EPG seriously flawed - need to fix mappings

IkeTaylor11

That's awesome sub3!

Any links or news to availability or rough time frame on V5?

We're currently testing it. A public beta will be available in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

IkeTaylor11

That’s terrible news. Shows that a plug-in can accomplish something we pay for with Emby to do. Channel management and epg is basic functionality for a media center. And it’s not existent in Emby. Haven’t seen any advancement of any kind on channel management or epg since I’ve had the product. Granted I’ve only had it for 4 months, but I’ve been through the forums too. This issue has been around for years. Users need to keep pushing the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s terrible news. Shows that a plug-in can accomplish something we pay for with Emby to do. 

I guess you don't know what Next PVR is but the name should give a hint.  It's an EXCELLENT dedicated PVR solution for windows.  It's been around for a long time and is a well established/well regarded PVR solution.

Unlike Emby which does a whole lot of different things, Next PVR concentrates on DVR/Live TV functionality.

This to me is outstanding news and surely nothing "terrible" about it for Emby.  Next PVR can be setup and consumed by Emby with either a plugin or via M3U support which is awesome.

This for many people will help solve a major pain point.  Anything that makes life easier for me and my users is fantastic news!

Edited by cayars

We're currently testing it. A public beta will be available in a few weeks. 

I've searched your forums and can't really find any prominent mention of V5 anywhere.

Is there any ongoing conversations about this in the forums or it it all behind the scenes?

I've searched your forums and can't really find any prominent mention of V5 anywhere.

It's not publicly available yet, so I haven't released much information at this stage. 

It's the new multi-platform version that can run on Windows/Linux/Docker etc.

Edited by sub3
  • Like 1

IkeTaylor11

I guess you don't know what Next PVR is but the name should give a hint.  It's an EXCELLENT dedicated PVR solution for windows.  It's been around for a long time and is a well established/well regarded PVR solution.

Unlike Emby which does a whole lot of different things, Next PVR concentrates on DVR/Live TV functionality.

This to me is outstanding news and surely nothing "terrible" about it for Emby.  Next PVR can be setup and consumed by Emby with either a plugin or via M3U support which is awesome.

This for many people will help solve a major pain point.  Anything that makes life easier for me and my users is fantastic news!

Its terrible in the sense that people will shift to it rather than pushing Emby to be what they can be. Also, that still doesn't solve the issue of guide data being completely messed up which is what this thread is about in the first place. Doesn't matter what m3u or plugin you use if Emby still auto assigns channels, doesn't allow for channels to be unmapped, continues to map channels by name only, and won't give us insight into the epg channel names coming from GN. Which was the point of this thread in the first place. 

Its terrible in the sense that people will shift to it rather than pushing Emby to be what they can be. Also, that still doesn't solve the issue of guide data being completely messed up which is what this thread is about in the first place. Doesn't matter what m3u or plugin you use if Emby still auto assigns channels, doesn't allow for channels to be unmapped, continues to map channels by name only, and won't give us insight into the epg channel names coming from GN. Which was the point of this thread in the first place. 

Well it can matter depending on how you use NPVR.

You could elect to have NPVR do all grouping of like channels across your different tuners/m3U files.  You could then use any EPG sources you wish to use and map them directly in NPVR (not in Emby) and then run the Next PVR plugin for Emby.  Doing it this way you completely remove the Emby EPG sources and the issues that it currently has when you need to use multiple EPG sources.  This of course means not using Emby's built in EPG and securing your own EPG data.  For many people with advanced setups this would be an ok tradeoff (for now).

If you still wanted to use Emby's EPG data then you will still have the issues mentioned in this thread, but at least gain redundancy of tuners sources (combined), multi-rec, status panel to see what "tuners" are being used (even from M3U sources), etc.  These are all planned for Emby but would be immediately available to those who setup NPVR and export out a channel list, modify it with the "client" parameter and then set this up as an M3U source in Emby.

To me personally it's not terrible at all.  You can do all this now if you want to install TVHeadend.  NPVR is just a lot easier to setup and use then TVH for most people.

IkeTaylor11

You could elect to have NPVR do all grouping of like channels across your different tuners/m3U files.  You could then use any EPG sources you wish to use and map them directly in NPVR (not in Emby) and then run the Next PVR plugin for Emby.  Doing it this way you completely remove the Emby EPG sources and the issues that it currently has when you need to use multiple EPG sources.  This of course means not using Emby's built in EPG and securing your own EPG data.  For many people with advanced setups this would be an ok tradeoff (for now).

If you still wanted to use Emby's EPG data then you will still have the issues mentioned in this thread, but at least gain redundancy of tuners sources (combined), multi-rec, status panel to see what "tuners" are being used (even from M3U sources), etc.  These are all planned for Emby but would be immediately available to those who setup NPVR and export out a channel list, modify it with the "client" parameter and then set this up as an M3U source in Emby.

To me personally it's not terrible at all.  You can do all this now if you want to install TVHeadend.  NPVR is just a lot easier to setup and use then TVH for most people.

This entire thread is about USING Emby Guide data. Not looking for a workaround and using a plugin or a different EPG source. I want to use the Emby Guide Data because I pay for it. Its very good EPG, just not easy to assign and manage on channels. Thats why I created the thread in the first place. To get traction on getting Emby Guide Data fixed. 

The topic of this thread has not been lost.  We all know the current issues and limitation it poses. We also know how good the Data actually is as well (nothing better) which makes it all the more frustrating for some people with advanced setups.  This thread is not unique in that this has been talked about in many other threads as well.  There is no question channel management needs some TLC and has been acknowledged by the devs and team and is ALREADY SCHEDULED to be worked on and revamped.

