50 replies to this topic

#1 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 AM

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:19 PM

The beta version that just went up has several improvements and fixes during playback.  Some of these were major changes so have the potential to cause unforeseen problems.  Please report any issues you encounter out here.

Two of the main things you will notice are for Live TV.  You can now start and stop recordings for the current channel from the OSD and also produce a mini-guide while live TV is playing.

Enjoy!

• HRSCR likes this

#2 RogerK OFFLINE  

RogerK

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 AM
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

I like the popup guide but I find when the playing show buffers for even a second the mini-guide seems to loose focus and I can no longer navigate in it.

#3 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:06 AM

Very interesting.  What happens if you press the "back" button?

Does it dismiss the guide or stop playback altogether?

#4 RogerK OFFLINE  

RogerK

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

It goes back to the play back screen showing the same as when I launched the mini-guide.  but it seems to require a second back to clear the playback position popup before I can reload the playback popup and relaunch the mini-guide, On the first back press from the mini-guide I can not navigate the play back position popup.

#5 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:18 PM

When you say "buffering" you mean that you get the blank screen with the purple progress bar from the Roku player?

#6 RogerK OFFLINE  

RogerK

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:27 PM

Yes. On my Roku every time I start watching a channel I get that screen for about a second 10 or 20 seconds after starting and occasionally about a minute later.

#7 datanet OFFLINE  

datanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

There appears to be a few pixel thick line of noise that goes across the top of the screen when watching Live TV.  This does not appear on the non-beta Roku Emby app.  It also does not appear when playing any content from my media library.  So it only appears with Live TV in the beta app.  This is on a Roku TV.  I have a standalone Roku Ultra and will test later to see if it does it on that as well. 

#8 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:43 PM

There appears to be a few pixel thick line of noise that goes across the top of the screen when watching Live TV.  This does not appear on the non-beta Roku Emby app.  

You tested on the exact same Roku, TV and input?

The only way there could be any playback differences between the two versions of the app is if one of them is direct playing while the other transcodes.  The player is the same.

#9 datanet OFFLINE  

datanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:46 AM

You tested on the exact same Roku, TV and input?

The only way there could be any playback differences between the two versions of the app is if one of them is direct playing while the other transcodes.  The player is the same.

As mentioned in my post, I was going to do further testing with a standalone Roku Ultra.  I was able to test on that device and I did NOT experience the issue with the beta Emby app.

Since I have multiple TCL Roku TVs (various sizes and models) in the kids' rooms...I tested on the other TCL Roku TVs and experienced the same video line noise at the top of the screen.  The beta app caused a line of video noise at the top and the non-beta Emby version worked fine.  So...in summary, I am only experiencing the issue with the TCL Roku TVs and only when using the beta app.  This also occurred in the previous beta as well.  The previous beta was the first beta used on these TVs (they're all new TVs as of a couple weeks ago) so I don't have a reference of which beta potentially introduced the problem.

Lastly, I know you mentioned Direct Play, but I am not able to get ANY of my Rokus to Direct Play Live TV from my HD Homerun Prime.  It always transcodes due to unsupported container (MPEGTS).  However, on my Nvidia Shield and FireSticks, Live TV always Direct Plays.

Let me know what else you need from me to help pinpoint the issue.  I'll keep hunting for any other clues.

Edited by datanet, 12 March 2019 - 12:57 AM.

#10 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

Can you please provide an ffmpeg log from each instance?  (one that shows the noise and one that doesn't)

Thanks.

#11 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4467 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

Can you also post a picture of the screen showing this video line noise?

It would appear the item is using the playmethod directstream. This will change the format with HLS but still should directly copy the video if this is MPEG2. The audio codec if this is AC3 might get transcoded if the app detects your setup doesn't support surround. Are you using the stats-for-nerds in the Roku app to see what is happening? Can you enable stats-for-nerds when you take the picture of the video line noise so this is in the picture too? Thanks.

