How to get more out of Harmony Remotes?

Sammy

Sammy

@@ebr

What will it take to add in more shortcuts?

If Kodi can do it it surely seems Emby can too?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

You are pretty much limited to these options

5c86dd989e1be_61Q8h8ixHrL_SL1200_.jpg

That's not exactly correct.  The Fire remote is a better baseline.

The app will already respond to:

FF/Rew as well as SkipAhead/back

Play/Pause

Stop

Navigation/OK

Back/Escape

Menu

Guide

(Controller equivalents of the above)

What else are you hoping for?

Sammy

That's not exactly correct. The Fire remote is a better baseline.

The app will already respond to:

FF/Rew as well as SkipAhead/back

Play/Pause

Stop

Navigation/OK

Back/Escape

Menu

Guide

(Controller equivalents of the above)

What else are you hoping for?

Guide.. how does one engage it via remote?

Info (Movie / Episode Synapsis?) would be nice.

What does Menu display and how does one engage it via remote?

Thanks @@ebr

Sammy

And how to program the difference between FFWD and Skip or RWD and Skip Back?

What settings for a Harmony Remote to accomplish this?

And how to program the difference between FFWD and Skip or RWD and Skip Back?

There is no difference between these buttons which is why I listed them together.  Some remotes have FF/Rew others have skip so we treat them both the same.

Guide.. how does one engage it via remote?

I can't answer that question as it is dependent on your remote and setup.

What does Menu display and how does one engage it via remote?

Menu gives you a context menu when focused on an item.  How you trigger it, again, I cannot answer as it depends on your remote and setup.

Info (Movie / Episode Synapsis?) would be nice.

I imagine this will already produce the OSD during playback - as long as it isn't trapped by your TV and produces its info screen.

Sammy

There is no difference between these buttons which is why I listed them together.  Some remotes have FF/Rew others have skip so we treat them both the same.

I can't answer that question as it is dependent on your remote and setup.

Menu gives you a context menu when focused on an item.  How you trigger it, again, I cannot answer as it depends on your remote and setup.

I imagine this will already produce the OSD during playback - as long as it isn't trapped by your TV and produces its info screen.

I am trying to set this up on several Harmony 900's and one Harmony Elite if that helps.

I do not get any thing from Guide or Info and Menu takes me to the ShieldTV Home Screen. Going to the Emby AndroidTV App's Home Screen would be ideal! Also, another one missed from WMC is the DVR and LiveTV buttons. DVR, takes you to recordings and LiveTV to, well, LiveTV. Replicating these would be nice but better yet would be one button for TV Series and another for Movies..

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
hayrund

Is there any update on this?  Since it's Android, couldn't "Guide" be mapped to a specific keyboard command?  The same for Live TV and DVR/Recordings as well?  I'm about to add HDHR Prime Cable channels and possibly an IPTV source, number key support would be awesome as well, specifically for use in the TV Guide.

Is any of this possible?  I use a FLIRC on my Shield and program keyboard commands for use in Kodi, I then use Harmony Elite and numerous Harmony 700's.

It is potentially possible but not a slam dunk as there are a number of questions and scenarios that would need to be worked through.  For instance, you are watching a movie and hit the "Guide" button - are we supposed to stop the movie and go to the guide?  And, with direct navigation links like that it will create the situation of the app building a huge backstack which then necessitates the need for some sort of "Home" that will clear out that back stack.  All those types of things can be worked through but they need some thoughtful design and will also take time to develop and test and, since this is a feature only a very small subset of users would take advantage of, we simply haven't spent the time to do that yet.

We will at some point.

hayrund

It is potentially possible but not a slam dunk as there are a number of questions and scenarios that would need to be worked through.  For instance, you are watching a movie and hit the "Guide" button - are we supposed to stop the movie and go to the guide?  And, with direct navigation links like that it will create the situation of the app building a huge backstack which then necessitates the need for some sort of "Home" that will clear out that back stack.  All those types of things can be worked through but they need some thoughtful design and will also take time to develop and test and, since this is a feature only a very small subset of users would take advantage of, we simply haven't spent the time to do that yet.

We will at some point.

I would think your example of hitting "guide" while watching a movie will stop the movie and go to the guide is acceptable.  A picture-in-picture solution would be great too, but if it meant that I could get my remote control shortcut sooner, I would love to see it.  Also, number key support on the guide would be great.  The native Android TV Live Channels application supports this and for those of us with hundreds or maybe even thousands of channels, it would be awesome to go directly to them!

Thank you for the feedback.  I find it refreshing that I can post a suggestion or a question and someone from the staff actually responds, unlike the "other media server".

• Like 1

Sammy

Can we do a poll to see user demand? Should we? LOL

• Like 1

FYI - you can go directly to a channel in the guide using the (#) toolbar button...