How to have different actors for different TV Seasons

One2Go

One2Go

I am trying to figure out how to have different actors display in different seasons of the same TV show for example:

True Detective has all different actors for season 1, season 2 and season 3. How can you display the different actors in the different seasons? Can this be done manually?

There will be a second show for me Charité. Season 1 dealt with characters around World War 1 and season 2 will deal with characters living during the Nazi times.

Thanks for any suggestions.

O2G

PS: I tried to get the roles for the actors for StarTrek Discovery but it would not find the roles just the actors and the few pictures of them. I do use XML files for metadata.

I think you'd need to define them as Guest stars for each episode.

The way this data is saved doesn't work very well for anthology series...

One2Go

They can be stored by season, just not displayed that way. It really should be fixed.

I do agree with this because some TV shows that have several seasons do change the lead actors and change the cast that should be reflected in the seasons. Has this ever been requested as a feature or a bug fix?

In addition what about not finding the roles of the actors for StarTrek Discovery? I did add them manually so far for newly added TV shows the actors roles did not show up but then when in the Metadata manager doing a metadata refresh fixed this in the past but not this time.

PenkethBoy

if you add actors to a Season - they display in the web app - but at the bottom of the page below the episodes

One2Go

One of the reasons like the actors to appear in the normal place is that in EMC with Throg's themes I just click on the actor and it shows me what other TV show or movie they appeared in as well as a picture of them. If I have the media on my server it has a check mark next to it if not on the server it just lists it. A neat feature to get additional content of actors you just found out you liked.

PenkethBoy

it does that in emby as well when you click on an actor and go to their detail page???

One2Go

I understand that this works in the web app but I believe it only shows what you have on your server, while in my setup it brings up the filmography showing episodes in TV shows and movies were set actor appears. Those that are on the server have a check mark others where the actor appeared in will just be listed.

PenkethBoy

ah so completely different - you are asking for Emby to go to the internet and pull additional data from X site and add it to the detail screen (and/or other locations)

daedalus

tmdb offers this information on season base, so the metadata exist

don't know anything bout the api access, but emby was never good, nor showed will, on pulling and showing these kind of additional "non standard" informations

Edited by daedalus

One2Go

Plug here for @@throgmorton and his most excellent themes for EMC. Here is what it shows for the movie Master & Commander.

Detail screen

5c84737c5da3c_WMC3.jpg

Selecting Paul Bettany

5c8473b5812c7_WMC4.jpg

Paul Bettany's biography

5c847425c1c64_WMC5.jpg

Don't know where Throgmorton gets the metadata from but it is integral to his themes. You also now understand why it would be excellent to have the different actors of different seasons of TV shows being displayed. For example in season 3 of True Detective you have Mahershala Ali but he also appears in Green Book. Don't know if this goes under feature request or if it never got finished or broken in the updates.

For shows that I want to keep I temporarily added manually the additional actors and ordered them according to most recent appearance. A royal PITA but fortunately only few of them.

PenkethBoy

Its going to be a feature request - as i dont remember the "Stars In" equivalent ever being available in Emby

tmdb offers this information on season base, so the metadata exist

don't know anything bout the api access, but emby was never good, nor showed will, on pulling and showing these kind of additional "non standard" informations

But we have a Tmdb metadata provider, so can't you just enable that, if that's what you want?

Happy2Play

But we have a Tmdb metadata provider, so can't you just enable that, if that's what you want?

Emby does not display Season level information even thought it is available in \cache\tmdb-tv\x\season-x-en.json, (only overview, episode list)

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Even if you edit the cast manually for a season?

They appear at the bottom as mentioned in post 5.0

5c84854fc2c83_season.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

crusher11

Seasons don't appear if you click on an actor, though. If they're not listed on the show/episode level nothing displays.