Edited by speechles, 12 March 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#12 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

My guess is we're going to find that the beta is stream copying while the release is transcoding.  And the transcode is removing the noise.

#13 rouq OFFLINE  

rouq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

On Ruku Ultra, I get a a message in red "Video error!" and the playback doesn't start when doing this steps:

Using a recording from a Hdhomerun tuner (1080i mpeg2 with ac3 audio)

1. start the playback (directream because my TV doesn't support AC3).  The playback starts but with a lot of pixalisation (known issue since Roku introduce mpeg2 decoding)

2. When I click on "playback correction" to force transcoding, I get the message in red "video error!"  and I'm back to the emby app main panel.

I tried with the officiel release and is working properly.  So this started with .148.

In the logs, I only see 1 ffmpeg log file.  I don't see a ffmpeg log file for the playback correction.  I can provide emby server logs if needed.

thank you

#14 datanet OFFLINE  

datanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:14 PM

@ebr if I'm understanding the logs correctly the exact opposite is occurring...the beta app is triggering a transcode and the release version is direct streaming.  Although, I'm trying to wrap my head around the difference since both are technically transcoding.

I have attached videos and logs.  Maybe you can also provide some insight to all the other errors showing up in the ffmpeg logs.  Perhaps the other errors are to be expected.

This probably should have been its own topic since it is not directly related to version 3.0.148 specifically.

It wont allow me to directly upload the video files so I uploaded to youtube.

Video using release version: https://youtu.be/VcZhdS6tjAI

Video using beta version: https://youtu.be/WsK5yuzdrP0

Attached Files

#15 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

On Ruku Ultra, I get a a message in red "Video error!" and the playback doesn't start when doing this steps:

Using a recording from a Hdhomerun tuner (1080i mpeg2 with ac3 audio)

1. start the playback (directream because my TV doesn't support AC3).  The playback starts but with a lot of pixalisation (known issue since Roku introduce mpeg2 decoding)

2. When I click on "playback correction" to force transcoding, I get the message in red "video error!"  and I'm back to the emby app main panel.

I tried with the officiel release and is working properly.  So this started with .148.

In the logs, I only see 1 ffmpeg log file.  I don't see a ffmpeg log file for the playback correction.  I can provide emby server logs if needed.

thank you

@speechles sounds like maybe some of those error handling changes need to be looked at again...

#16 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

@ebr if I'm understanding the logs correctly the exact opposite is occurring...the beta app is triggering a transcode and the release version is direct streaming.  Although, I'm trying to wrap my head around the difference since both are technically transcoding.

I have attached videos and logs.  Maybe you can also provide some insight to all the other errors showing up in the ffmpeg logs.  Perhaps the other errors are to be expected.

This probably should have been its own topic since it is not directly related to version 3.0.148 specifically.

It wont allow me to directly upload the video files so I uploaded to youtube.

Video using release version: https://youtu.be/VcZhdS6tjAI

Video using beta version: https://youtu.be/WsK5yuzdrP0

So it is probably the HWA that is introducing the noise.  Can you test with turning that off on the server?

#17 datanet OFFLINE  

datanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

Just for the heck of it, so we're comparing apples to apples...i forced the release version to transcode and i have attached the log files.  Even when transcoding on the release Roku version 3.0.134 there was no video noise line across the top.  So again, the line is only occurring when using the beta Roku version.  Just as a reminder, I am only seeing the line behavior when using the TCL Roku TV...it does not occur when using the standalone Roku Ultra with the beta app.

Attached Files

#18 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:45 PM

Other than the way the item is being played, there is no way for there to be a difference in playback between beta and release.  The player is built into the Roku and the same in both instances.  So it has to be related to how it is being transcoded.

#19 datanet OFFLINE  

datanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

So it is probably the HWA that is introducing the noise.  Can you test with turning that off on the server?

Disabled HWA with the same results...line across the top in the beta version.  Log attached.

Attached Files

#20 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

@cayars - is this the old broadcast dataline showing up...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users