select it themselves, according to their own preference.  Because you would only see the line if extras actually existed, it would highlight the fact that there were extras there since it would immediately grab the users eye, as well as making them more accessible with fewer clicks.

Having a button could be a second option, although, in my opinion, this wouldn't be nearly as impactful on small to medium screens, and may get overlooked. 

But if this was an optional toggle for on/off as in show the extras above the cast or not (default setting off) then for someone like me that wants it to look the same if there are extras or not, then this wouldn't be satisfactory - it would be much better to have the same appearance always with a visual indicator/button like @@rbjtech mocked up above the fold. This way you can clearly see that there are extras, but the appearance stays the same.

• Like 1

BlazedMonkey

But if this was an optional toggle for on/off as in show the extras above the cast or not (default setting off) then for someone like me that wants it to look the same if there are extras or not, then this wouldn't be satisfactory - it would be much better to have the same appearance always with a visual indicator/button like @@rbjtech mocked up above the fold. This way you can clearly see that there are extras, but the appearance stays the same.

I've made my case for repositioning the extras above cast and crew, and it seems more people would like the button option instead.  As long as we are doing SOMETHING to acknowledge that extras exists without constantly having to click down for them, I'll take what I can get.

So how would this operate?  Would clicking the button just jump you down to the extras line?  Or would it take you to an extra screen that had all your extras listed? What would that look like?  Did you have something different in mind?

Hopefully it should go without saying, but I think it would be best if the button ONLY appeared if there were extras for the movie, that way it wouldn't be a false indicator.

Edited by BlazedMonkey

aspdend

I've made my case for repositioning the extras above cast and crew, and it seems more people would like the button option instead.  As long as we are doing SOMETHING to acknowledge that extras exists without constantly having to click down for them, I'll take what I can get.

So how would this operate?  Would clicking the button just jump you down to the extras line?  Or would it take you to an extra screen that had all your extras listed? What would that look like?  Did you have something different in mind?

Hopefully it should go without saying, but I think it would be best if the button ONLY appeared if there were extras for the movie, that way it wouldn't be a false indicator.

I agree, something should be done to show there are movie extras - a button that appears when there are extras or is greyed out when there are none. Personally I would like it to jump down to the extras section, I wouldn't want an additional screen just for the extras.

funwithmedia

I agree, something should be done to show there are movie extras - a button that appears when there are extras or is greyed out when there are none. Personally I would like it to jump down to the extras section, I wouldn't want an additional screen just for the extras.

Jumping/scrolling down the page seems like the easiest thing to me as well (should be much less programming work than creating a whole new page). I'd also suggest that the Extras button only appear if there are extras -- if you just grey it out people will be asking why the button is broken... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Baenwort

I went through last night and used the 'inspect elements' feature in chrome, found the 2 tiny chunks of code that control this, and swapped them around. This took me less than 20 minutes to figure out and implement, and I don't even code. For folks like you that are experts at this, and know the code inside and out, this should take no time at all to work out.

Why not add in a checkbox somewhere in the settings that says "Display extras directly below movie" (or something descriptive like that) and when it is enabled, it flips it so that the extras show above cast and crew? Keep it turned off by default. For those of us that want it, it is easily enabled. For those that don't, it is already off. This should take very little time, and would give the user options for those that prefer to actually see they have extras.

Or if they don't want to make a default for everyone, make this part of the layout that can be configured via custom CSS as we currently do with colors and icons used.  

I like the ordering of most rare to most common for hierarchies myself as the common things I will scroll for as I know they are always there somewhere. Things that are rare might not be noticed unless highlighted. 

Deathsquirrel

The original suggestion of a row of extras that's between the movie and the cast and crew would be a poor design decision IMO.  It would make the UI inconsistent and it would be visually unpleasant.  The number of extras that come on disc varies wildly, from zero to near-infinity in the LOTR Extended Editions example.

An extras marker that isn't a navigable button would be OK but honestly would probably just be visual noise.

An Extras button up by the existing trailer button that jumps you to the extras would be a great option if it can be easily implemented.

• Like 3

rbjtech

What would that do, scroll down ?

Exactly, that was my intention of the extra button - simply automatically scroll down to the Extra's current layout - no other changes are needed.

The primary reason for the button is to alert you that there are extras (because as the OP originally says, how would you ever know, unless you scrolled down manually) but as it can be a button, then it makes perfect sense to then just jump to the Extra's area.  To get back, scroll back up - that is all fine imo.

• Like 3

memetopal

Hi everybody,

I would also like a better way to see if a movie has extras available. I think an option in settings that allows to select if you prefer to view "Extras" over "Cast & Crew" would be ideal, however i understand that this takes more time programming-wise, so i guess a button for Extras which automatically scrolls down and that appears only when there are extras available, would also be ok.   :)

BlazedMonkey

Hoping we can get this implemented now that 4.1 is out.  Think maybe we can get this in for the next update?  Or perhaps a patch?

