198 replies to this topic

#181 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 52082 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

Hi.  We are very sorry this has happened to you.  We are trying to get a release out but it is taking longer than we had hoped.

The danger here is very limited and, while it did impact you, it does not impact the vast majority of Emby users.  That is why we are not broadcasting something widely.  It would likely be mis-interpreted (like this thread has many times) and cause people to fear something that is not a problem for them at all.

We are working as fast as we can to get a fix out.

#182 NikeSwe OFFLINE  

NikeSwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

But it's your fault if not having backups  :ph34r: 
Just kidding but it sure sound like that from some users...

#183 Lowry OFFLINE  

Lowry

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

The danger here is very limited and, while it did impact you, it does not impact the vast majority of Emby users.  That is why we are not broadcasting something widely.  It would likely be mis-interpreted (like this thread has many times) and cause people to fear something that is not a problem for them at all.

This is a garbage denial.  You don't want to be known as the media server that deletes all of your media, so you're throwing users under the bus and hoping you can fix it before too many people notice.  If you have VIDEO_TS files and you delete one of them through the UI, Emby might delete your whole freakin library.  That is not some rare lottery occurrence.  You can google forums & reddits where people literally recommend Emby BECAUSE you can play VIDEO_TS files.  This is dizzying incompetence and now it's just unethical & disgusting.

• NikeSwe likes this

#184 ~Achilles~ OFFLINE  

~Achilles~

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

Hard lesson learned. Don’t allow Emby/Infuse/Kodi/Plex full permissions to anything but DVR content. Wisdom gained through experience is rough...
  • cayars likes this

#185 Lowry OFFLINE  

Lowry

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

Hard lesson learned. Don’t allow Emby/Infuse/Kodi/Plex full permissions to anything but DVR content. Wisdom gained through experience is rough...

yeah yeah yeah, i'm past the hard lesson.  this is about EMBY learning the hard lesson and taking responsibility for their software, and correcting their wreckless approach to this goddamn near comical software disaster.  This isn't just a bug, THIS IS A MEDIA SERVER THAT OOPSIE-DAISEY ACCIDENTALLY DELETES ALL OF YOUR MEDIA.  They made NO overtures or attempts to warn users & keep this from happening to others.  THEY'VE KNOWN ALL ALONG AND STILL DON'T GIVE A F*** IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN BEFORE THEY CAN FIX IT AS LONG AS THEY DON'T HAVE TO ADMIT THEIR COMICAL INCOMPETENCE.

Edited by CBers, 11 March 2019 - 02:27 PM.
Removed inappropriate language

#186 NikeSwe OFFLINE  

NikeSwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:52 PM

I will continue to give access exactly the way I do today, I will not remove the delete option from my own or any admin account in Emby (my kids can't delete). I have worked in the it industry for ~20 years now so the "wisdom" is there. Know what you do and it will work out alright for you. Backup stuff you can't afford to lose and live your life without being too paranoid. Stuff happens and it's not the end of the world but it sure sucks when stuff does things it shouldn't. A ransomware or virus also sucks. Takes hours to recover even with backups so, whatever, it will continue to happen. I have never had a virus or ransomware destroy MY files, my customers on the other hand... I'm the one that will fix it for them. This is an isolated incident. I will not change a good and working concept because Emby did this once (not to me, I have not lost any files), but i sure will complain if it happens again. Livin' la vida Loca! ;)

A bit worried about this not being fixed in the stable version yet. It's been days now. Devs should drop everything and just make sure this won't happen. If that takes time, WARN YOUR USERS OFFICIALLY. 

Edited by NikeSwe, 11 March 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#187 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6092 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

I understand the need to explode. Even the need to curse publically, use uppercase, and make the situation about yourself. There are others in this thread also suffering this issue. Please don't think you need to also chime in how horrible this is this happens. How f'd up it is that Emby allowed this to happen. Or conjecture on where the Emby team should spend their time. Also don't get me wrong this is a problem it deletes your shit. It isn't something taken lightly. There are no <warning> to users under 13 who may view this thread so please curb your usage of the f word and reduce it down to just an f.

