Multiple metadata languages

neik

rbjtech

I don't believe you need to duplicate the video files at all - just use strm files to link to the original video file.   The alternate library can have it's own metadata in whatever language you like - but you will need to duplicate all the bif, jpg, srt's etc - but those are tiny in comparison to the video file.

I may have a play with this later to see what is achievable.

• Like 2

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I don't believe you need to duplicate the video files at all - just use strm files to link to the original video file.   The alternate library can have it's own metadata in whatever language you like - but you will need to duplicate all the bif, jpg, srt's etc - but those are tiny in comparison to the video file.

I may have a play with this later to see what is achievable.

Yes always for get about strm, so a duplicate strm library pointing to primary media so this library will be in a alternate display language.

rbjtech

Yep - just tested - it works great :)

I now have a French library, which grabbed all the French metadata - and the videos are from the English library via strm files.

I just need to check how strm permissions work across libraries - as I guess the idea is to permission the users to only show the French libraries (in my example) but this may block the strm - not sure at this point.

• Like 2

rbjtech

I've written a quick script - it automatically creates all the strm files for an entire library (if required) based on a simple input file specifying the original file locations and the new strm file locations.   Once run, create a new library using the newly created path, set the metadata language etc to whatever you wish and then  Emby does the hard work of populating the new library with the metadata in the library language and as a bonus also brings down the language specific artwork as well 👍

Permissions to the original files via the strm don't appear to be an issue - as I locked a test user to just use the new library, and it worked just fine.

I'll post it in the tools section once I've done a bit more testing but so far it works well.

Keeping the new library updated needs some thought but the simplest solution is to just re-run the script on a schedule - it won't re-create the strm file if it already exists.

• Like 1

KoqueSilva

So I saw metadata editing but I can only change to one language and not switch between two languages
such as Português and English.

So even if I duplicate that, I would have to duplicate my entire media and change the names of all the films to another language, that would be very tiring. That's because I have a lot of films.

I know that it is not easy but to implement some configuration that when changing the language of a user he automatically changes the names of the films along with the covers, this configuration could be implemented in the library.

Edited by KoqueSilva

• 2 years later...
Seraphys

This would be a really awesome request if possible. We are a multilingual family and I read in English and my family members Chinese with no way for them to understand without this