Issue with subtitles in anime in certain conditions.

calmcacil

calmcacil

I'm experiencing a level of issues with subtitles, mainly subtitles that use positional subtitles. It seems a workaround is to force burn-in subtitles for all complex formats, as auto experience issues with this, namely subtitles that have positional data seem to not show up and then subtitles show back up again when they return to their "default" position. Been having this issue for a while, and while forcing burn-in solves it to an extent, I still feel as if its unintended behaviour.

calmcacil

Well taking something like the latest episode of Black Clover, there is a portion where it has some japanese text on screen. During this time if one is not forcing burn subtitle  only the japense text is shown on screen. (See #1) While Burn is on all complex formats it shows as expected in #2

#1:

5c7eab13542c3_snip1.jpg

#2:

5c7eab1d9bd19_snip2.jpg

Guest asrequested

Try the desktop app. You won't need to burn in subs. If you get issues with that, I can probably find a solution for you.

calmcacil

Sure that's good and all but the new desktop app has its own issues, such as not being possible to maximize to fill the screen, but still show the taskbar. Or if you're unlucky enough that you accidentally resize the window so its bigger than the height of your monitor you can't make it smaller because the top part of the window does not allow for resizing.

Edited by calmcacil

Guest asrequested

Oh, yeah if you want to resize while playing, you can't. So you'll probably need to share a sample so they can test.

Edited by Doofus

calmcacil

I honestly don't get why someone would remove the maximise button and replace it with a fullscreen button after all these years of it having a specific function in the OS, That and not being able to maximise by dragging it up to the top of the screen is a big part to why I've been relying on the UWP app. One function I really wish they'd implement is setting your own timeout for the hud or shortening it down so that it doesn't stay on screen for so long if you mouse over it.

This is the specific file I'm having an issue with, but if I wanted to I could probably find quite a lot of them in my anime folder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fEJKM2oGMXk3XdnnzIExAd3_IUMk6NdL/view?usp=sharing

• 4 years later...

Hey I have the same issue here in March Of 2023.

Turning off allow subtitle extraction on the fly didn’t even fix it.

Any anime scene where the subtitles would be positioned (I.e if there is a Japanese sign on screen that would be translated while the characters are also speaking) results in no subtitles during that dialogue. 

Any updates to this since this 2019 thread?

Edit: I should point out that I’m using the LG WebOS app but as far as I can tell this issue will happen everywhere (testing on mobile web browser now)

Edited by jelly

KMBanana

Positional subtitles work are working for me, tested on Web Client (Chrome) and on an LG TV with the Emby app, both when direct playing and when forcing a transcode.  

I have "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" enabled, which on my system means no subtitles show up for a few seconds (positional or otherwise) but only for the first few seconds. 

EmbySubTest.png

Ok so turns out it works on web for me too, but definitely not on the LG TV App. Any ideas what I could try?

I'm comparing the very same file/scene on both apps 

KMBanana

What LG TV do you have?  They changed the OS so there are technically two different Emby apps I think.  Mine is the newer OS on an LG G1.  

Just now, KMBanana said:

What LG TV do you have?  They changed the OS so there are technically two different Emby apps I think.  Mine is the newer OS on an LG G1.  

I have a LG CX, so 1 generation prior to yours I believe. I'm unsure if I'd be on the older app in that case.

KMBanana
2 hours ago, jelly said:

I have a LG CX, so 1 generation prior to yours I believe. I'm unsure if I'd be on the older app in that case.

That is older and not on the same version of WebOS, but I believe it's still the same Emby application/version.  

Two potential causes for the difference, 1 WebOS 6.0 on my TV offers better subtitle support that Emby takes advantage of

Or we're looking at different types of subtitles and not actually comparing like for like. 

On 3/16/2023 at 8:59 AM, jelly said:

Ok so turns out it works on web for me too, but definitely not on the LG TV App. Any ideas what I could try?

I'm comparing the very same file/scene on both apps 

@jelly 

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Luke said:

@jelly 

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Ok so this was tough to get because it turns out it DOES work when "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" is OFF but it's "sticky" in a way when I turn it back ON. So I literally had to find another episode with another example each time until I figured this out to be able to record the issue.

So for example:

Scenario 1 - Allow subtitle extraction on the fly start out as OFF:

1. Allow subtitle extraction on the fly - OFF
  2. Play Scene where there should be an issue - it works
  3. Allow subtitle extraction on the fly - ON
  4. Play same scene - still works

Scenario 2 - Allow subtitle extraction on the fly start out as OFF:

1. Allow subtitle extraction on the fly - ON
  2. Play Scene where there should be an issue - it does not work - I can reproduce the issue
  3. Allow subtitle extraction on the fly - OFF
  4. Play same scene - still does NOT work

Note: Above cases are on LGTV app - PC web player always works! This is also why Allow subtitle extraction on the fly: OFF didn't work for me the other day, I was trying the same episode and scene

Anyway I recorded a video of the exact same scene on my TV and on my PC with  "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly: ON"

Here is the scene not working on LGTV App:

https://streamable.com/5bhon2

Here is the same scene working on PC (what it should look like when all subs are working):

https://streamable.com/9zrzij

Here are my server logs:

embyserver.txt

Typo - second example should be :  starts out as ON***:

Oh and here are the last few transcode logs - I think there are many cause I had to skip around to get the video:

ffmpeg-transcode-4a8b35d7-9dbf-41cc-a75e-f00b7c2471fe_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-2299012f-b711-4746-82e5-bc74ccc9fab8_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-35fbdb01-b902-46b5-b44c-3cad6134e170_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-b2ddf596-51c3-4b93-b90b-32bedf2704e3_1.txt

Edited by jelly

KMBanana

Pretty sure I have this exact same file and was able to reproduce it on my LG G1 Emby app.  

The lines not showing up use multiple styles in the same line of dialogue.  I extracted the subtitle file and edited 1 line that wasn't working to be consistent throughout and it showed up.  

Original line (Doesn't show up on LG Emby app)

Dialogue: 0,0:09:07.73,0:09:13.11,sign_13133_221_Fafnir__Actually,Screen,0,0,0,,{\fad(1068,1)}Fafnir {\fs14}(Actually a Dragon)

Edited line (Will show up on LG Emby app)

Dialogue: 0,0:09:07.73,0:09:13.11,sign_13133_221_Fafnir__Actually,Screen,0,0,0,,Fafnir(Actually a Dragon)

I have "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" enabled and did not test with it disabled.  I did test and had the same results when forcing a transcode though.  

• 1 month later...