Will PIP for ipad come back - or should I look for another Media Server?

RayBomb

RayBomb

PIP is something I really need, but I can't seem to get it working on my iPad running ios 12

Will Emby ever support PIP for iPad, or should i look for another media server system?

I really don't want to invest time into a system that never gonna implement what i require..

Thanx..

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

sfatula

This would be nice. IOS 13 will reportedly have picture by (but not in) picture potential as same app split view would be possible.

It is possible we could add an option to use the native apple player instead, which will give you PiP. If your videos are not mp4 though then you'll see a lot more server transcoding then you are now.

• Like 2

samuelqwe

It is possible we could add an option to use the native apple player instead, which will give you PiP. If your videos are not mp4 though then you'll see a lot more server transcoding then you are now.

I think that would be a good compromise considering there is currently no way of doing it with the MPV player. However, for those who need PIP right now, you should be able to achieve this by using Emby in Safari. This will make your content play via Apple’s player and will, in turn, give you the ability to use picture in picture.

• Like 1

BillOatman

Interesting how people think differently.  I would have never conceived of PIP being a deal breaker requirement.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Spaceboy

Interesting how people think differently. I would have never conceived of PIP being a deal breaker requirement.

people have got used to docking their video player while carrying on using other apps. It was a big plus when it was added to iOS, I’m not surprised at all
  • Like 1

sfatula

And I thought he meant 2 Emby recordings showing at the same time, which will be possible reportedly in IOS13. 

I can watch Emby while using another app on the iPad pro with the split view feature. It sort of qualifies then as what you are calling PIP, but only on a Pro I think.

SikSlayer

Thank GOD I didn't buy an iPad for this use case then. I was just in the market for a tablet to use as a multifunction remote, among other things, and bought a Huawei MediaPad M5 instead.

Finding out that it didn't do PiP would have pissed me off to no end. It was a requirement.

Edited by SikSlayer

• 11 months later...

Is the option added, I can not find the option to use the native apple player. 

• 3 months later...
jackandjohn

I would also like to add my name as requesting that setting.

I understand the multiple benefits of the non-native player, but I don’t mind lesser quality and more transcoding most of the time if it means I can have PiP

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We haven't done this yet but it's a possibility that we can look into. Thanks for the feedback.

• 4 weeks later...
ericprovan

Doh! So bummed. Moved from Plex to Emby recently. I can’t express how happy I am with Emby!!! With that said, I came here thinking I must be missing the setting for pip on iOS. I’m definitely surprised to find that pip is not currently an option. I can’t think of another media played on iOS that doesn’t have this feature. I get that not everyone uses it, but I do a lot of art on my iPad and use pip a LOT. Anyway, I guess all this can be summarized with, Emby is amazing but I’m super bummed there is no pip support.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Natelanxon

Would happily pay for this feature in Premiere. (I already pay, but let’s assume I’d pay more!) It’s the one and only one major drawback to relying on Emby alone.

EDIT: Would love background audio playback as well as an option, so i can listen to videos at night or when quickly switching between apps and don’t want the sound to pause.

Edited by Natelanxon
  • Like 1

SirBomble

I also curious if background play will be supported soon, as it is one of the features I lack to complete my full transition to emby. Do we have a eta or timeline? Do you offer a beta program for testing IOS features? 

26 minutes ago, SirBomble said:

I also curious if background play will be supported soon, as it is one of the features I lack to complete my full transition to emby. Do we have a eta or timeline? Do you offer a beta program for testing IOS features? 

I don't have an ETA but we are working on an automatic switch to the native player with server transcoding when you press the Pip button. That will allow us to accomplish it seamlessly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

jackandjohn
1 hour ago, Luke said:

automatic switch to the native player with server transcoding when you press the Pip button

Nice. That would do it

Natelanxon
2 hours ago, Luke said:

I don't have an ETA but we are working on an automatic switch to the native player with server transcoding when you press the Pip button. That will allow us to accomplish it seamlessly.

That would be amazing. It’s how Infuse does it for PiP. Would it work for background playback also, i.e. audio from a video while a screen is locked or when switching apps?

Cheesegeezer
33 minutes ago, Natelanxon said:

That would be amazing. It’s how Infuse does it for PiP. Would it work for background playback also, i.e. audio from a video while a screen is locked or when switching apps?

I’ll let luke answer but if it switches to native iOS player, then everything apple claim the native player can do it will do. 
if you are not on .mov or .mp4 files transcoding will be taking place on your server side.

pS i love infuse but only every use it on the plane for watching stored content on my ipad. I hate they keep charging for evey release!!

Edited by Cheesegeezer