Multiple metadata languages

neik

neik

Hi guys,

I am sharing my server with my parents and my sister.

My sister and I would like to have the metadata in English our parents on the other hand need to have a different language as they don't speak English.

Have been looking in the settings but couldn't find anything that would allow this.

So, is it even possible to set two languages for the metadata and then depending on the users language showing the one or the other language?

• Like 11

laie_techie

Unfortunately the NFO file format does not allow storing the same metadata for multiple languages.

neik

Luke, are you interested in this?

This would be a nice to have, nothing urgent, but nice to have.

• 3 months later...
neik

@@Luke, will you move this or should I open a new topic in the right spot?

Thanks!

Edited by neik

Wondertje

Even though I'd probably not use it myself, I can see how it would be a really convenient feature to have in a media library. I'm all for it, if they feel like it's worth developing!

• Like 2

You may add two librairies with localized content and english and allow your family to access only the one with correct metadata

neik

You may add two librairies with localized content and english and allow your family to access only the one with correct metadata

If I see this correctly then using that workaround would mean having thumbnails being extracted and stored twice as they would be two different libraries from Emby's point of view.

@@Luke, is my assumption correct?

• Like 1

We would have to rethink everything for this. That means the database structure, the way metadata is stored, etc.

laie_techie

That would mean storing duplicates for my collections, video files, and subtitles. Currently I rip with audio streams and subtitles for all the languages spoken in my household.

Dibbes

That would mean storing duplicates for my collections, video files, and subtitles. Currently I rip with audio streams and subtitles for all the languages spoken in my household.

I have Dutch, English, Spanish and German in my family... With a 80TB library that is really cost prohibitive...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
KoqueSilva

Hello, I'm from Brazil but I have a sister who lives in the United States, Emby he translates the display language and I can change the audio language, but I can't change the metadata like the covers, the name of the movies, it would be great if I could implement this Emby.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KoqueSilva said:

Hello, I'm from Brazil but I have a sister who lives in the United States, Emby he translates the display language and I can change the audio language, but I can't change the metadata like the covers, the name of the movies, it would be great if I could implement this Emby.

Hi there, why can't you? Have you checked out the metadata editor?

neik
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, why can't you? Have you checked out the metadata editor?

How is it possible to achieve what he is asking for?

For instance, having two covers - one Portuguese, one English - and show the correct one according to the user's settings.
This is afaik simply not possible and I do not see how the metadata editor can help but apparently you know the solution... 

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

Metadata/images currently are still limited to one language for all users.

You can not have a item in two different languages for metadata/images unless you are going to duplicate your media and assign languages to each library.

Edited by Happy2Play

neik
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

You can not have a item in two different languages for metadata/images unless you are going to duplicate your media and assign languages to each library.

Exactly this!
That's why I don't understands Luke's post, it just doesn't make sense in this context...

• Like 1

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, neik said:

Exactly this!
That's why I don't understands Luke's post, it just doesn't make sense in this context...

I think a mis-interpretation as sure they can change their server in Brazil to show English poster.  (But title says it all)

Edited by Happy2Play