Error resolving shortcut

paul1965

paul1965

I've got Emby server running on my PR4100. Most libraries are mounted on that NAS, but I've also got several on an EX4100. Emby seems to have issues reconnecting to those libraries, seemingly after I've made some network changes or Emby is restarted. I had this happen Monday night after I installed the new router and left Emby running while changing things around. Once I was done, all the libraries on the EX were blank (but Emby still showed the correct path). Tonight I did a firmware upgrade on the router, so before that I shut Emby down to see what would happen. After it was done and Emby restarted, sure enough those same libraries are blank again.

According to the logs, there's an error resolving the shortcut for each library on the EX. Any suggestions on keeping this from happening in the future?

The library path is smb://nas-2/Media/Video/Other

2019-03-06 17:23:14.257 Error BaseItem: Error resolving shortcut from /mnt/HD/HD_a2/emby/root/default/Vids/Other.mblink	*** Error Report ***	Version: 4.0.2.0	Command line: /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /mnt/HD/HD_a2/emby -ffdetect /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -updatepackage emby-server-emby-server-western_digital_pr4100_{version}_x86_64.bin -nolocalportconfig	Operating system: Unix 4.1.13.0	64-Bit OS: True	64-Bit Process: True	User Interactive: True	Processor count: 4	Program data path: /mnt/HD/HD_a2/emby	Application directory: /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/emby-server/system	SharpCifs.Smb.SmbException: SharpCifs.Smb.SmbException: Failed to connect to server	   at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbFile.Connect0()	   at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbFile.QueryPath(String path, Int32 infoLevel)	   at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbFile.Exists()	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.SharpCifsFileSystem.ToMetadata(SmbFile info, Nullable`1 isDirectory)	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.IO.FileData.GetFilteredFileSystemEntries(IDirectoryService directoryService, String path, IFileSystem fileSystem, IServerApplicationHost appHost, ILogger logger, ItemResolveArgs args, Int32 flattenFolderDepth, Boolean resolveShortcuts)	SharpCifs.Util.Sharpen.UnknownHostException: NAS-2<20>	   at SharpCifs.UniAddress.GetAllByName(String hostname, Boolean possibleNtDomainOrWorkgroup)	   at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbFile.GetFirstAddress()	   at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbFile.Connect()	   at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbFile.Connect0()		Source: Emby.Server.Implementations	TargetSite: Void Connect0()	   at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbFile.Connect0()	   at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbFile.QueryPath(String path, Int32 infoLevel)	   at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbFile.Exists()	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.SharpCifsFileSystem.ToMetadata(SmbFile info, Nullable`1 isDirectory)	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.IO.FileData.GetFilteredFileSystemEntries(IDirectoryService directoryService, String path, IFileSystem fileSystem, IServerApplicationHost appHost, ILogger logger, ItemResolveArgs args, Int32

paul1965

To add a little more info, the first time I ran into this I was able to force Emby to rescan the missing libraries, update all metadata and replace existing images and every missing library returned. However today that didn't work, and Emby reported that it couldn't find the network paths when I tried to validate that it had the correct info. I rebooted the EX4100 and tried again. On the first library it was able to find the path, but on the 2nd one it reported that it couldn't be found. I backed out to the home page and tried again, and was successful.

Recent changes to my network include upgrading to a Nighthawk X10 AD7200 R9000 router, and connecting the PR4100 to it's dedicated link aggregation ports. The X10 is connected to the same 16 port switch as the EX4100, but I don't think that has anything to do with Emby not being able to find the missing paths.

Edited by paul1965

So this means whatever path you setup the library with can not be reached at the time this occurred.

paul1965

It appears that after some time (an hour or so), things are back to normal. Though I did force a refresh again, I didn't get to all the libraries, yet they display all the content I expect to see. I'll give it more time next time and see what happens. In the mean time, I wonder if maybe a Twonky plugin in wouldn't be a better way of handling network shares?

paul1965

Twonky?

Sorry, I assumed you'd be familiar with Twonky. I don't know a ton about it, but I run in on my EX4100 and point my Roku's to it. It acts as a DLNA media server that can allow access to specific content and/or folders, to specific devices on the network. In addition to allowing a user to specify the content on the NAS to share, it also displays a list of devices capable of receiving media, their IP and MAC address, and a check box to allow/disable access. 

I don't have a clue about writing plugins, but I thought maybe something could be made to make Emby look like it's a media receiver, then see if Twonky could share the NAS folders with it. 

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=18588&lang=en

https://twonky.com/

• 2 weeks later...
paul1965

Okay, this is starting to get annoying. Yesterday I made some network changes (subnet mask). Today I found the libraries on the external NAS had again disappeared from Emby, so I rescanned all of them and thought all was good. Now just 2 hours later, they've all disappeared again. I have no problems accessing these libraries from anywhere else on my network, why can't Emby handle it?

paul1965

Thanks. I'm guessing this issue isn't really related to my network changes, it's a problem with Emby itself correct? When is the next release scheduled for?

• 1 month later...
paul1965

Hopefully soon.

Hi, just checking to see if you're getting close to releasing this fix. I'm losing my external libraries quite frequently.

paul1965

Ok, I would suggest installing 4.1.1.

Thanks, I'll try it now. Am I missing a plugin or something that should have either found the update, or displayed a message one was available? Or is that for Windows versions only?

Edited by paul1965

Not sure. Either it's failing to connect to check for updates, or at some point you deleted all of the scheduled task triggers for it. If it is the latter, you won't be able to do that anymore with 4.1.

paul1965

Not sure. Either it's failing to connect to check for updates, or at some point you deleted all of the scheduled task triggers for it. If it is the latter, you won't be able to do that anymore with 4.1.

Come to think of it, I believe I did delete the task as I initially wanted to keep the landscaped images on the Home screen.

Edited by paul1965

• 4 weeks later...