Setting up secure port 443 using SSL

bretswinney

bretswinney

I am a new to Emby. I come from plex where you could use this feature without setting up a SSL Certificate. I am needing some help with this. I have a free domain name through no-ip. Anyone who can help I thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bretswinney

It might be simplest to use a reverse proxy like Caddy. https://caddyserver.com/

Not sure if you can get a free letsencrypt cert with no-ip.com, I know duckdns works though.

Would be willing to try using duckdns. Any documentation?

bretswinney

Work is using Exinda to limit traffic so I am trying to route my traffic to a port that will look like regular traffic. I had this setup in plex & it worked well.

CChris

As far as I know, Plex is working completely different in this part.
In Plex, you only have one central login - which is (as far as I understand) secured by the plex servers itself.

I really appreciate, that emby is going another way here.
Unfortunately, this requires some more setup work - and it requires a SSL Certificate (which is, in my opinion the correct way to secure your server).

But to provide you more information, we should learn a bit more about your setup...
Can you please provide some more details on your server setup?
Port forwarding rules, installed reverse proxy and things like that?

I can show you my setup, but it is done on a Synology NAS... which I think, is working a bit different than on your Windows Server...

notla49285

This is the best guide for getting SSL to work with Emby >> https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44757-setting-up-ssl-for-emby-wip/

You may need to pick and choose which sections to follow if you have already set up a domain. As @@CChris said, Plex works differently to Emby as it is their server which hosts the certificate, whereas with Emby it's yours, so you will need to set up the certificate yourself. I have used Let's Encrypt as per the guide in the link I gave above.

I have this running on Windows 7 64-bit Pro, just keep an eye on when your certificate expires as I've had problems with the changeover, you need to make sure the certificate has a different name. If I was you I'd include either the creation or expiry date in the file name. Certificate passwords work fine with Emby contrary to a couple of posts on here. I would like to run the nginx reverse proxy but I got completely thrown by the guide and haven't yet had a decent amount of time to sit down and figure it out.

• Like 1