Looking for hardware advice from the community

Redshirt

Redshirt

Hey guys (and gal's?)

I'm looking to purchase another Android device to add to the range of devices I'm testing. Also I'm hopeful this device will end up permanently under a TV in my home. Currently I have this, but I find it very twitchy and the wireless speed could be better. Not to mention I've had a hard time finding a controller I really like.

A few key features I'm looking for

• 1080p. My current device is supposed to be but the screen goes bananas when I enable it. So I'm stuck at 720p
  • Powerful. I'm looking for something that is snappy like my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 gen-2.
  • Fast LAN. Either WiFi or Ethernet are fine. I just want decent network performance.
  • Functional Controller. I'd like the remote or whatever to feel like part of the device. I know this one's a longshot.

Reading the above, it sounds like I want the moon. I'm sure I'll have to make concessions, but I'd love advice from the community on what would be a good TV-Connected device.

christoph86

Checkout the newest from Tronsmart Vega.  It's something I looked into prior to it coming out but haven't followed it much since it's release.  It has the newest Amlogic Quad core chip.  The remote on this doesn't look too impressive though.

http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Vega-S89-Android-Amlogic/dp/B00JGGK8II

Edited by christoph86

sfnetwork

If there is an IR, I can use my Harmony remote with it. About the remote matter, that's a must for me...

I'm also interested in testing those Android devices.... 

Macburp

The trouble with these android boxes is short shelf life (rapid innovation rather than take a little time to put together quality product), poor performance when used over a reasonable period of time (eg, that vega box has issues already identified, see the comments), and very few independent reviews. These boxes just seem cheap.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned on any MB3 forum the Asus Chromebox - a fully functioning HTPC for $175, which can have Linux hacked on to it fairly easily in dual-boot mode with Chrome OS. Any chance of porting the android app to Chrome? Say no politely :) 

Redshirt

that's the feeling I get too, that they are truly disposable items. 

I don't plan on porting the Android client to Chrome. However if you can get the Android OS on a Chromebox :)

christoph86

The trouble with these android boxes is short shelf life (rapid innovation rather than take a little time to put together quality product), poor performance when used over a reasonable period of time (eg, that vega box has issues already identified, see the comments), and very few independent reviews. These boxes just seem cheap.

Agreed, a lot of them are very cheaply made and newer and newer tech is coming out all the time.  But if they are functional, they are very nice to have.  It will improve over time.

However if you can get the Android OS on a Chromebox :)

This! 

Lee

From my time with android phones and the one tablet (the last aswell) i just think android has too much going on. It's a mishmash. Baytrail nuc with openelec/linux/windows all day long imho....

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

Redshirt

I've been contemplating getting and android box for tv use for some time now. I need something to help me pull the trigger ;) ;) Maybe an android version designed for tv with live tv support. 

Was looking at these

http://cubox-i.com/

http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEOSeries.htm 

That Minix Neo X7 looks pretty good.

Redshirt

Fire TV. This thing is a beast.

That is so obvious I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it before asking. Especially if I'm planning on supporting it with the new UI :)

sfnetwork

That is so obvious I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it before asking. Especially if I'm planning on supporting it with the new UI :)

Lol. I took for granted that you meant besides FireTV.

But no love for Canada

Sent from Tapatalk.

Edited by sfnetwork

Redshirt

That's OK. I only live 15 minutes from the border and I have a post-office box in Sumas. I just need to figure out how I'm going to purchase from Amazon.com. They don't accept Canadian credit cards. The buggers.

Edited by Redshirt

christoph86

Maybe an android version designed for tv with live tv support. 

The Ceton Echo could have been this if they made it with good hardware.

Koleckai Silvestri

That's OK. I only live 15 minutes from the border and I have a post-office box in Sumas. I just need to figure out how I'm going to purchase from Amazon.com. They don't accept Canadian credit cards. The buggers.

Buy a Visa Gift Card in Sumas.

• Like 1

Macburp

Agreed, a lot of them are very cheaply made and newer and newer tech is coming out all the time.  But if they are functional, they are very nice to have.  It will improve over time.

This! 

That if is massive. I don't believe any of these chinese boxes really deliver that. The Fire TV might, but using that box really sucks you into Amazon's ecosystem, which isn't what I want.

Macburp

I don't plan on porting the Android client to Chrome. However if you can get the Android OS on a Chromebox :)

There's a great thread over at xbmc.org where they have openelec and ubuntu working on this Chromebox. Googling shows that it is possible to put android onto various chromebooks so - maybe. I've asked the question over at xbmc.org, we'll see what comes.

Have you considered an Ouya?

• Like 1

Redshirt

I have considered the Ouya. I'll probably get one in a few months. It'd be great if when I start showing off the Android 10' UI to the public that some of these companies want me to test their hardware rather than having to buy everything under the sun :)

• Like 1

christoph86

That if is massive. I don't believe any of these chinese boxes really deliver that. The Fire TV might, but using that box really sucks you into Amazon's ecosystem, which isn't what I want.

Yep, they are cheap for a reason.  As for the Fire TV, I couldn't agree more.  It seems to be a solid system, but so far it has not been rooted and you can't sideload apps from what I have heard, so you are essentially stuck with their ecosystem.  I recently got a MadCatz MOJO (it ain't cheap).  If you like emulators this thing has been great running Nintendo, Sega, N64 and Dreamcast apps for emulation.  Several Android games have done well on it that I have tried, most recently have been playing GTA III and it runs like a dream.   Media streaming has had a few issues that I can't boil down to anything.  Sometimes apps like HBOGO and Mediabrowser run great, other nights it doesn't.  All on wifi, it does have an ethernet port as well.  The unit has some random freezing issues when streaming, but I believe it to be software issues rather than hardware.  Not a unit I can recommend at the moment unless you do primarily gaming. The controller that comes with it is great though, it has a gaming mode, mouse mode and pc mode.   

meatrack

As for the Fire TV, I couldn't agree more.  It seems to be a solid system, but so far it has not been rooted and you can't sideload apps from what I have heard, so you are essentially stuck with their ecosystem.

You can sideload apps. I have XBMC on it right now and it runs great. Too impatient to wait on the 10' UI.

And it has Netflix, Hulu, etc, so no, you aren't locked into their content. HBOGO is on the way too.

I just connected my XBOX 360 controller to it and played a few games too. It can't be beat for $99.

Koleckai Silvestri

You can sideload apps. I have XBMC on it right now and it runs great. Too impatient to wait on the 10' UI.

And it has Netflix, Hulu, etc, so no, you aren't locked into their content. HBOGO is on the way too.

I just connected my XBOX 360 controller to it and played a few games too. It can't be beat for $99.

However MediaBrowser is already available on the Amazon Android store. I use it on my Fire HDX tablet without problems. You can just load it on the Fire TV box from their store.

meatrack

However MediaBrowser is already available on the Amazon Android store. I use it on my Fire HDX tablet without problems. You can just load it on the Fire TV box from their store.

I use it on my HDX as well. No, you can't just load it on the Fire TV from their store, yet.

That's why I'm twiddling my thumbs as I wait on the new UI. I could probably sideload it, but why do that when it won't work well.