This isn't about you yet you are making it about yourself. Then you point the finger at Emby. Well why the F did you install new software and just expect the road to be paved? You did no protection to keep this from happening? Now sure you can go.. who are you? What are you even doing speaking to me? You peasant go back to your cave! Ok.. but really this isn't something you need to prove to others how angry you can get and how much text you can type in uppercase. There isn't a contest for biggest a-hole poster in this thread. There is no award for best comeback to a trolling comment either. So please don't take the time to reply to this post just listen.

We are people. Emby is just people. Humans deserve to f up every now then. Chalk this up to experience and get yourself a backup or stop using Emby to delete things. It isn't rational to have others who read this see how angry it can make someone and then go.. wow.. glad that didn't happen to me I would probably react the same way. In your case no I wouldn't. I would immediately take the drive offline. Use recovery software and try to make sense of what went wrong and try to prevent it in the future. I would let the software company know it did this and leave it at that. I wouldn't try to take down the company with a war of words and a thread that never ends. I am just a person. Not worth your time to attack with flames. It is just tiring seeing this repeated we heard you once. Thanks. :)

• TomTiddler, cayars, rbjtech and 1 other like this

#188 Lowry OFFLINE  

Lowry

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

i am literally trying to raise awareness so that EMBY warns users, and takes responsibility.  I am trying to keep it from happening to others by pressuring them to make an official announcement or take the software offline.  how is that selfish?  but ok.

#189 slevin7 OFFLINE  

slevin7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:08 PM

i am literally trying to raise awareness so that EMBY warns users, and takes responsibility.  I am trying to keep it from happening to others by pressuring them to make an official announcement or take the software offline.  how is that selfish?  but ok.

It read like you literally try to annoy the devs. Pressuring is one case but you insult them like they made this mistake just for fun and only for you to wipe only your data.
Yes it is an issue and its bad and you are angry we know okay wait for the dev to fix the issue

#190 KMarks0201 OFFLINE  

KMarks0201

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:11 PM

This is a garbage denial.  You don't want to be known as the media server that deletes all of your media, so you're throwing users under the bus and hoping you can fix it before too many people notice.  If you have VIDEO_TS files and you delete one of them through the UI, Emby might delete your whole freakin library.  That is not some rare lottery occurrence.  You can google forums & reddits where people literally recommend Emby BECAUSE you can play VIDEO_TS files.  This is dizzying incompetence and now it's just unethical & disgusting.

You can Google forums and reddit's where people recommend backing up your data as well... but you didn't listen to them.

Personally just reading your posts, it appears you have an agenda here.  If you really lost data, sorry that happened.  It's not like this sort of thing has never happened with Plex (it has).  Calling this "dizzying incompetence" shows you have no idea what you are talking about.  Mistakes happen.. they always have and always will.. most mistakes are minor, occasionally they are major.  Unfortunately, this one was the latter.

#191 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6092 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:12 PM

Make a new thread. Make it not attacking but warning. Try to make people see things your way but not your anger. Make them see the sorrow and loss something like this causes. You will get a far better reaction. This thread is tainted because of all the vitrol existing here. It will be much better to create a thread as a warning to others and then use that to vent your experience and share with others how this happened. Please remember that there are laws in countries regarding children under 13 viewing objectionable material. Part of that is the language. If you clean up the langauge and use the emotional angle to explain to others a warning about the delete feature i see no problem at all. The anger is what causes the wrong emotional response and makes developers defensive. Explain it like they just killed your daughters disney collection. How shattered she is. She asks what did she do wrong? Does she believe it was a software bug or in the core of her heart does she think you did it? You have to explain how bad things happen to good people. How it will take you at least a month to rebuild just half the collection she had. Make it less about yourself and your feelings and use context that will allow a reader to discover the emotional response on their own. Without a need for uppercase or cursing. Please start a new thread this one has gone off the rails. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles, 11 March 2019 - 02:16 PM.

