Roku TV reboots with invalid stream

pcm2a

I am connecting to a remote emby server and trying to play a show. The stream does not play on the roku or emby web app, getting the stream to play is not the issue. The concern is on two TCL Roku TVs the whole tv reboots when trying to play the stream.

1. 49" TCL Roku TV 4k -> stream tries to load then tv reboots

2. 49" TCL Roku TV 1080p -> stream tries to load then tv reboots

3. Roku 4 -> stream hangs at loading but can press back to go back

4. Emby web app -> stream tries to load then says cannot load

What extra details can I provide or is there some logs from the tv that could help determine why the whole tv reboots?

5c7f3418d8992_ScreenShot20190305at84424P

Edited by pcm2a

That's an indication of a crash in the Roku firmware.  Not sure there is much that can be done about it.

Does this crash happen right when you go to play the item? Is this by chance a TV episode? If so I think I have a handle on what is happening and we are already tracking this. There is an issue related to newly added episodes when you have missing/upcoming episode enabled.

Now I notice you say it doesn't crash. Okay so maybe this isn't the same, but...

Is there an ffmpeg log created for these? I would love to see it/them. Thanks. ;)

The stream hang on loading might be our aggressive video playback recovery. It might need to be better trained on what errors it can and cannot recover from. There may be a few errors it keeps trying to recover playback that it should not be. This might be the reason the RokuTV reboots. The firmware differs on Roku TV from normal Roku STB and their circuitry sees video failure differently. I can take a look at the video fallback later and compare it to the errors Roku throws and make sure we aren't trying to recover from the unrecoverable.

Edited by speechles

Does this crash happen right when you go to play the item? Is this by chance a TV episode?

On the two Roku TVs the blue bar goes part way across, hangs for 15-30 seconds then reboots.

This is for a newly added tv show.

Now I notice you say it doesn't crash. Okay so maybe this isn't the same, but...

It crashes on both Roku TVs. It does not crash on the Roku 4. On the Roku 4 the blue bar goes part way across and then there is an empty bar forever, until I press back to leave the show.

Is there an ffmpeg log created for these?

This is a remote Emby server and I don't have access to the server's admin or logs. Bummer I know. While I expect shows to sometimes not play you usually don't expect a reboot :-)

On the two Roku TVs the blue bar goes part way across, hangs for 15-30 seconds then reboots.

This is for a newly added tv show.

It crashes on both Roku TVs. It does not crash on the Roku 4. On the Roku 4 the blue bar goes part way across and then there is an empty bar forever, until I press back to leave the show.

This is a remote Emby server and I don't have access to the server's admin or logs. Bummer I know. While I expect shows to sometimes not play you usually don't expect a reboot :-)

There it is. The blue bar goes part way across and then there is an empty bar forever. That is the fallback occuring. You confimed my thoughts. If this occurs with certain errors it is hard to tell between ability to recover and not able to.

Roku has 7 error types.

-6 DRM error

-5 Media error; the media format is unknown or unsupported

-4 Empty list; no streams were specified to play

-3 Unknown error

-2 Connection timed out

-1 HTTP error: malformed headers or HTTP error result.

0 Network error : server down or unresponsive, server is unreachable, network setup problem on the client.

Now on 0 we know don't recover. On -4 and -6 we also bail. the -3 is hard to tell we might be able to recover. For -2 certainly we should try again. With -1 we definitely should fallback. Fallback changes the play method. Something about the stream the Roku didn't like and closed the video player. We respawn it and change play method. On your RokuTV this might be directplay to directstream/remux and this is akin to the same thing. The Roku might hang or act unpredictable when that happens. You being able to press back and recover means on some firmware our code works as it should. It just hangs. But on other firmware our fallback code can introduce these issues. I am going overboard explain this but I seriously want to resolve this but the tools Roku gives us when to fallback and when not are not sufficient. We need to error on the side of trying to recover rather than just tell you sorry can't play this.

Hopefully you understand. We are doing everything we can to provide a seamless experience where we do all the magic and the user just presses play. Roku firmware should eventually work out these issues. I apologize. 

Edited by speechles

James Roberts

I have had similar experiences with the Roku IOS breaking, or the Emby App crashing out to the ROKU home screen.  What I can add is that the video stream will almost consistently hand if if there is a short spot from the local station followed by a switch over to a nationally broadcast show out of New York.  Would love to give what evers logs may be developed by this.