Remote Access issue

dchaosblade

dchaosblade

So, earlier this week I went through and set up my mediabrowser server to be accessible from outside of my LAN.  I opened up the appropriate port, registered a host name with www.noip.com, and everything seemed to work fine.  I was able to connect to my server remotely from my phone, and from my computer at work.  My brother was also able to connect without issue.

My parents however, are having a problem...

If in their web browser, they type in http://[ip]:8096/mediabrowser  then everything works fine.  Problem is that the IP I have is dynamic, thus the use of the noip hostname.  If they use the hostname provided via noip though they get connection error (website could not be found).  Attempting to ping the server ended in failure as well (unable to resolve host name).  The issue occurs in both Safari and Chrome, on two different macs (running OSX) and an Android phone.  It appears to me that the issue has something to do not with their computer or my server, but rather their router or something (it's blocking the connection due to noip's ddns redirect).  

Has anyone had this issue before and/or know how to solve it?  I looked into their router configuration and didn't see any settings that looked like they might prevent the connection but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.  If necessary, they can connect using the IP Address, but it's likely to cause issues eventually when the IP gets renewed (I'm not sure how long the lease time is for an IP from Comcast, which is the ISP for both me and my parents).

Edited by dchaosblade

Redshirt

If your router isn't a modem/router combo, you could always try plugging a PC directly into that internet connection. Then see if you can reach your server. If it works you know it's most likely the router. If it doesn't work then more likely the ISP.