Reposition Extras above Cast and Crew, so you can see they are there without having to scroll down

BlazedMonkey

rbjtech

I understand where you are coming from here, but this negates the entire premise of automation that emby revolves around. Having to go in and manually tag everything like that when you already have thousands of movies in your collection is not the best solution, particularly when many other solutions have been put forward here that would automate the task, both for prior movies as well as those newly added.

Agreed - I guess I should have used the term temporary solution - in my case, I do not have that many Extra's - so I simply listed them using the 'Extras' column within Reports to identify them - but for those with 100's/1000's then I can see this would not be a practical workaround.  You have my support for a proper 'Extras' Button alongside the others (as per my original post), or although not as elegant, an Auto Tag if that was deemed easier to implement.

• Like 1

The problem with buttons is that real estate is the most expensive on the screen. Those buttons are usually 4 or 5 across and that is it. The rest goes into the last button under "more..." which moves some of the options off screen. Which buttons deserve the screen space and which deserve the more button? That is a debate for another day. But the issue is creating an entirely new button called "extras" means where does it go? To the primary button space next to trailers? If so which button gets moved to more? You start to slow down progress because as you develop it you run into these questions. Before we E V E R get there we want to know how this scenario plays out. 

So this is more HOW do you as users want the extras shown? The row works for the majority otherwise this thread would have so many pages it would be in effect endless. It isn't that. But this vocal minority also deserves respect. This is why I ask if it is a button how do we do that? Would it be really disruptive to put it within the trailer button? Adding it to the trailer button means it must spawn a dialog with both an trailers row and extras row for you to choose from.

There are multiple ways to go here and the least disruptive and easiest deployed would be best. Easiest deployed means the server doesn't have to get involved. The apps just do as told and adjust. If the server has to get involved it requires changes to both the server and the apps. Realize as well, all changes require time to develop. Just because things can be done quickly doesn't mean they should. They eat into time that could be "spent" elsewhere on more important.

This is why like all things we need more feedback. Like the robot from short circuit says. Johnny number 5. It says "MORE INPUT, STEPHANIE! NEED MORE INPUT!" .. this is what we need. How should we design the extras? How would you? Are you a designer and can show mockups? Mockups help convey your idea clearly. Please provide mockups or clear details on how this should be. I mean how many people would like your idea? You cannot know yours is best without others seeing it. Maybe the old way is best. You cannot tell without trying to make it better.

Final Thought: A button will not be better than a row to most people. This is why it was designed as a row to begin with. It had short life merged with trailers as a button and it was shouted down in flames. Main take away from that was most (well over 90%) of people hated it. Extras became a row and trailers its own button shortly after.

BTW. We prototype new ideas all the time. Your idea might be awesome. Share it. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

skidmarks

I recall a huge debate about the delete button and i think moving the cast & crew to the top a while ago.  This is a dammed if you do dammed if you don't.  The perfect storm...

I think what bothers me the most is if you have chapter images enabled they are below everything.  This is just not logical.  I know they are there, but are they to anyone else using my server?

Thinking Chapter images / extras / cast and crew is the order this should be displayed.  If you don't have any of these then wouldn't cast & crew just be on the top anyway?

I love a good button...  But sounds like real estate is at a premium.

Edited by skidmarks

miniliQuid

I recall a huge debate about the delete button and i think moving the cast & crew to the top a while ago.  This is a dammed if you do dammed if you don't.  The perfect storm...

I think what bothers me the most is if you have chapter images enabled they are below everything.  This is just not logical.  I know they are there, but are they to anyone else using my server?

Thinking Chapter images / extras / cast and crew is the order this should be displayed.  If you don't have any of these then wouldn't cast & crew just be on the top anyway?

I love a good button...  But sounds like real estate is at a premium.

Don't forget that some people may have plenty of extras yet still favor cast & crew on top.

So for them this would still cause an issue.

The way I currently see it is that there is an issue with visibility and it needs solving.

Many users won't know there are extras available if they do not scroll down (my users generally don't scroll down).

I thought the button was a great solution since it is in plain sight and will scroll you down to where you need to go.

Now it can push favorite or delete to the more section since almost any user will know it's available (and some won't even have delete options).

I mean series have "play next" and "play all" as additional options pushing the delete button as well.

Another solution could be simply two rows of buttons?

Change nothing else but create a button for every category (cast & crew, chapters, collection, extras, etc).

Scrolling down would still show everything in the order it is now.

The only other thing I can think of is making things optional/adjustable for each server (or even user perhaps).

Good example is the home screen where you can select what you want to see in which order and what you don't want on the home page.

I find this one of the best features of emby since every user can customize it the way they like it and so they know how to find their way in their own account.

My guess is that would cost a lot more time/work though?

Edited by miniliQuid

funwithmedia

Agreed - I guess I should have used the term temporary solution - in my case, I do not have that many Extra's - so I simply listed them using the 'Extras' column within Reports to identify them - but for those with 100's/1000's then I can see this would not be a practical workaround.  You have my support for a proper 'Extras' Button alongside the others (as per my original post), or although not as elegant, an Auto Tag if that was deemed easier to implement.

