Roku App and Emby Premiere

FiberInternetUser

FiberInternetUser

Hello,

I had a worker accidentally cut my Internet Fiber Connection today.  So, I lose all connections for Phone, TV and Internet.  It will get fixed tomorrow, so it will be a short lived problem.  I have an Emby server with Live TV using an outdoor antenna.   With that I can watch the local news and programs. 

Well, I found out quickly, that didn't work, EMBY server wants to call back to the mother ship to verify that indeed I am paying for Premiere.  No problem, I will connect my server through my Cell Phone hot spot and let the EMBY server validate my credentials.  EMBY server likes that.  I can now go to my PC and use  EMBY Theater to view my local channels.  It is a little inconvenient for the whole family to gather around my computer screen, so I will let each family member use the ROKU attached to the TV's in their room to watch the local channels.  Guess what, that does not work.  I can watch all the content  on my EMBY server but I can't watch live TV through the ROKU app.  My internal network was not affected by the fiber cut.  My ROKU app is not satisfied that my EMBY server has validated my Premiere account and apparently  wants to go to the Internet and validate it too.

So, I guess the lesson I learned today is Live TV is a no no, on both EMBY servers and PLEX servers (I have a subscription for Live TV on PLEX) if you don't have an internet connection.  This should be addressed, the EMBY server should cache the Premier validation credentials for at least a few days and the Roku App should then work and not need to go out to the internet for Premiere validation.

Is there anyway I can get the Roku App connecting to the EMBY server (which I have connected to the Internet via Cell Phone hot spot) show Live TV without connecting all the Roku's to my Cell Phone hot spot?

Edited by FiberInternetUser

@@FiberInternetUser This is unfortunate. There is probably something that can be done here. Please bear with us while it is investigated. Thanks.

@@ebr This is something you would have to address. It should be possible to play LiveTV without internet for a brief time. What the brief time is isn't relevant. Just that it allows users to have interruption in their internet and still retain their premier benefits. This is why they became premier members. :)

Reference: Issue #257: LiveTV isn't cache premier status

Edited by speechles

FiberInternetUser

@@ebr This is something you would have to address.

How would I address it?  No problem ... It would be in a Client/Server model, that the Server is responsible for the validation and the clients should be not, such as the Roku App, FireTV and etc.

Thanks for checking into this.  I appreciate it.

Edited by FiberInternetUser

How would I address it?

not you kind sir. Thank you for purchasing premier. It is our fault you are without your LiveTV. The app is too aggressively trying to always verify benefits. It should cache these for an interim. Our chief bottle washer @@ebr will be able to assist you in this manner. I was just pinging him and giving him a heads up. I also left a reference number in this thread so we can follow up when we have a resolution. Until then I apologize you are without something you paid for and this is unfortunate. We want you to be happy. Please stay tuned.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

FiberInternetUser

As a follow up, after the Emby Server was connected to the Internet via my cell phone it must have updated caching credentials.  I disconnected the Emby Server from the internet  and I was able to view Live TV using the Web Browser on the server and Emby Theater on my computer.   Roku's devices when connected to the server show me how I can sign up and get Emby Premiere.

Okay, so the issue was the server had not validated, not the app.  Did the app also get an internet connection?

FiberInternetUser

The Roku box's were never connected to the internet.  The EMBY Roku app would connect to the server but LiveTV was not available.  I had my internet service restored today.  All Roku devices are back to normal.

Okay, that's what I thought.  The app does cache its Premiere check but the problem was your server was reporting no Premiere so that usurps anything the app would have.

Had the server not been run for a while before this happened?  Because it should be caching your Premiere status as well.