Anyone seen this error before?

HTPC23

Got three TCL TVs which have the Roku built in.  Had Emby App running on them forever just fine.  However now one of my three TVs gives me the following error when I try and access it...

5c772c7171a15_Rokuerror.png

The app still pulls up fine on both my other TVs (one being wired and the other wireless). 

The TV I am having issue on is also wireless but runs Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. just fine.

Ticket has been submitted thru TCL also but just curious if anyone else has run into this before?

Thanks

Unplug the TV and wait 30 seconds then plug it back in. This will force the TV to ask for an IP address again. Merely turing off the TV and back on does not.

If this doesn't work then try removing the server from the app.

How was that app connecting to your server manually or via connect? These things do matter. If these are at your home both Roku and Emby server try to set up this up manually and choose your Host/IP and Port. This should end the shenanigans.

If this doesn't work you may want to check your Roku network. From your Roku homescreen choose Settngs >> Network >> Check connection. You might also want to set up the connection over again to ensure it is all green checkmarks.

Other than this if it is still giving you grief your router/firewall might be blocking port 8096 (or whatever your emby port is) for that IP address your TV is assigned. It may have tried to access Emby while Emby wasn't running and the router/firewall may block you after as an intruder. These are all in the order how you should check them.

If this still doesn't fix it the issue is something else with that TV directly. At that point it is something TCL may be doing something poorly network related.

Edited by speechles

Thanks for all the info so far.  

Have already done the unplug from wall, factory reset, even some secret sauce stuff that TCL tech support had me do but still no go.  Will try them again though and just going to unplug the TV for the night and try tomorrow.

When it was working it was setup manually.  I also went back in and tried to do the connect option but no go there.

Will check the port blocking on the TV IP address as I haven't seen that one before.  So sounds like your saying the Emby app on the TV may have tried to connect to the Emby server while it was not running (which can happen with the way I have my Emby server setup - aka its not always on).

Thanks again for the info.

It might be related to another issue we are chasing. The same one where multiple servers the user is not remembered. I can get this to give me the same -7 error. This may be something we can resolve on our end and it has to do with multiple server entries using connect and manual entry. It is being investigated.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/70763-emby-does-not-remember-user-for-multiple-servers/

This may be the same cause. This could be related. Stay tuned.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

HTPC23

So after leaving it unplugged overnight it still didnt work when I plugged it back in.

I checked the router and no port blocked there.

I switched the wireless network on the TV from my regular one to the guest one.  Still didnt work.  Switched it back, still didnt work.  

Network test on TV work just fine, no issues streaming other services.

During all of this I went upstairs to my other TCL/Roku TV that is connected via wireless and the Emby app worked just fine on it.

Guess I will just wait and see if the above message turns up anything.

Thanks

So after leaving it unplugged overnight it still didnt work when I plugged it back in.

I checked the router and no port blocked there.

I switched the wireless network on the TV from my regular one to the guest one.  Still didnt work.  Switched it back, still didnt work.  

Network test on TV work just fine, no issues streaming other services.

During all of this I went upstairs to my other TCL/Roku TV that is connected via wireless and the Emby app worked just fine on it.

Guess I will just wait and see if the above message turns up anything.

Thanks

There is one extra thing you can do to perhaps fix it.

1) Uninstall every Emby app you have from that Roku. This is unfortunately part of the process.

2) Reboot/Restart your Roku. Do not skip this step. If you skip this step the registry will not be cleared.

3) Install back all your Emby apps you had on your Roku previously.

This might be all that is required. Sometimes the array stored in the registry becomes corrupt. It might not be reliable any longer to store keys. Each app has its own registry which is tied to an developer ID. Since both the regular store version of the Emby app and the Beta app share the same developer ID you must remove both to get the registry cleared.

Let us know if this solves your problem or not.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

There is one extra thing you can do to perhaps fix it.

1) Uninstall every Emby app you have from that Roku. This is unfortunately part of the process.

2) Reboot/Restart your Roku. Do not skip this step. If you skip this step the registry will not be cleared.

3) Install back all your Emby apps you had on your Roku previously.

This might be all that is required. Sometimes the array stored in the registry becomes corrupt. It might not be reliable any longer to store keys. Each app has its own registry which is tied to an developer ID. Since both the regular store version of the Emby app and the Beta app share the same developer ID you must remove both to get the registry cleared.

Let us know if this solves your problem or not.

Can't get to my Roku right now but isn't there a reset option in setting that does the same thing?

Never mind as that would assume you can get to settings.

Edited by Happy2Play

Can't get to my Roku right now but isn't there a reset option in setting that does the same thing?

Never mind as that would assume you can get to settings.

Yes. Yes there is. But he cannot make it into the app to get there.

In BNN there is an option to clear registry too. It is placed on the select user screen for this very reason. In case a user can't even log in.

HTPC23

@speechles Yea I have tried that already with no luck but will do it again.

This weekend I'm going to set a static IP on the TV to see if that helps any.

Once you do the uninstall, reboot/restart, install and try again it should work. It has to be something stuck in the registry giving you grief. As long as your Emby server and your problem RokuTV are on the same 192.168.X.* network (10.0.X.*) .. where X is the same on both. Are you sure yours are?

Edited by speechles

HTPC23

I have done the uninstall, reboot/retart, etc. over five time now and still no luck.  :-(

Even did the secret sauce beyond factory reboot that TCL walked me thru (which worked last time this happen btw) but no luck.

• 3 weeks later...
HTPC23

Well I have tried everything 2 to 5 times if not  more and still no luck...

