Photo

Some videos won't cast to chromecast

chromecast

Best Answer softworkz , 07 March 2019 - 12:52 AM

It seems that you are running Emby on a server without having a monitor connected.

Emby has probably incorrectly detected QuickSync to be available on the virtual graphics adapter ("QuickSync RDPDD Chained DD").

This kind of incorrect detection had been fixed in the latest beta versions.

For now, you should disable those incorrectly detected hardware acceleration codecs by selecting the "Advanced" configuration.

PS: The upcoming beta will support QuickSync in headless (no-monitor) configurations!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheShanMan OFFLINE  

TheShanMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 07:54 PM

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:57 PM

I recently converted all my symlinks to hardlinks because I read in another thread that symlinks are problematic. That seems to have helped with videos playing reliably on my phone itself. However, some videos don't want to cast to my chromecast devices. I get the spinner on my TV, then I get the player controls at the bottom of the Emby app, but after about a second both go away and the picture for the video.

It's not obvious to me from looking at the log file what the problem is however I see that ffmpeg quits after maybe a half second.

I restarted the server, turned on debug logging, and then performed my test in order to capture full detail but not more than necessary. The log is attached.

2 questions:

1. Why is it failing and how do I fix it?
  2. Why is it trying to transcode? It's not a high bandwidth file. Does chromecast require a fixed resolution like 1080p in order to avoid transcoding?

Attached Files

• Attached File  Log.txt   183.69KB   2 downloads

Edited by TheShanMan, 02 March 2019 - 03:16 PM.

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 126928 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 PM

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:56 PM

Hi there, can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

#3 TheShanMan OFFLINE  

TheShanMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

Sorry, I didn't notice that you also have to click "attach this file" to get the log file uploaded. It's now attached to the original post. I've also found the ffmpeg log files and they're attached here. Thanks!

Attached Files

• Attached File  logs.zip   13.34KB   2 downloads

#4 TheShanMan OFFLINE  

TheShanMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:04 PM

Any update on this?

#5 softworkz ONLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1397 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 AM

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:52 AM   Best Answer

It seems that you are running Emby on a server without having a monitor connected.

Emby has probably incorrectly detected QuickSync to be available on the virtual graphics adapter ("QuickSync RDPDD Chained DD").

This kind of incorrect detection had been fixed in the latest beta versions.

For now, you should disable those incorrectly detected hardware acceleration codecs by selecting the "Advanced" configuration.

PS: The upcoming beta will support QuickSync in headless (no-monitor) configurations!

• TheShanMan likes this

#6 TheShanMan OFFLINE  

TheShanMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:22 AM

I do have a monitor connected. My Emby server is also my TV where I run Emby Theater. That said, the TV is powered off almost always when I encounter this failure to cast (different TV).

#7 TheShanMan OFFLINE  

TheShanMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:27 AM

I'm not seeing where to configure the codec stuff. I assumed you were talking about Emby server settings but the Advanced page doesn't have codec stuff and I can't find it on other server settings pages.

#8 softworkz ONLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1397 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 AM

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:43 AM

It's the first option here: https://github.com/M...iki/Transcoding

Set it to "Advanced" to see the codec list.

But you need to be careful: This list reflects the state from the point in time when you started Emby Server. If you change the display configuration later, it might be no longer accurate.

#9 TheShanMan OFFLINE  

TheShanMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

That seems to have been the problem. I haven't seen it happen since making the change you suggested. However, I still see the QuickSync options in 4.0.3. Maybe you meant it's fixed in builds after 4.0.3?

#10 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 126928 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 PM

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:22 PM

4.1+.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chromecast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users