• 2 weeks later...
carpediem

I just want to add another vote toward this topic. I agree with the OP that extras should show up before the cast and crew, if there are any extras. For those who have taken the time to rip and label their dvd/blu-ray extras, this visual order would probably have a higher value to reward the time that took. Personally, when I watch a really good movie, I instinctively want to watch the extras and find out more about how the pudding was made and further enhance that positive movie experience I just had. In addition, the extras can sometimes provide more relevant insights into the cast and crew and present a fuller picture of them as people through interviews, behind the scenes etc in a way that the cast and crew section by itself cannot. That humanizing experience may then trigger the need to go further into the cast and crew section to see what other work they have done. I know this contrasts with the views of others who may want the cast & crew section first, just offering another point of view.

I can see how others may not find extras coming first visually appealing, especially when the extras do not fill out the screen. As such, I think giving users the option of reordering the movie section as they would prefer to makes the best sense, somewhat similar to how one can choose the order of items displayed on the home screen. I’m sure there is someone out there who would prefer to have the “More Like This” section before the cast and crew in both Movie and TV sections for example, because that’s just more relevant to their personal viewing experience. I certainly understand this is no small feat to implement across multiple platforms etc Just a little thought for the devs to have in mind and see if there is traction for something like that. In the absence of that, I think the compromise of an extras button that jumps to the extras section will work as well. I also agree that this button should only appear if extras are detected.

Since we are talking about extras, I have a suggestion regarding the display of titles on screen. Currently, a static title listing with a limited number of characters is displayed. Is it possible to have the titles scroll when an extra is highlighted? I know some people hate scrolling but I think there is some value to being able to discern “Behind the scenes: Car chase” from “Behind the scenes: Skydive.” Static title behavior is OK for movies because clicking on a movie brings up the detail page with the full title etc Clicking on an extra immediately starts playback so one may have to click through multiple similarly labeled extras to find the one they are interested in at the moment. (I could argue that the title should scroll for highlighted movies too since the title displayed in some movie artwork is sometimes too small to make out in thumbnail form, but I digress [emoji3]).

On another note, if anyone has a decent method of automating the ripping and labeling of dvd extras, please enlighten me.

• Like 2

funwithmedia

Since we are talking about extras, I have a suggestion regarding the display of titles on screen. Currently, a static title listing with a limited number of characters is displayed. Is it possible to have the titles scroll when an extra is highlighted? I know some people hate scrolling but I think there is some value to being able to discern “Behind the scenes: Car chase” from “Behind the scenes: Skydive.” Static title behavior is OK for movies because clicking on a movie brings up the detail page with the full title etc Clicking on an extra immediately starts playback so one may have to click through multiple similarly labeled extras to find the one they are interested in at the moment. (I could argue that the title should scroll for highlighted movies too since the title displayed in some movie artwork is sometimes too small to make out in thumbnail form, but I digress [emoji3]).

I second that last paragraph.

Related: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43846-emby-theater-display-title-duration-and-other-metadata-below-the-selected-extra/

BlazedMonkey

I just want to add another vote toward this topic. I agree with the OP that extras should show up before the cast and crew, if there are any extras. For those who have taken the time to rip and label their dvd/blu-ray extras, this visual order would probably have a higher value to reward the time that took. Personally, when I watch a really good movie, I instinctively want to watch the extras and find out more about how the pudding was made and further enhance that positive movie experience I just had. In addition, the extras can sometimes provide more relevant insights into the cast and crew and present a fuller picture of them as people through interviews, behind the scenes etc in a way that the cast and crew section by itself cannot. That humanizing experience may then trigger the need to go further into the cast and crew section to see what other work they have done. I know this contrasts with the views of others who may want the cast & crew section first, just offering another point of view.

I can see how others may not find extras coming first visually appealing, especially when the extras do not fill out the screen. As such, I think giving users the option of reordering the movie section as they would prefer to makes the best sense, somewhat similar to how one can choose the order of items displayed on the home screen. I’m sure there is someone out there who would prefer to have the “More Like This” section before the cast and crew in both Movie and TV sections for example, because that’s just more relevant to their personal viewing experience. I certainly understand this is no small feat to implement across multiple platforms etc Just a little thought for the devs to have in mind and see if there is traction for something like that. In the absence of that, I think the compromise of an extras button that jumps to the extras section will work as well. I also agree that this button should only appear if extras are detected.

Great points, thanks for adding your voice. 

Dev's, are you listening yet?  The number of people asking for this FAAAR outweighs the couple of people who disagree. Please, make this a priority and get this implemented already.

funwithmedia

Dev's, are you listening yet?  The number of people asking for this FAAAR outweighs the couple of people who disagree. Please, make this a priority and get this implemented already.

