Transcoding

Ninko

Ninko

I have a Roku streaming stick+ and I've found that some videos Emby is transcoding for. I'm not sure but it seems to be videos that has a secondary audio stream of AC3 5.1

Can someone help please?

Hi there, did you check the server dashboard during playback to learn why it is transcoding?

Ninko

Something like, media bitrate exceeds limit.

I tried playing the same file on my android phone and no transcoding occurred then.

Then that is your answer. It is transcoding based on the in-app quality setting in the Roku app. Have you explored that?

Ninko

I've just tried changing the Roku app streaming quality setting to the max and that then allows direct play.

So there seems to be a problem with the Auto setting.

I've just tried changing the Roku app streaming quality setting to the max and that then allows direct play.

So there seems to be a problem with the Auto setting.

Not necessarily.

If your item starts stuttering or buffering, then you'll know why :).

Ninko

Well I played a few files now and they've been fine, direct play, but the moment I put it back to auto, transcoding starts again!

Ninko

I meant to say, I haven't set any kind of bitrate limits anywhere, so I don't understand.

Are you on your local network?

The detection isn't perfect but it is usually fairly accurate in a stable environment.  It does try to be conservative though so maybe this item is just "right on the edge".

Ninko

I'm doing it over the internet, but as I said, using the same upload connection I tried it on my android phone and it was fine on there without changing anything, which is why I was wondering if the problem was on the Roku app?

You need to be using the Emby Beta app. Now play your item and press down on the remote. The OSD appears and at the bottom is a little graphic equalizer with 3-sliders. Click that and it will open the Playback Menu. Inside the Playback Menu is the on/off switch for the new stats-for-nerds display. Turn stats-for-nerds on. Now if you use AUTO for bitrate/quality the stats-for-nerds will tell you what was determined. What bitrate does it show in stats-for-nerds next to the Max Bitrate Setting: Auto (XXX)? The XXX part within parenthesis what does it show on yours? You can leave stats-for-nerds on and it will remember to come back each time you play your video.

Edited by speechles

Ninko

But doesn't auto basically just mean unlimited, ie adjust to whatever bitrate the video is?

Auto means you do not want the hassle of detecting the bitrate. You just want something that may/will provide the best experience possible. It will send a large data packet broken into chunks from the server to the app. The app knows when this starts and when this finishes. Takes the size of the entire data packet divide by the total time it took to get the last of the packets for the data and there ya go. It is supposed to be the average bitrate your network supports while this happens. There are several factors they may cause this to "guess" wrong. Which is all the auto-detection is doing. Making the best guess for your network based on the law of averages. The same way every speed test figures out your bandwidth you can maintain for maximum download and upload speeds.

If you are after a curated experience where you are in control of this it is offered. You can adjust the bitrate to anything you want on-the-fly during playback with the OSD(playback menu) and the app will adjust accordingly the playback method. You can go from DirectPlay to Transcoding then back to DirectPlay just by adjust bitrate/quality all while the video plays all within the OSD. This is so users can craft their bitrate perfectly with less button presses. If you have already done that..Well..This is as deep as it goes. You are done. Now comes the part where you just sit back and enjoy. 

Edited by speechles

Ninko

I have attached a picture showing what you asked for but I still don't understand why auto has been set so low when my upload speed is +6Mbps?

post-407158-0-60346800-1552158868_thumb.jpg

If your server upload speed is only 6Mb/s then auto is probably doing the right thing.  That is fairly low and most likely a "burst" number rather than sustained.

Ninko

That's the guaranteed speed, and like I said the video is only just over 2mbps. Ever since increasing the stream setting it's been running fine, so I beg to differ that the auto setting is working correctly on Roku.