SSL connection in Emby Client (How to disable? )

thesolidsnake99

thesolidsnake99

So in the Plex Client in the settings page you can set a setting to "Prefer insecure connection" : "Always" . This means you will now connect over non-ssl.

Firstly does the Emby Client on LG TV attempt to connect over SSL . And if it does, how can I tell the Client to not use SSL and to use an insecure connection ?

Thanks

Hi, we dont' currently have an option like that. If the server is configured to require SSL, then that's what the app will do.

thesolidsnake99

Is it possible to get an option like that. So the server could be set to allow both and then the client has an option to choose SSL or not?

Reason i ask is I found on plex (and got told by plex dev) that on high bitrate 4k above 60Mbps the tv can't process TLS packets fast enough on a secure connection so you get buffering even if your network speed is fast enough. As soon as i turned off SSL there was no buffering on high bitrate. I presume its something to do woth the tv processing and i guess emby would have the same issue?

Therefore to fix the issue SSL connection would need to be tirned off and it would be easier if this could be controlled in an app setting.

Whats your thoughts?

Also is there anyway i can tell / check to know if i am connected to a server via SSL or not? This is a server that someone is sharing with me. What can i do to find out?

Edited by thesolidsnake99

It's possible for the future.

We don't display anywhere if a connection is ssl but that's a good idea.

macnb

Hi, we dont' currently have an option like that. If the server is configured to require SSL, then that's what the app will do.

Hi Luke, you "If the server is configured to require SSL", but do you mean the Emby Server and if so, how is the Emby server configured for SSL ?

Q-Droid

Is it possible to get an option like that. So the server could be set to allow both and then the client has an option to choose SSL or not?

Reason i ask is I found on plex (and got told by plex dev) that on high bitrate 4k above 60Mbps the tv can't process TLS packets fast enough on a secure connection so you get buffering even if your network speed is fast enough. As soon as i turned off SSL there was no buffering on high bitrate. I presume its something to do woth the tv processing and i guess emby would have the same issue?

Therefore to fix the issue SSL connection would need to be tirned off and it would be easier if this could be controlled in an app setting.

Whats your thoughts?

Also is there anyway i can tell / check to know if i am connected to a server via SSL or not? This is a server that someone is sharing with me. What can i do to find out?

Are you talking about local network or remote connections? For me all LAN devices connect non-SSL automatically and remote connections are required to use SSL. You can check in your Emby server logs to see how the TV is connecting, likely HTTP and not HTTPS.

Edit: I just noticed this is a shared server so likely remote. The server logs show the connection type. The server owner would have to allow non-SSL for remote connections. The owner would also need to have the necessary upstream bandwidth to handle that 4k 60mbps content you mentioned.

Edited by Q-Droid