NFO Files

Strubdog

Strubdog

Is there a wiki or a thread which explains the format of the NFO files need to be? I"m trying to edit some videos I have that don't scrape from the provided metadata plugins.

Thanks

laie_techie

When I searched for info on the NFO format, I found something on the Kodi Wiki, but I don't know how different NFO files are in Emby.

I've started by creating a stub file then using the metadata editor from within Emby's web client to fully populate the XML.

Correct we actually follow Kodi conventions on nfo file. Another great way to see examples of nfo is to use the metadata editor on a video and just click save. This is assuming you've enabled nfo saving for that library.

Strubdog

Where are nfo files (movie and cast nfo files) saved by emby (assuming I'm using t he default settings)?

Happy2Play

Where are nfo files (movie and cast nfo files) saved by emby (assuming I'm using t he default settings)?

Only in the database if you are using default settings as the nfo saver is disabled by default.

Happy2Play

I went and updated that feature. So nfo saver is enabled now. Where would these files save now?

With the Media.  The setting only saves nfo files for new media.  You will have to Refresh All to get Emby to save nfo files for already imported items.

• 1 year later...
tomlepk@gmail.com

Please delete added to wrong thread.

Okay I checked everything.  Whenever I identify a movie, as soon as I refresh metadata or scan library it reverts back to the unknown movie.  I tried renaming the folder and file and still never saves.  Can you assist?
In particular, Boondock Saints II and Automata.  I started in the A's but there are more. the first Boondock Saints was fine, I tried 2 and II added year, still no luck.

--Thomas

Edited by tomlepk@gmail.com

Please delete added to wrong thread.

Okay I checked everything.  Whenever I identify a movie, as soon as I refresh metadata or scan library it reverts back to the unknown movie.  I tried renaming the folder and file and still never saves.  Can you assist?

In particular, Boondock Saints II and Automata.  I started in the A's but there are more. the first Boondock Saints was fine, I tried 2 and II added year, still no luck.

--Thomas

Re: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/86867-refresh-metadata-or-scan-library/?view=findpost&p=889056

• 3 years later...
petter_tv12

For some reason, saving .nfo files doesn't work for us, but we got our own system to deal with generating those. I just need to know what the tags I need to add to the file to add the "Person" tags (we use this for Composer, and would be great if it was able to do Lyricist and Translator as well for music videos). Can someone post a screenshot of a .nfo file that contains these tags? (I don't need help trying to get the saving of .nfo files to work, I just need to know what Emby needs to read)

10 hours ago, petter_tv12 said:

For some reason, saving .nfo files doesn't work for us, but we got our own system to deal with generating those. I just need to know what the tags I need to add to the file to add the "Person" tags (we use this for Composer, and would be great if it was able to do Lyricist and Translator as well for music videos). Can someone post a screenshot of a .nfo file that contains these tags? (I don't need help trying to get the saving of .nfo files to work, I just need to know what Emby needs to read)

HI, best thing to do is get it to work in Emby Server and then you'll be able to see your nfo files as examples.

For one, make sure the server has write access to your media directories. That could be why you didn't get them generated before.

petter_tv12

I'm asking for someone to just post the .nfo contents. I don't have the time to figure out the export part and I don't benefit from it other than the info, that should be easily obtainable from the admins that have made this system. Nor am I the system adminstrator that can in depth find out why this isn't working. I'm in charge of figuring out how the .nfo is formatted for our .nfo generator. Why isn't the info available in a manual/documentation already?

10 hours ago, petter_tv12 said:

I'm asking for someone to just post the .nfo contents. I don't have the time to figure out the export part and I don't benefit from it other than the info, that should be easily obtainable from the admins that have made this system. Nor am I the system adminstrator that can in depth find out why this isn't working. I'm in charge of figuring out how the .nfo is formatted for our .nfo generator. Why isn't the info available in a manual/documentation already?

It is actually, just not our documentation. We use the kodi nfo format: https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies

petter_tv12
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It is actually, just not our documentation. We use the kodi nfo format: https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies

As you've mentioned in other posts, Emby has some tags that stray from this list, and since I can't find anything relating to "Person" or "Composer" or similar, I suspect this falls under the non-standard-Kodi tag category. I would just like to know how to implement this. That's all I'm asking for, and I can't find that in the list you linked. Do you have other resources or clarification for something in that list that could help me achieve this? Judging by other posts, I'm not alone in missing the documentation for these extra tags that are not in the Kodi overview.

Edited by petter_tv12

2 minutes ago, petter_tv12 said:

As you've mentioned in other posts, Emby has some tags that stray from this list, and since I can't find anything relating to "Person" or "Composer" or similar, I suspect this falls under the non-standard-Kodi tag category. I would just like to know how to implement this. That's all I'm asking for, and I can't find that in the list you linked. Do you have other resources or clarification for something in that list that could help me achieve this? 

No, we're not straying. They may just not have it documented. Here is an example nfo, but I would not consider this complete. Each nfo is based on the data coming from the emby server database, which means some tags will be missing when there's no data.

127 Hours (2010).zip

It sounds to me like you're just going to be making more work for yourself by not having Emby Server handle the nfo creation.

petter_tv12
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

No, we're not straying. They may just not have it documented. Here is an example nfo, but I would not consider this complete. Each nfo is based on the data coming from the emby server database, which means some tags will be missing when there's no data.

127 Hours (2010).zip 2.78 kB · 0 downloads

It sounds to me like you're just going to be making more work for yourself by not having Emby Server handle the nfo creation.

Thanks for the example! I might have been unclear on the type of movie, as we're are using music videos. Specifically I'm looking for the tag pictured below, called "Personer" in Norwegian, which I guess is "Persons" in English. We only use the tags for title, sort-title, artist, year of production and studio tag, and now want to add Composer, Lyricist and Translator so this information is easily available in Emby. We use Google Sheets for an initial record of all songs in our database where all info is plotted in. We've found this to be the easiest way to make the plain text info more readily available. We then use scripting to automatically generate and auto-update all the .nfo files based on the info from Sheets. All we need now is to update the scripting to include the info we already have from Sheets and put it into .nfo tags.

Where in your example would Composer and Lyricist be found?

There's no Personer tag. The tag names are not translated. There is no composer or lyricist tags. If you're talking about a music library, that all comes from the embedded information in your audio files.

Right so the user interface for editing is translated, but not the tags in the nfo. Those are the actor, writer and director tags.

petter_tv12
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Right so the user interface for editing is translated, but not the tags in the nfo. Those are the actor, writer and director tags.

Thanks, so in my instance would it be:

<actor>
    <name>Someone 1</name>
    <role>Composer</role>
  </actor>

or

<actor>
    <name>Someone 1</name>
    <type>Composer</type>
  </actor>

?

Edited by petter_tv12