Reposition Extras above Cast and Crew, so you can see they are there without having to scroll down

BlazedMonkey

BlazedMonkey

As it stands, when I click on a movie, I can see the main movie poster, and then a long row of the cast and crew.  If I don't scroll down, I don't know there are Extras for that particular movie.  Since very few of my movies actually have extras, I don't always think to check and see if they are there.

Extras should be similar to "Additional Parts" in the sense that they should be listed ABOVE the cast and crew.  There needs to be a visual break in the uniformity if there is something extra, so that the user knows it is there and not just another single file movie.  There is currently no visual indication (other than scrolling down) to show that a movie has extras.

EDIT:

What it looks like now:  https://imgur.com/SpnRbIh

5c91b239c34af_itcurrent.jpg

What I am describing:  https://imgur.com/Ek5okca

5c91b24b458a1_itreordered.jpg

If there are no extras for the movie, it will look exactly like the first picture, with the cast and crew at the top.

Would you rather see at a glance that there are extras, or would you rather have the bottom of your screen filled with foreheads?

Edited by BlazedMonkey
  • Like 22

schmitty

Or perhaps even an indicator in the media info area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Cast & Crew are what help you learn about a movie, which is why we feel it should be the first section after the main section.

• Like 3

BlazedMonkey

Cast & Crew are what help you learn about a movie, which is why we feel it should be the first section after the main section.

I can understand why you might feel that way, but I don't really think it works out that way when you consider the way we interface with the program.

The synopsis is what helps me learn about a movie. If I'm interested in learning more about a specific actor, then I will scroll down. Them being IN the movie doesn't help me learn more ABOUT the movie, and clicking on them only tells me more about the actor and their other roles, not more about that particular movie in itself.

Why is Addtional Parts above cast and crew then? The only thing additional parts tells me is to explain why the Runtime at the top of the screen is wrong...because there are additional parts.

The true crux of the issue is that there is no visual indication that a movie has Extras, unless you go out of your way to seek it out. Literally EVERY movie has a cast and crew. It is expected and known to the user that it will be there. Not every movie in a collection, and for some collections very few movies, will have extras, so it would make the most sense to highlight those things in some way when they are available. Reordering the display is the simplest way to do that. Otherwise, adding some visual indicator would be helpful, but less preferred.

You also have to consider that you have a lot more 'users' accessing Emby than you do 'server admins'. I'm not the only person accessing my library, so while I might know exactly which movies have extras (which I don't), that doesn't mean my users know which have extras. You would be surprised how many people, particularly older folks like my mom, would never even think to scroll down past the cast to look for extras. If I have to scroll past the cast and crew EVERY time to see if a movie has extras, and 95% of the time there aren't any, eventually I'm going to stop even looking for them. Conversly, if they were immediately noticeable right under the synopsis, I would ALWAYS know which movies had extras without any additional clicks. Only movies that actually HAVE extras will show the extras line, otherwise it is hidden and the cast is there like you see now.

• Like 4

Why is Addtional Parts above cast and crew then? The only thing additional parts tells me is to explain why the Runtime at the top of the screen is wrong

Additional parts really shouldn't be there at all. It really should all just be blended into one seamless, multi-file item. But we are just not there yet with multi-file videos.

But I wouldn't consider that in this discussion, knowing that the ideal design would be them not being visible at all.

BlazedMonkey

Additional parts really shouldn't be there at all. It really should all just be blended into one seamless, multi-file item. But we are just not there yet with multi-file videos.

But I wouldn't consider that in this discussion, knowing that the ideal design would be them not being visible at all.

Regardless of that, the rest of my points stand.

Hi.  We understand your point of view and it is documented here.  Now this feature request exists to see how many others feel the same way.

However, at this time, we feel the cast is a much higher priority item for most users.

Thanks.

• Like 2

crusher11

Why? Seriously. What do people use the cast for with such regularity?

Having to scroll paste three pages of cast & crew just to see if any extras even exist is a pain. It's unnecessary.

• Like 3

xiosensei

I think extras should be displayed ABOVE the cast and crew. Usually extras contain content about the movie and is more important than knowing the casts.

• Like 6

crusher11

It will be following the next app update. Thanks.