• TomTiddler likes this

#192 Lowry OFFLINE  

Lowry

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:12 PM

It read like you literally try to annoy the devs. Pressuring is one case but you insult them like they made this mistake just for fun and only for you to wipe only your data.
Yes it is an issue and its bad and you are angry we know okay wait for the dev to fix the issue

you are misreading this entire situation.  who said the devs did this for fun or only to me?  that's insane and i don't know what you're projecting onto me.  we agree it's a bad situation, but i'm also of the opinion that it's the devs who are being selfish by not warning their users or otherwise taking the software offline.  they've made no move in this direction as peoples media are being erased by their "bug".  do you really not see the issue here?

#193 NikeSwe OFFLINE  

NikeSwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

For how long should we wait then? How many more people are going to lose data while we wait? This is not acceptable. When knowing the fix will take time to publish, how hard could it be to warn existing users not reading the forums? Like "We found a serious bug, don't use the delete function until new version". Emby server has this good function that publish news, use it? I understand why Emby may wish to not do that. More people will know about this serious bug and people not affected by the bug will also know it exists. It may be too late now. The warning should have been published from the beginning and Emby should have been open about it from the start. I don't know if doing it now will smell bad damage control, a bit too late. More and more people are going to hit the bug and turn to this forum just to see that this has been known for days (at least) and no one warned them. Acceptable collateral damage? People will react with anger and getting answers like "you should backup your stuff", "wisdom gained through experience is rough" or "you suck because you can't control access to your file system" won't make them happier, trust me.

Edited by NikeSwe, 11 March 2019 - 02:24 PM.

• Lowry likes this

#194 jaquestati OFFLINE  

jaquestati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

i can see/even accept things happening like this in a beta... it's the fact the devs known for like a week that it's in the stable release as well... and the release hasn't been pulled/no one has been warned... is a little scary/disheartening.

ps- i think i'm one of the main ones someone referred to above as saying on a lot of forums that i specifically use emby for dvd folders, isos and blu rays.... well at least one of those still work... (though after this debacle i wonder for how long :) : (
it's been going in the wrong direction for a while....so i absolutely would have been one of the ones losing an entire library (several hundred terabytes) if not for my media drive being unionfs/in the cloud/read only. (which i've always been annoyed by... but that god for now : ) if that had happened in the last 5 or 6 days i think i would have lost my mind/gone postal at the lack of a major warning.

• Lowry likes this

#195 Lowry OFFLINE  

Lowry

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

not my job to spin lost disney anecdotes, it is squarely the dev's jobs to mitigate this disaster by taking the software offline or otherwise warning users about a harmful "bug" which they've known about and have not taken any action or responsibility for.

• NikeSwe likes this

#196 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15954 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:25 PM

OK, OK, let's all calm down.

I know people have lost content, which is inexcusable, but using abuse and inappropriate language doesn't help anyone.

Luke has released a BETA version which has been tested and has found to have fixed the issue, so anyone who has updated to that BETA should be safe going forward.

A STABLE version will be released in due course, (I know he said within 24 hours), so in the mean time, disable the DELETE functionality for all users (including Admins) on your system until the STABLE release is available.

For the time being, and to stop this thread getting any more heated, I will lock it for 24 hours, or until the devs have put out a release, whichever is sooner.

Thanks.

Edited by CBers, 11 March 2019 - 02:26 PM.

• FrostByte, Trunk and Bob1971 like this

#197 Abobader OFFLINE  

Abobader

Super-Tester

• Administrators
  • 9493 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:47 PM

Good day,

I know Luke & Ebr working hard to bring a fix for this.

But .. I agree with the point that users should notify about the issue, even if it a "beta" build.

My best

#198 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15954 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

Emby Server 4.0.3.0 Hotfix Release available soon.
  • NikeSwe likes this

#199 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15954 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:45 AM

https://github.com/M...ses/tag/4.0.3.0

• TomTiddler and hotwheelzffx like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic