Humax unable to access media via DLNA Server

Guest CaptainNick

Guest CaptainNick

Hi All,

I'm new to Emby Server and am running a test/evaluation before migrating all my server media over to a new platform. The crux of the issue is I have Emby v4.0.2.0 installed and running fine and can access the media via DLNA from an oldish Sony TV across a cabled local network but am unable to access it from the Humax Device.

Background:

I have a Humax PVR-5000T (IP: 10.10.10.103) which can access a copy of my test media on a Server (Win 7 x64, IP: 10.10.10.10) via DLNA through WMP12 Windows Media Player Sharing Service and play an MP3 successfully. The Humax can detect the Emby Server via DLNA running on the same physical box as it appears in the list on the Humax above the WMP Server but when accessed, the Humax does not find any media or see any folders. At the same time, I can see both DLNA servers present and correctly functioning when browsed from the Sony TV (10.10.10.102). My test files are MP3's to eliminate format/container issues as WMP12, Sony TV & Humax can all normally see and play MP3's. I intend to play all files in their native format with no Transcoding or Direct Play needed.

Testing:

I have researched a bit and implemented DLNA Profiles as the default profile does not work for the Humax and enabled Debug Logging. From the logs I can see that I have successfully been able to differentiate the 3 devices that may access Emby via DLNA using the "FriendlyName" & "HttpHeaderInfo" strings in individual DLNA User Profiles.

For the Sony TV I simply copied one of the Sony Bravia System Profiles and it basically works with the only issue being that not all the MP3's album art is showing despite it being present inside the MP3's and a folder.jpg present in the same windows folder. However, the Sony TV can see all the test media, browse it and play it.

For the Humax, I have tried copying every single one of the System Profiles in case one would work as it is obviously ok with WMP12 as a DLNA server and many of the System Profiles appear to emulate that in some way. None of them worked. The error message on the Humax doesn't change but it is a quite generic "No media found". Each time the logs show it was identified correctly via the HTTP Header User-Agent value of "Posix" and the logs show the response as "200" but nothing is displayed. Each time I change a DLNA Profile, I have restarted the Emby Server Application as it isn't picked up until then. I have uploaded the bit of the log where the Humax interacts with Emby and that's all there is each time (Emby Log.txt).

For the WMP12 Client accessing via DLNA, it again has its own User Profile and is picked up correctly in the logs. It can see and browse all the media and folders ok but interestingly all the MP3's have a small blue "i" icon stating that they are an unrecognised file type and won't play them. An example of the "File Location" of an MP3 viewed from WMP is:

http://10.10.10.10:8096/audio/201/stream?DeviceProfileId=9c183db3e31f2f6e2be46c6b25825a8a&DeviceId=743b37ee3c0b67f258d356b6974a9dba&MediaSourceId=5d3a856ecb1fe6089beb85595d428999&WMContentFeatures=DLNA.ORG_OP=10;DLNA.ORG_CI=1;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01D00000000000000000000000000000&WMHME=1&WMQ=1&WMHMETitle=TgBvAHQAIABXAGgAZQByAGUAIABJAHQAJwBzACAAQQB0AA==

I guess this is why it doesn't recognise the MP3's in WMP so I wonder if this is also occurring with the Humax and maybe why it doesn't find any media? I am stuck as to how to investigate further so am hoping one of you will be able to assist me?

I have also attached the 3 User Profiles xml files in case they are of use.

Many thanks,

Nick

Emby Log.txt

Bravia KDL-46X4500.xml

Humax FVP-5000T.xml

WMP 12.0.xml

Guest CaptainNick

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your quick response. :)

I don't need the WMP profile, it was just implemented for testing. I won't be accessing the Server via DLNA from WMP I think. However, I used it to ascertain how well the Emby server could emulate WMP in the Profiles. We know the Humax is happy with WMP12 as a DLNA server so I'd used the WMP12 Profile before with the Humax and it still didn't work. Thus I thought I would try accessing it from a WMP12 Client to see if it appears and functions as WMP. It doesn't as I said before, the media does not appear correctly with that profile so is that what the Humax is seeing when we try to emulate a WMP DLNA server?

I don't know how to debug the connections between the Emby DLNA server and a DLNA client as there was not a whole lot in the logs and there appeared to be no errors, is there maybe something missing from the Emby logs... should there be more?

These sections are empty, which is a problem:

<DirectPlayProfiles />
  <TranscodingProfiles />

So i would start by grabbing the ones from the default profile.

Guest CaptainNick

I have done as asked and copied those two sections from the default to the Humax Profile along with removing the WMP12 User Profile for completeness. I do not intend to transcode anything or use Direct Play which is why I figured these sections were of little use. However, as I stated earlier I had tested the contents of every System Profile as the Humax User Profile in case I got an improvement. They contained these two sections yet had no impact on the issue.

After reboot, the Humax is the same but the WMP Client can now play the MP3's and the blue error icons have gone now it is using the default profile. It does display the blue icons for the video files but despite saying they are an unknown format, it also plays them in this configuration.

I just mean to resolve issues when testing from WMP. As far as the Humax goes, unfortunately the nature of Dlna is such that every device has to be tested on it's own, and I do not have one of these for testing. So I don't have answers at the moment, although with enough trial and error, they can typically be figured out.

Guest CaptainNick

I am happy to figure it out but where I am stuck is how to go about this. I have tried to be methodical and look for changes in behaviour with all the example System Profiles tested against the Humax but there is not a hint of anything changing between profiles, both in the Emby Log and in the Humax responses so I have nothing to go on.

What I am hoping you will be able to provide is some method of debugging the connection or increasing the information in the logs to show where the differences arise between a working connection and a faulty one? Also, this is my first time with digging into DLNA as previously it has just worked, so I don't know quite what all the sections within the profiles mean and what values are available, do you have a guide anywhere please?

It seems logical as a first place to start, to have Emby emulate Windows Media Sharing with WMP12 completely as this setup works already but I cannot even figure out how to do that as the WMP12 Client did not like the User Profile I created for it and it should be perfect! Does anyone know how to get Emby to appear and act in the same way as WMP?

Edited by CaptainNick

My suggest would be to clone the default profile and then change only the identification criteria, and then the model and manufacturer information. 

You can change the identification criteria to detect humax, and then you can change the model and manufacturer info to make the server present itself like WMP.

Guest CaptainNick

Thanks Luke, I have done as suggested and just altered the suggested fields. There is no change from the Humax. I have uploaded the latest Embyserver.txt log file. All I did was load the server, wait a bit, tried to contact from the Humax twice with no success and then contacted Emby from WMP on the "server" via DLNA and played an MP3 & test video file. Whilst not perfect, it worked from WMP and I thought it would be useful to contrast the WMP log entries from the Humax ones.

embyserver.txt

Ok, unfortunately without a Humax for testing I just don't have an answer right now.

Guest CaptainNick

No worries. I appreciate it is tricky with this kind of thing. :)

As I wasn't getting anywhere I uninstalled Emby and tried Kodi and it worked first time. I eventually settled on Universal Media Server as it just does the DLNA with no faff, runs in the background on the Server and to supply my hardware devices is all I need right now. FYI, the UMS detects the Humax as a "Popcorn Hour" which I've never heard of but in the profile conf file for the Popcorn Hour it has the user-agent of "POSIX" set.

Many thanks for your assistance on this and I hope it helps you to support these devices in the future.