There's never going to be an update for the LG app though.

CBaldwinJ89

Extras are extra, they're low priority then cast and crew. Unless you mean guest starring? To me the way they have it now seems fit.

BlazedMonkey

Extras are extra, they're low priority then cast and crew. Unless you mean guest starring? To me the way they have it now seems fit.

I mean extras. Like behind the scenes footage and gag reels, featurettes, trailers, etc. that come on the Bluray or DVD as extras.

I'm curious, what percentage of the movies in your library have extras? How can you tell at a glance that a movie has them, without constantly having to scroll down and check, every single time?

The cast is literally always there. If, and only if, there are extras, they would be above the cast, that way you could see right away when you clicked in to the movie, that extras exist. If there were no extras, that line isn't even displayed, so you wouldn't see it anyway, and the cast and crew would be right where it is now.

I highly doubt most people here have extras for EVERY movie, or even half of their movies. Literally every movie has a cast. It makes sense to shift extras up in the minority of movies where they DO exist, so that it highlights that they are there.

Edited by BlazedMonkey
  • Like 2

aspdend

I mean extras. Like behind the scenes footage and gag reels, featurettes, trailers, etc. that come on the Bluray or DVD as extras.

I'm curious, what percentage of the movies in your library have extras? How can you tell at a glance that a movie has them, without constantly having to scroll down and check, every single time?

The cast is literally always there. If, and only if, there are extras, they would be above the cast, that way you could see right away when you clicked in to the movie, that extras exist. If there were no extras, that line isn't even displayed, so you wouldn't see it anyway, and the cast and crew would be right where it is now.

I highly doubt most people here have extras for EVERY movie, or even half of their movies. Literally every movie has a cast. It makes sense to shift extras up in the minority of movies where they DO exist, so that it highlights that they are there.

I disagree - on my films that have extras, I will watch the extras once and then probably never again - much more important to me is who is in the film, especially so I can easily click on them and see their Bio and what else they have been in that I own - I prefer the ordering as it is currently.

Edited by aspdend
  • Like 3

BlazedMonkey

I disagree - on my films that have extras, I will watch the extras once and then probably never again - much more important to me is who is in the film, especially so I can easily click on them and see their Bio and what else they have been in that I own - I prefer the ordering as it is currently.

But you ignored my questions:

Its not like cast and crew would just magically go away if there were extras. They would just be 1 more click down. And if the film didn't have extras, it would look exactly like it does now, with cast and crew directly below the movie.

Even some flag icon at the top would be a step ahead of where we are now, with ZERO visual indication that there are extras without manually scrolling down every single time. How are you going to watch them if you never realize they were there, because you didn't scroll down past thhe cast, and there was no visual indicator otherwise?

CBaldwinJ89

Maybe show a visualization of what you feel would look cohesive to the program. Now that I know what you mean I believe you are right. Cast and crew should be there, and then perhaps a plugin or an addition should be added to the movie about page. See my movies don't automatically come with featurettes, so maybe a plugin to aide in populating those resources.

aspdend

But you ignored my questions:

Its not like cast and crew would just magically go away if there were extras. They would just be 1 more click down. And if the film didn't have extras, it would look exactly like it does now, with cast and crew directly below the movie.

Even some flag icon at the top would be a step ahead of where we are now, with ZERO visual indication that there are extras without manually scrolling down every single time. How are you going to watch them if you never realize they were there, because you didn't scroll down past thhe cast, and there was no visual indicator otherwise?

Yes, I did ignore your questions - I don't know off the top of my head, what percentage of my movies have extras, I would say that maybe 5% of them do. There are probably more than that that actually have extras, but most of the extras are, in my opinion, superfluous padding that I haven't bothered to rip them form the disk. I cannot check if there are extras without scrolling down, but for a new film, we tend to watch it relatively soon after purchase and I know if there are extras as I have ripped it recently. For older films, I will have already seen any extras and generally don't want to bother seeing them again. There is the odd exception, like the Extended Lord of the Rings Films - but we know the extras are there for those films.

