Emby changes AlbumArtist based on gathered metadata

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

Though my files are meticulously tagged on MP3Tag, Emby will change albumartist name based on metadata gathered from musicbrainz.

That could be very good thing but it is not.

It has been causing a real mess on my databases destroying hours of tagging and data loss. 

Musicbrainz is not normalized. Their data is far from perfect.

Would there be a means as to define priority? Actual file data should be preferable than anything...

Thanks

• Like 2

EduardoSantos

I have one music album named "It's all one" by Friedrich Gulda and Klaus Weiss.

All tracks are tagged such as:

AlbumArtist "Friedrich Gulda"

Artist "Friedrich Gulda; Klaus Weiss"

Emby changes it to:

AlbumArtist "Klaus Weiss"

Artist "Klaus Weiss"

and I can't find the album when searching for "Friedrich Gulda"

This is just a sample. There are various other albuns wich I can't find on Emby though they were correctly tagged.

EduardoSantos

So is this the way it is supposed to work?

Please consider that on this sample I had an album correctly tagged with one of the artists listed on musicbrainz.
The link to the releasegroup is https://musicbrainz.org/release/19fa50e5-ded5-4683-8a24-2b0743cf447b

Both Gulda and Weiss are there. Both were tagged as track artists though just one was tagged as albumartist.

Edited by EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

I think problems are:

- Emby changed album artist to just one of the two album artists, namely the one that was not tagged.

- Emby changed track artist to the same album artist removing the other one (both of them were tagged).

- There are no means to solve the issue but editing database with dbbrowser. Internal Emby metadata editor does not allow to edit an album artist.

Vicpa

Hi,

It is a major bug in server 4.x. emby used to prioritize album artist tag over all else. The way it  is currently interpting musicbrainz_artistid produces inconsistent oftimes inaccurate results. 

It has been reported and discussed extemsively, what is missing is any diiscussion of a plan to fix it.

@@Luke it is a step backwards the way it is now. You would need to add musicbrainz's "release group" and search based on that. That would add a layer of complexity and further confuse emby users.

• 2 weeks later...
advanceratio

EDIT: I've solved that issue by realizing that a single AVTechNO! track had KarenT in the publisher field.  Deleting that, wiping all the .nfo files in the library, and then deleting and re-adding the library solved that particular issue.  Now I have a new and even more exciting problem where emby is picking certain albumartist fields, and just erasing them.  These seems like a different problem than this thread, so I'm going to start a new thread to discuss.

I am having a similar(?) issue.  I have had one artist (AVTechNO!) take over the album artist slot on all albums taggest with (KarenT) in the album artist tag.  This has happened for multiple albums that don't have a single song by AVTechNO.  For the record, MusicBrainz is disabled entirely for this library, so it isn't at fault.

For example, here's one of the affected albums in MP3Tag.  Note that I ripped this from my own CD (using EAC), so there's no possibility of hidden tags.

5c97d554a9d5f_MP3TagMM2018.png

Now, here's the metadata emby is using for the first track:
5c97d57fc8ef6_EmbyMM2018.png

There's literally no reason emby should be using that metadata, as its not part of any of those files.

Edited by advanceratio

Emby doesn't specifically use a publisher value as an artist, although I wonder if ffprobe might be doing that when there's no artist tag.