Best Router?

Sammy

Sammy

.. if your modem cannot renew because it cannot contact the ISP DHCP server, then the IP will simply lapse on the ISP server and somebody else may then get allocated that IP as it becomes 'available'. Lets see the logs (delete the WAN IP details etc) - I'd just like to see the DHCP message trail to see what it's doing ..

The log in the Router GUI only shows lease times for the local LAN IP's.

Charter has the GUI for the modem on lockdown so it is not accessible. I suppose I could try to wrangle the credentials out of them but I don't think they want anyone accessing it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

metsuke

For those running pfsense as your main router.

What do you recommend for hardware that is lower power and rackmount.

I put together my router in 2014 from parts ordered at Newegg.  It is still working just fine:

Intel G3220

SODIMM 8GB Memory (twice as much as needed, it turns out)

Jetway motherboard

Sammy

.. if your modem cannot renew because it cannot contact the ISP DHCP server, then the IP will simply lapse on the ISP server and somebody else may then get allocated that IP as it becomes 'available'.      Lets see the logs (delete the WAN IP details etc) - I'd just like to see the DHCP message trail to see what it's doing ..

I do see a line such as this in the general logs:

Mar 14 03:37:33 dhcp client: bound xxx.xx.abc.def via xxx.xx.ghi.1 during 3600 seconds.

Where xxx and xx are identical and the remainder are other digits. I believe the second one is Charter's subnet and the first one is the same as what shows as my connection IP on the main page of the Asus Router's GUI.

rbjtech

ok - so it's only a 1 hour lease, which is perfectly normal for an ISP - so you should see this repeated every hour.  If yes, then the DHCP renewals are working fine.  If the connection breaks and you have not had a renewal for over 60 mins, then at least you can say definitively that this is the problem to your ISP.

and yes, the ISP will have a range and you'll probably seeing the gateway address, with your IP being part of that subnet.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Sammy

ok - so it's only a 1 hour lease, which is perfectly normal for an ISP - so you should see this repeated every hour. If yes, then the DHCP renewals are working fine. If the connection breaks and you have not had a renewal for over 60 mins, then at least you can say definitively that this is the problem to your ISP.

and yes, the ISP will have a range and you'll probably seeing the gateway address, with your IP being part of that subnet.

I'll look again and report back my findings.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Sammy

@@rbjtech

I did a quick parsing of that log for "dhcp client" and found this happened several times between 16:50 and 17:00 on March 10, once about 19:00 on March 11 and then not again until the one I reported above on March 14. Are you saying this is coming from upstream, from my ISP, and should appear in my General Router Log every 3600 seconds (every hour)?

If this is an issue with Spectrum getting someone on the line that knows what I'm talking about and will take responsibility for and ownership of it is going to be indeed fun.

Thanks.

Edited by Sammy

Merlin firmware's are basically the same as asus with some extra features and in general you have more control over your network. Aimesh is supported as long as your devices supports it.

Spectrum is a nightmare i had nothing but problem with them. at my Business location we had this issue where we lost connection constantly everyday mind you this was a Business account, it got so bad that the tech left me two modems and told me to switch over my network to the second modem whenever i can't connect!!! yeah that was their solution since they couldn't figure out what the problem was.

at another location my client was paying $400 a month (including tv) for a line that couldn't even go above 4Mb (400MB service) everything sucks about them. if spectrum is your only option get your own modem set it in bridge mode and that should help

what is your modem?

rbjtech

@@rbjtech

I did a quick parsing of that log for "dhcp client" and found this happened several times between 16:50 and 17:00 on March 10, once about 19:00 on March 11 and then not again until the one I reported above on March 14. Are you saying this is coming from upstream, from my ISP, and should appear in my General Router Log every 3600 seconds (every hour)?

If this is an issue with Spectrum getting someone on the line that knows what I'm talking about and will take responsibility for and ownership of it is going to be indeed fun.

Thanks.

yes - DHCP is a client protocol - so your router is requesting a WAN address from your ISP but to do so correctly, it needs to actually have a connection to your ISP's DHCP server to either re-new it's current lease (ie you keep your WAN IP) - or it gives you an alternate IP once the lease has fully expired.  If it can't contact the DHCP server for whatever reason - then your router will keep it's current IP address BUT the ISP's DHCP server will assume (wrongly) that you no longer want to keep that address (as it's can't contact you to confirm) and will give it to somebody else.  Now, both of you will be trying to use the same WAN IP = neither will work properly if at all.

So from your reply - it does look very inconsistent and should be logged on the hour, every hour without fail.

Prooving things are not working with ISP's is difficult because the logging is generally insufficient  - you need hard evidence - so maybe worth running a quality monitor on your connection over a period of time to show when the issues occur ?

I've used this before - it effectively sets up a continuous ping from your connection to a set location and graphs the result over time :-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Edited by rbjtech