Fellow user here. I certainly understand your desire to see something implemented -- I have my own wish-list of feature requests I hope to see happen eventually. But there are other open feature requests that have far more "votes" than this particular thread at the moment, so I'd be pretty surprised to see this one getting implemented any time soon. It's not that the Devs don't listen -- I've found them to be very responsive -- but they can't do everything at once and they've got to prioritize based on a number of factors (user's votes being one factor). All that to say, don't lose hope, but don't expect this to get implemented soon (again, in my opinion).

adamstewiegreen

funwithmedia is right, you just need to wait, seriously the topic is only 2 months old!!

Why should the devs drop everything they're working on just to do this?  Why should this request be placed in front of all others?  Plus, 'support' for this probably isn't as clear cut as just counting all the people who agree with the OP that there is a (very!) slight problem.  For myself, I agree with the OP that there needs to be some indication of special features, but I also agree with the devs that actors should stay where they are.

In the meantime: Filter by Extras.

BlazedMonkey

Fellow user here. I certainly understand your desire to see something implemented -- I have my own wish-list of feature requests I hope to see happen eventually. But there are other open feature requests that have far more "votes" than this particular thread at the moment, so I'd be pretty surprised to see this one getting implemented any time soon. It's not that the Devs don't listen -- I've found them to be very responsive -- but they can't do everything at once and they've got to prioritize based on a number of factors (user's votes being one factor). All that to say, don't lose hope, but don't expect this to get implemented soon (again, in my opinion).

Scroll to the bottom of the forum and click the "Most Like Comments" and you will come across this thread:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26495-centralized-authentication-functionality-ldapssohtml-headerradius-development-started/&do=findComment&comment=257942

Literally took 2.5 YEARS for this to even get STARTED working on, even after it was the most "Liked" feature request on the forum.  To say that I have no faith in the "Like the post to show us what you want us to work on" system that keeps getting suggested is an understatement. I expanded on this in a different post:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71298-roadmap-transparency-ie-how-many-upvotes-does-a-feature-request-need-before-you-actually-implement-itwork-on-it/

Long story short:  Votes clearly don't mean squat, and the devs work on what they want regardless of user requests, votes, or premium subscriber status.  If you make a suggestion they like, you might have a chance, maybe, at some indeterminate point in the future, that they will work on it.  If they don't like it, well, you will kindly get told to go kick rocks.

funwithmedia is right, you just need to wait, seriously the topic is only 2 months old!!

Why should the devs drop everything they're working on just to do this?  Why should this request be placed in front of all others?  Plus, 'support' for this probably isn't as clear cut as just counting all the people who agree with the OP that there is a (very!) slight problem.  For myself, I agree with the OP that there needs to be some indication of special features, but I also agree with the devs that actors should stay where they are.

As I showed a few pages back, this is effectively switching around 2 lines of code.  This could be knocked out in an hour, unlike many of the other feature requests around here that would require new code to be written from scratch + debugging.  Even if they didn't go the route of moving the extras above the cast and crew, there is still an easy implementation that was suggested through the discussion within this thread:  Add a button (similar to the trailers button) that will show up when extras are present.  At least that way there is some visual indication that extras exist, without having to click past the cast on every single movie just to see if the movie has extras.  Again, this should be a fairly easy implementation that shouldn't take much time, albeit slightly longer that just switching the display order, but still fairly quick.

Asking people to wait 2+ years for a basic feature request that adds visual value to your product is nonsense, particularly when your competitors already have this as a standard implementation.  

In the meantime: Filter by Extras.

Huh? Where is this option?  How exactly would I do that? I'm looking all over in the menu on the Shield and I'm not seeing this as an option.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
miniliQuid

Added my vote to the original post and fully agree with it.

KNOWING there are extra's are higher priority than having to scroll a tad bit further for checking cast which you totally know is there.

Most often I check trailer anyway, so only if I see actors I can't fully remember/recognize I go to cast to check who it is or what shows/movies they played in.

I do however think an EXTRAS button next to trailers will do just fine in showing that they are there, problem solved either way.

But I do think it crucial to let us know that it is there cause as stated by many, it's 5% (max probably) of most libraries that will have m.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
CChris

I also add my vote to this - but I would consider, to implement an option, that every user could arrange the items of the page as he prefers.
This would allow, that the actors section is the top section for those, who are more interested in these information, than for the extras or chapter section of that movie.

Others could just change the order of the elements as they'd prefer.

• 3 weeks later...
crusher11

Thinking about this, I like the idea of a button linking to a new page, with the added advantage of using a TV-series style layout on the Extras page. That way descriptions, etc are visible for each extra as well.

• Like 2