MPEG-DASH for adaptive streaming

joshua4

joshua4

Given the discussion for setting quality to AUTO and enjoying a consistent streaming experience. 

Has anyone looked into implementing MPEG-DASH? Easy set up and does not require server modification. Works over HTTP.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/Audio_and_video_delivery/Setting_up_adaptive_streaming_media_sources

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Adaptive_Streaming_over_HTTP

neik

Especially in case where the available bandwith variates (e.g. mobile) this would be a bless.

Afaik this hasn't been implemented yet, are there plans to implement this?

Especially in case where the available bandwith variates (e.g. mobile) this would be a bless.

Afaik this hasn't been implemented yet, are there plans to implement this?

As Luke mentioned above, we already use HLS which is a very similar protocol that also allows for adaptive streaming.

However, that requires the actual existence of different bitrates of the content (or creation of those "on the fly").

See other discussions on this topic to understand more details of what would be involved here.

Thanks.

neik

However, that requires the actual existence of different bitrates of the content (or creation of those "on the fly").

That "on the fly" is what I meant.

Let's assume I start with an available bandwith of 6mbit and the file has let's say 4mbit.

During the playback my available bandwith drops to constant 2mbit, with no adaption it will end up buffering.

Does Emby recognize this and adapt/transcode the bitrate of the file to let's say 1,5mbit so it's still playable?

On of my clients has exactly this problem, it is quite far away from the Wi-Fi and the available bandwith varies a bit to a lot and sometimes it ends up buffering and Emby does not adapt to bandwith of the file to the actual available one.

Hope it is a bit clearer now what I meant. :-)