This is true - the cast would not disappear in favour fo the extras, but, personally, I would rather see the cast and crew above the extras because we quite like knowing who is playing whom in the film and also clicking on the person to see their bio and what else we have that they feature in - this is something that we do far more frequently than playing the extras and therefore to have it an additional click down would be a step backwards for the way we prefer to watch.

It would be of more benefit to have a flag or other indicator to highlight the fact there were extras available on the title, but still keep the actual extras below the cast and crew

• Like 1

BlazedMonkey

Yes, I did ignore your questions - I don't know off the top of my head, what percentage of my movies have extras, I would say that maybe 5% of them do. There are probably more than that that actually have extras, but most of the extras are, in my opinion, superfluous padding that I haven't bothered to rip them form the disk. I cannot check if there are extras without scrolling down, but for a new film, we tend to watch it relatively soon after purchase and I know if there are extras as I have ripped it recently. For older films, I will have already seen any extras and generally don't want to bother seeing them again. There is the odd exception, like the Extended Lord of the Rings Films - but we know the extras are there for those films.

Sure, that may work for you, but do you have any other users outside your local network? How would THEY know if there are extras? There are a lot of us out there that are supporting multiple users who just see new movies pop into the queue like magic, so they have no clue whether there is extras or not, unless they go out of their way to look for them.

This is true - the cast would not disappear in favour fo the extras, but, personally, I would rather see the cast and crew above the extras because we quite like knowing who is playing whom in the film and also clicking on the person to see their bio and what else we have that they feature in - this is something that we do far more frequently than playing the extras and therefore to have it an additional click down would be a step backwards for the way we prefer to watch.

It would be of more benefit to have a flag or other indicator to highlight the fact there were extras available on the title, but still keep the actual extras below the cast and crew

I'm not negating the importance of cast and crew, and in fact I use it in the same way as you do. I think it's a great feature. But as you said yourself, maybe 5% of your movies have extras, so only those specific ones would look different, so that they stand out in the crowd. Reordering would be the most logical way, as it breaks up the visual conformity and highlights that something is there that the rest of your movies don't have. A flag or icon would be good as well, but this would be a distant second choice for me, as this won't always show up well on smaller TV's.

Think of it this way:

Current way - have to scroll down on 100% of movies to check for extras. Cast always visible

Reordered - Have to scroll down to check for extras 0% of the time, cast visible 95% of the time.

• Like 2

aspdend

Sure, that may work for you, but do you have any other users outside your local network? How would THEY know if there are extras? There are a lot of us out there that are supporting multiple users who just see new movies pop into the queue like magic, so they have no clue whether there is extras or not, unless they go out of their way to look for them.

I'm not negating the importance of cast and crew, and in fact I use it in the same way as you do. I think it's a great feature. But as you said yourself, maybe 5% of your movies have extras, so only those specific ones would look different, so that they stand out in the crowd. Reordering would be the most logical way, as it breaks up the visual conformity and highlights that something is there that the rest of your movies don't have. A flag or icon would be good as well, but this would be a distant second choice for me, as this won't always show up well on smaller TV's.

Think of it this way:

Current way - have to scroll down on 100% of movies to check for extras. Cast always visible

Reordered - Have to scroll down to check for extras 0% of the time, cast visible 95% of the time.

It does indeed suit me - I was, after all, only offering my opinion as to how it works for me. I don't currently support any users outside of my network so that's not an issue for me. I understand where you are coming from, but for my personal preference, I like the way the devs have it currently - cast and crew before extras in all situations, then I don't have 5% of my films in a different format/order - that might suit you, but it doesn't suit me. If all the Emby users liked your post and it was changed, I would live with it, but it would still annoy me and I would hope that we may finally get some skins/themes (@@throgmorton and @@Cheesegeezer - I'm looking at you) for customisation like in the good old days so I could change it...

Personally, I like the idea of an indicator to highlight that there are extras - not sure how that would be implemented though.

BlazedMonkey

What it looks like now: 

5c91afc9bf1fe_itcurrent.jpg

What I am describing:

5c91af82ea552_itreordered.jpg

It will only show extras like this if there are extras available.  If there are none, it will look just like the first picture.

Would you rather see at a glance that there are extras, or would you rather have the bottom of your screen filled with foreheads?

Edited by BlazedMonkey
  • Like 4