Cheapest server mainly for Live TV

igorjrr

Hello.

Currently what would be the cheapest hardware I can use to install emby server?

The plan is just to connect emby with HDHomeRun and be able to watch live TV from outside home wifi. HDHomeRun doesn't support it natively, so it requires Plex or Emby. Plex requires PlexPass (paid) to broadcast live TV and emby does that for free via emby server.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

Nvidia shield? We also require emby premiere for live TV.

Thanks, but are you sure that for Live TV it requires the subscription? I saw that only DVR (recording) requires that, but not live tv.

• 2 months later...
tdiguy

I guess it depends somewhat. I use https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157727 as the mobo / pu of my build and mi box devices as the client devices. A lot of it depends on what you plan to do for client devices. If they support direct streaming of whatever your provider transmits then its going to require very little processing power. If you have to transcode you will either want hardware acceleration or a lot of processing power.

tdiguy

Nvidia Shield is the way to go. I have 2 of them on older dumb tvs. Very quick and responsive.

As server devices or clients? A nvidia shield as a server is a decently cheap idea, but using them throughout the house as clients is almost the most expensive way to go about it. Only thing i think more expensive would be computers at every tv.