• Uninstall and Reinstall the Emby App
  • Factory Reset of the TV
  • Keep it unplug for more than 24 hours
  • Changed from my normal wifi to guest wifi
  • Changed from random IP address to static IP address
  • Multiple restarts/reboots

Any news on the link that speechles posted above?  Any word about getting that fixed?

Thanks

Is it always the -7 error?

That means we cannot detect the server exists. The app can attempt to WOL but the reply comes back to you saying no route to that host. That either means you are on a different subnet than the 192.168.x with that Roku. Or it means that your router is blocking the attempt to WOL. Something somewhere is causing the issue. When the error is -7 that means the physical link between your Roku and that IP address is impossible. Something somewhere is actively refusing it.

... and I think I have the answer ...

https://community.hubitat.com/t/roku-tv-device-driver/8796

It is caused by the RokuTV going into sleep, not just screensaver. RokuTV behaves differently.

You should be able to simply go to Roku homescreen. Then Settings >> Network >> Check connection. For some reason when these RokuTV wake up sometimes they have no network available.

I cannot give more advice because I have never seen this issue reported anywhere else. This might be firmware related and eventually when your RokuTV gets 9.0 firmware this just stops happening. I can't give more answers without just throwing out conjecture and unverifiable information to you. I would be giving you fake news.

I honestly wish there were more we could do here at this moment. With the information known at this time it is just difficult to find a root cause.

We can keep pointing our fingers but unless you know the culprit you are just interrogate suspects until you feel confident you exhaust all suspects. We can go through the lineup which is what I have done. We went through all things that could/should be causing this. Now I need more information either by seeing others on the internet with the same issue and how they resolved it or another person on this forum with the same issue. If there was a root cause we could remove this effect. There is a cause/effect relationship at play here and I don't know what that is.

Edited by speechles

gjviii

Well I have tried everything 2 to 5 times if not  more and still no luck...

• Uninstall and Reinstall the Emby App
  • Factory Reset of the TV
  • Keep it unplug for more than 24 hours
  • Changed from my normal wifi to guest wifi
  • Changed from random IP address to static IP address
  • Multiple restarts/reboots

Any news on the link that speechles posted above?  Any word about getting that fixed?

Thanks

i'm going to throw this out, because i had a similar issue where a device wouldnt connect.   try connecting to another network to rule out your router/modem.   i connected to my galaxy hotspot and then was able to connect to the server.  at that point, i threw in a new router and didnt have any issues connecting any devices...   no idea what the issue truly was but i wanted to reach out with this idea to rule out local network issue...

Edited by gjviii
  • Like 1

HTPC23

First of all I apprecaite everyone's reponse and helpful suggestions in this thread.

@@speechles - Thanks for the additinal info. 

Yes its always the -7 error.

I am on the same subnet.

I checked out that link but not sure I understand it.  Anytime the TV is used it is turned off once were done so it never goes into sleep mode.  Unless turning it off with the remote puts it in sleep mode instead of turning it off which I would assume it does.  

I have done the Check Connection a few times but will try it again.

Again appreciate all the info.

@@gjviii - Thanks for the additional info.

I have tried to connect it to my guest wifi network instead of a standard one a couple of time but will try it again.

Will also try the hotspot method you spoke about above as I have not done that.

Again appreciate all the info.

Maybe where the RokuTV is in your home is a dead zone? Some interference around that causes the RokuTV to have to select a new wifi channel always? Eventually, possibly, it could find the interference so bad that it turns off the wifi radio thinking it is being attacked or noised out(trapped). To remedy when this happens you need to physically unplug the TV from the wall. Wait the 15-30 seconds for the capacitance in the power supply to give its last volts/amps up to the circuitry of the TV. Once it all is de-energized plug it back in. Then you should immediately have back everything unless the interference is there. You can check if this is happening with an app like Wifi Analyzer for Android. Put your Android device near the wifi antenna on the back of the RokuTV and see where the levels go for your signal to your phone. Make sure you are using the same band wifi on your phone as your RokuTV. 2.4g v 5g. You should be able to isolate the problem and maybe move the TV a few feet left/right can solve this too.

Edited by speechles

I had a similar issue and found that the Roku app had recently updated on one of my Rokus.  My pihole had been blocking roku from doing this on the others but one slipped through.  In an effort to clear the error i deleted the emby app and re-added it. But then emby still wouldn't connect.  So I updated the server version to the latest and the problem went away.

These Roku forced update compatibility and connection problems are why I dumped Plex.  At the very least developers should send out a notification that the server side will need to be updated.  Once I get on a stable version i tend to stay there to avoid being a beta tester for developers, forcing me to update can be a royal PITA and should be optional. 

Thanks for the feedback. We will make sure to do a better job of communicating that going forward.

HTPC23

So just to let everyone know and again thanks for everyones feedback/help here.

I left the TV unplug for a week.  Once I plugged it back in it didnt automatically find my wireless so I hit the check internet connection and it found it right away (no need to put in my password or anything).  I installed the Emby app again and now all of a sudden it works.

I had left it unplugged before for about 24-48 hours and did the same thing but no go.  I can only assume that leaving it unplugged for a longer time must have reset something.  Regardless it is working again and I just wanted to post this in case someone else has this same issue as an option to try.

Thanik again to everyone!

• 1 month later...
lionslair2100

I had the same issue, however once I uninstalled the Emby app from the Roku and reinstalled it, it worked. However I also changed the name of the server. Presently its working alright, although it is reloading a bit more than I would like for a wired connection. By the way this version did boast of the enhanced features built in just for Roku.