#1 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Local time: 10:42 PM

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:14 PM

Having two issues with the beta.

1. Unable to switch users, doing so gives error "invalid username or password". This works properly on the store version.

2. Unable to jump to letter in large library (700+ titles), wheel just spins and app freezes. Jumping by letter works in smaller library.

#2 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

A reboot appears to fixed #2, still seems a bit slower than was though.

Edit: still an issue. Seems to work okay if I jump to a letter close to where I am, but jumping to a letter far away (eg. screen is displaying movies starting with B and I try to jump to letter W) causes it to hang.

Edit 2: I see the login issue has been reported earlier and requires updating the server to fix.

Edited by Lane03, 27 February 2019 - 08:57 PM.

#3 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4266 posts
  • Local time: 07:42 PM

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:04 PM

A reboot appears to fixed #2, still seems a bit slower than was though.

Edit: still an issue. Seems to work okay if I jump to a letter close to where I am, but jumping to a letter far away (eg. screen is displaying movies starting with B and I try to jump to letter W) causes it to hang.

Edit 2: I see the login issue has been reported earlier and requires updating the server to fix.

#2 Might need a setting to avoid. I noticed this too it takes ages to get to letters such as S or T in a large library of content. There may need to be compromise.

The search is loading as if you scrolled down to that letter. In this way it is easier to navigate back. Say you want Star Wars. Choose T and go back up. This does work but at the cost of loading content you may have no interest in. For example you load T and it loads #-S too. This is why it is slow. We may need a setting.

Alpha picker behavior: Standard / Exact

Standard - scroll to jump letter

Exact - jump to letter exactly

Something like the above would alleviate the issue as I never really use the browse back of letter jump either. :)

• Happy2Play likes this

#4 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:12 PM

#2 Might need a setting to avoid. I noticed this too it takes ages to get to letters such as S or T in a large library of content. There may need to be compromise.

The search is loading as if you scrolled down to that letter. In this way it is easier to navigate back. Say you want Star Wars. Choose T and go back up. This does work but at the cost of loading content you may have no interest in. For example you load T and it loads #-S too. This is why it is slow. We may need a setting.

Alpha picker behavior: Standard / Exact

Standard - scroll to jump letter
Exact - jump to letter exactly

Something like the above would alleviate the issue as I never really use the browse back of letter jump either. :)

A setting would be much appreciated. I can actually make it freezes by jumping far enough ahead. I didn't have this issue with the alpha picker when it was first released, but I haven't really used it since you added the ability to go back up.

#5 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4266 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:43 PM

Reference: Issue #258: Alpha picker jump slow in large libraries

Giving it the attention it deserves and a place on the tracker.

#6 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:22 PM

Reference: Issue #258: Alpha picker jump slow in large libraries

Giving it the attention it deserves and a place on the tracker.

Awesome speechles! Thanks again for the great support. One quick question, is the tracker posted anywhere? Be nice to be able to see if you're already aware of an issue before making a post.

#7 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44152 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:37 PM

700 items is not that large.  I suspect something else is going on.

Is the app still responsive when this happens?  Can you back out of the screen?

#8 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4266 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:42 PM

Awesome speechles! Thanks again for the great support. One quick question, is the tracker posted anywhere? Be nice to be able to see if you're already aware of an issue before making a post.

I always use the same style when I announce them. The best method for the public is search for "Reference" and my username. These should all be announcements of issues/features users have reported/requested. The actual tracker isn't for public consumption as we debate in it often. It is more for us to have internal discourse on how/who/when the issue/feature has movement. These discussions can/do contain code/images ahead of time that reveal pre-production work. This pre-production work may not be final so any images/conversation about how it would work would no longer be relevant. It is for this reason it is kept as a notebook of what users have given us as feedback to help better tailor a direction for the future. Hopefully you understand. There is nothing hidden I disclose every single issue/feature we are tracking. No exceptions.

Go to the Roku section of the forums: search for "Reference" without the quotes. This will show a pretty accurate reflection of our issue/feature tracker for Roku. This is just within the roku forum mind you. There may be others who brought up issues in other forum sections that we are also tracking for Roku that I've also mentioned "Reference" in but this gives you an easy way to track most of them.

Edited by speechles, 27 February 2019 - 10:48 PM.

• Lane03 likes this

#9 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:45 PM

700 items is not that large. I suspect something else is going on.

Is the app still responsive when this happens? Can you back out of the screen?

Not sure if it matters, but I have a ton of collections in that library, so it's 700 items in the list but actually well over 1000 actual movies. To answer your question, depending on how far I'm jumping it will show the spinning wheel for 5-10 seconds then jump properly. If picking a letter quite a ways down it will spin the wheel forever and the app is non responsive.

Edited by Lane03, 27 February 2019 - 10:47 PM.

#10 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44152 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:56 PM

Okay.  I suspect this is the app crashing due to a piece of data.

Can you scroll manually all the way to the bottom of the list?

#11 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:05 PM

Okay. I suspect this is the app crashing due to a piece of data.

Can you scroll manually all the way to the bottom of the list?

Yep, no issues manually scrolling.

#12 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4266 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

Following up here. In discussion there is no need for a setting to do the old style of jump. I apologize but the server API will adopt a new method to allow more efficient jumping. Until then the present method will need to remain. I hope you understand. There will soon be a way for you to visually see the progress of the loading as the jump occurs. The first two letters of the last item fetched in the grid will appear below the loading spinner. This will give a clear indication of where the loading is at during jumps and give you a real indication of how long the spinner will be spinning.

Also I do notice the spinning forever during jumps too. This will also be investigated it is an issue.

Reference: Issue #258: Closed. (replaced with the below)

Reference: Issue #260: Sometimes jumping does not complete

#13 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the update speechles, and I'm glad you were able to reproduce the spinning forever issue during jumps as well.

#14 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4266 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the update speechles, and I'm glad you were able to reproduce the spinning forever issue during jumps as well.

Not only did I reproduce it I think I have solved the issue. I have submitted changes that address the spinner becoming lost and loading never completing during jumps as well as a visual progress indicator showing how far the jump is loading while the spinner is onscreen. We will see what @ebr thinks but these should be coming to an app near you shortly. Keep the bug-reports/feature-requests coming. :)

NOTE: The good news is the fix does not incur a time penalty to loading. It should be faster with this as it will load chunks twice the size(300) as browsing to the bottom does(150). This speeds up jumping and cuts the requests in half sent and received from the server (aka less hammering).

Edited by speechles, 01 March 2019 - 07:58 PM.

• Lane03 likes this

#15 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

Thanks speechles. Looking forward to the new beta.
  • unisoft likes this

#16 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44152 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

Please test this with 3.0.148.

Thanks.

#17 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:51 PM

Much improved! I did have it lock up (circle spinning forever) once doing a large jump (from A to W) but have not been able to reproduce that again. I'm not seeing a visual indicator where it is at in the jump as speechles mentioned, but perhaps that is coming later or was decided against?

Edited by Lane03, 13 March 2019 - 09:54 PM.

#18 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44152 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:44 AM

or was decided against?

Hi.  We decided against that for now.

How long does it take to jump from beginning to "Z" in your library?

#19 Lane03 OFFLINE  

Lane03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:11 PM

Hi. We decided against that for now.

How long does it take to jump from beginning to "Z" in your library?

6 or 7 seconds.

#20 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44152 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:26 AM

6 or 7 seconds.

Okay, that is livable.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users