Talking about some other VERY RELATED software that is supported by Emby in no way deters from what is said above.  If anything it strengthens the argument.  With some of the features available to us in 3rd party apps like NPVR, Media Portal, TVH, etc it makes this need even MORE IMPORTANT to get better EPG management.

• 1 month later...
IkeTaylor11

@@Luke is "Channel Management" still being actively worked on? Is there any timeline where we can expect to see some improvement to EPG and channel lineups? 

• 2 weeks later...
mosipd

With all of the recent updates to Emby, which there have been A LOT, I was really hoping that at least some minor features like removing a channel mapping would've been added. Each time I'd see a beta release on my dashboard I'd click the link with excitement hoping to see it in the release notes.

I manage about 20 individual Emby installations for friends and family. These latest changes in Emby have made guide management worse than before. I use a combination of HDHR and IPTV sources, but the HDHR gets pushed to Emby as an M3U file. It's much easier to create a master file and then roll that out to all the different installations. However with no option to simply unmap a channel, I've resorted to creating my own custom XMLTV file for problem channels or channels that don't have a matching source. This is a crude workaround but allows me to display static data on the guide and also allows for DVR recording. It's about the only way I've found to "unmap" a problem channel.

If there's ONE feature you're considering to add in a beta release, PLEASE PLEASE make it the ability to unmap a channel. Better still would be an option to turn on and off the auto guide mapping. Both would be the holy grail. I know you guys are "working on it" and there's no question that you've added MANY new features to Emby. In fact I often brag to people how Emby has a very active development team. If you could perhaps make this a bit more of a priority though I think many people would greatly appreciate it, I know I would!

Thanks for the feedback. Channel management is coming. We're just trying to get the 4.1 release wrapped up and then we should hopefully be working on it soon. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
IkeTaylor11

Thanks for the feedback. Channel management is coming. We're just trying to get the 4.1 release wrapped up and then we should hopefully be working on it soon. Thanks.

Have you guys begun to work on this yet? Haven't seen any improvement come through in BETA yet. 

Senna

Channel management is coming. We're just trying to get the 4.1 release wrapped up and then we should hopefully be working on it soon. Thanks.

Have you guys begun to work on this yet? Haven't seen any improvement come through in BETA yet.

Lets say.... planning of resources for improved Channel Management got a little bit delayed because other important Emby changes the Devs found to be more important :rolleyes:

Following the 3.6 release we'll be looking at revamping channel management altogether.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
IkeTaylor11

@@Luke, @@ebr and @@softworkz you guys have been silent on this for a very long time. This needs to become a priority. Zap2it only allows 3 days of epg download now. I can switch to mc2xml but that would require me to completely redo all my epg sources in Emby again.

We ABSOLUTELY need the ability to unmap channels and to be able to match a channel on tvg-Id instead of just a name or even partial name.

You have said channel management and better epg has been coming for months yet there is no movement on it. Please take action on this and get something into beta soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
mark-in-dallas

I would agree that channel mapping and management does need improvement, but just the other day I decided to attempt mapping my IPTV service though the Emby Guide and using its EPG, and while it took a little time to remap the channels correctly, I was able to do so, and the Gracenote Guide through EMBY is far, far superior to the EPG data I had been using for the last several months from 2 third party providers.

Yes it took a little effort to do so, and yes it could use improvement, but it can be done and it is well worth the effort.

• 1 month later...
Red5ive

...If you still wanted to use Emby's EPG data then you will still have the issues mentioned in this thread, but at least gain redundancy of tuners sources (combined), multi-rec, status panel to see what "tuners" are being used (even from M3U sources), etc.  These are all planned for Emby but would be immediately available to those who setup NPVR and export out a channel list, modify it with the "client" parameter and then set this up as an M3U source in Emby.

@@cayars  (or anyone else who has done similar) Can you advise on how to achieve this?

What settings in NextPVR to output the channel list, what to modify on it and how to set Emby up to import it?

Thanks in advance!

@@cayars

Edited by Red5ive

There are a couple of threads in the NextPVR section of the forum that explain how to setup NextPVR as an .m3u source.  This would move all functionality of this kind over to NextPVR and Emby would simply use it as an .m3u source.

• 8 months later...
mosipd

@Luke Just checking in on this thread a year later in the hope of raising this issue once again. I know there have been some improvements to the guide, specifically how it's displayed and it's much faster than before. However Emby still struggles with the ability to remove a mapping from a specific channel. There are quite a few channels where it's simply not possible to get guide data. The issue is that once a channel is mapped to a particular EPG source there's no way to remove the mapping. You can of course change the mapping, but that doesn't help if you have nothing to change it to. Is it really that difficult to just add in the ability to either remove a mapping or exclude a particular channel from the auto map feature?

Edited by mosipd

On 7/8/2020 at 4:23 AM, mosipd said:

@Luke Just checking in on this thread a year later in the hope of raising this issue once again. I know there have been some improvements to the guide, specifically how it's displayed and it's much faster than before. However Emby still struggles with the ability to remove a mapping from a specific channel. There are quite a few channels where it's simply not possible to get guide data. The issue is that once a channel is mapped to a particular EPG source there's no way to remove the mapping. You can of course change the mapping, but that doesn't help if you have nothing to change it to. Is it really that difficult to just add in the ability to either remove a mapping or exclude a particular channel from the auto map feature?

HI there, yes, hopefully soon. Thanks for the feedback.

• 3 months later...
ZootAllure

Yet here we are...4 months later and nada on a known problem going back over 2 years. It's impossible at this point to not call BS.

• 2 months later...
shdwkeeper
On 5/3/2019 at 9:17 PM, Luke said:

Is this happening?  Is Channel Management even on the radar?  Or is it yrs away?