I wonder if whenever Smart Playlists and Smart Collections are developed, if something like Smart Tags could use much of the same underlying code? The idea being that users can then assign Tags based on conditions (ie, the same sets of conditions that can be used for Smart Playlists and Smart Collections), and so then could create a Tag called Extras (or, "HEY, scroll down, there's more fun viewing to be had!!" :P ) that gets assigned if there are extras.

• Like 1

rbjtech

The problem with buttons is that real estate is the most expensive on the screen. Those buttons are usually 4 or 5 across and that is it. The rest goes into the last button under "more..." which moves some of the options off screen. Which buttons deserve the screen space and which deserve the more button? That is a debate for another day. But the issue is creating an entirely new button called "extras" means where does it go? To the primary button space next to trailers? If so which button gets moved to more? You start to slow down progress because as you develop it you run into these questions. Before we E V E R get there we want to know how this scenario plays out. 

So this is more HOW do you as users want the extras shown? The row works for the majority otherwise this thread would have so many pages it would be in effect endless. It isn't that. But this vocal minority also deserves respect. This is why I ask if it is a button how do we do that? Would it be really disruptive to put it within the trailer button? Adding it to the trailer button means it must spawn a dialog with both an trailers row and extras row for you to choose from.

There are multiple ways to go here and the least disruptive and easiest deployed would be best. Easiest deployed means the server doesn't have to get involved. The apps just do as told and adjust. If the server has to get involved it requires changes to both the server and the apps. Realize as well, all changes require time to develop. Just because things can be done quickly doesn't mean they should. They eat into time that could be "spent" elsewhere on more important.

This is why like all things we need more feedback. Like the robot from short circuit says. Johnny number 5. It says "MORE INPUT, STEPHANIE! NEED MORE INPUT!" .. this is what we need. How should we design the extras? How would you? Are you a designer and can show mockups? Mockups help convey your idea clearly. Please provide mockups or clear details on how this should be. I mean how many people would like your idea? You cannot know yours is best without others seeing it. Maybe the old way is best. You cannot tell without trying to make it better.

Final Thought: A button will not be better than a row to most people. This is why it was designed as a row to begin with. It had short life merged with trailers as a button and it was shouted down in flames. Main take away from that was most (well over 90%) of people hated it. Extras became a row and trailers its own button shortly after.

BTW. We prototype new ideas all the time. Your idea might be awesome. Share it. Thanks. :)

Hi - A little test for your Speechles .. without clicking or scrolling ..

Does this Movie have Extra's ?

5dee9bd11a7c7_noextras.jpg

How about now ?  Have you changed your opinion ?

5dee9c06dd154_extras2.png

I am now notified that there are 'Extras' without needing to click a thing.   I can make the decision myself - I can click the Extra's button - and the Web Page should jump to the Extra's Row.  

If there are no Extra's - there will be no Extra's button and subsequently no Extra's row.

I'm really not fussed if Extra's go above Cast, my personal opinion is Chapters go above Cast (!) but that's my view (and my usage pattern).

I never use 'Trailers' - so to me - that is waste of screen estate as a permanent button, so why not put that in 'More' as well ?

Why not make the row order / Button selection configurable - the same way you can create your 'Home Screen' order ?

Then everyone will be happy ..  :D

To add - on TV Series, I'm not sure why 'Trailer' is still there after I have started watching the Series - as it's surely redundant at this point ?  The same could be said for watched Movies ...

Edited by rbjtech

Happy2Play

No removing Trailers button will not make everyone happy.  I would use a Trailers button a lot more the every using a Extras button..  

Sure this can be done in the web client easily, but you are asking every developer to add it to every platform.  Everyone has there own needs and there is no way to please everyone.

The Delete button raised just as much debate also, but personally believe it should only appear on More options menu.

I agree with happy2play as I'm the only person/user who can delete any content and that's my admin account. So that button could be placed into the more button/options instead of in the main lineup but keep the trailers button where it is

• 2 weeks later...
miniliQuid

Sure this can be done in the web client easily, but you are asking every developer to add it to every platform.

Not really getting your point here. So only adjustments to the web client are fair game?

When was it considered to implement options for the home screen, rather than having specific rows that aren't optional?

This had to be done in every client as well I assume?

I guess my home screen wouldn't look the same as 90% of the other emby users, which makes sense (it could but it probably won't).

So how is this different? My guess is that many people would want to order this differently as well.

That's how most smart phones work as well, can even adjust the top of the screen settings, which I want on the first row so they pop-up when I slide down once, sliding down again will show the rest of the button menu rather than only the first 5.

Now not everything has to be customizable, but in this case my personal opinion is that at least 1 of 2 options should be customizable, to fix issues with extra's (which is main issue for this topic) and collections (my personal pet peeve):

1. Adjustable rows so we can choose if cast is on top or something else.

2. Having buttons added, and allowing the button order to be changed, to be able to decide which is hidden within more and which is on shown on the screen right away.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...