Mono version of Emby Server

tafelpoowt

tafelpoowt

I've created mono based Emby packages for some of the arm-based WD My Cloud devices based on the Synocommunity build chain.

WARNING: these are experimental packages. You may need SSH to fix stuff. Use at your own risk.

These are the supported devices:

- EX2

- EX2100

- EX4100

- EX2Ultra

- Mirror Gen 1 (use EX2 package)

- Mirror Gen2 (use EX2Ultra package)

If your device is not in this list, don't post in this topic (kktnxbye). Just contact WD on their forum.

e.g. the older v3 / v4 firmware devices, My Passport, My Cloud Home... are not supported.

The Emby package depends on 3 2 other packages:

- mono

- ffmpeg

- mediainfo

You need to install the 3 2 dependencies before you can install Emby.

If you face any issues during the installation, upgrade or removal of the package, the WD configure/enable/disable button, let me know here.

If you face other, purely Emby related issues, please start another topic.

Download: https://bintray.com/tfl/wdpksrc/Emby

Source code: https://github.com/stefaang/spksrc

Edited by tafelpoowt
  • Like 1

tafelpoowt

Ehhh that's the one platform I don't know anything about, sorry :rolleyes:

It doesn't use OS3 afaik, so I'm afraid, no.

Note: MyCloud Mirror Gen2 = EX2Ultra

Edited by tafelpoowt

iNSPiREDS

Can't wait to try this out!

I've downloaded the bin files mentioned above. How do I actually install them?

Through the My Cloud settings page, I don't see an option to install any apps.

Guest JaysEmby

Oooo this looks awesome as I got an old ex2 ultra in the loft as upgraded to the pr4100 but thinking of selling it as it's an overkill for the few films I watch :(

Be intrigued try this with the ex2 ultra if get time.. it was pretty slow with plex so wonder if emby will be quicker :)

Tafelpoowt do you know if wd fixed the poor fan kicking in late and the hdds would get silly hot with firmware update? Been ages since used the ex2 ultra

Thank you

tafelpoowt

Seems like I'd have to wipe the hard drive. What a shame. Still, thanks for your contribution. Maybe I'll try it one day.

You only need to enable a hidden tab in the web interface.

Browse to the WD web interface.

Open the console (ctrl-shift-I) (or use Inspect element)

Type in: APP_INSTALL_FUNCTION=1; APPS_EULA=1; check_app_eula();

Now go the Apps Tab and you'll be able to manually install 3rd party apps.

You don't need to install the WDcrack but it adds many more apps.

Edited by tafelpoowt

iNSPiREDS

You only need to enable a hidden tab in the web interface.

Browse to the WD web interface.

Open the console (ctrl-shift-I) (or use Inspect element)

Type in: APP_INSTALL_FUNCTION=1; APPS_EULA=1; check_app_eula();

Now go the Apps Tab and you'll be able to manually install 3rd party apps.

You don't need to install the WDcrack but it adds many more apps.

Oh I see! I'll give it a go as soon as I get home. Thanks again. :)

smazur

Hi tafelpoowt, I'm anxious to try this on my Ex2Ultra, but so far have not been able to get it to install.  I downloaded the corresponding files from the ffmpeg, mono and emby folders.  When I try to install mono or ffmpeg (from "Apps" tab -> "Install an app manually"), I get a window saying "Updating ..." followed by "Error: Failed to install app."

Any ideas?  I'm on the latest firmware 2.31.163

Matotea

Hi,

I can’t install ffmepg or mono too. I’ve got an error when manually installing both of this packages.

So i can’t test or try to use emby server yet.

I’m on Ex2 Ultra and firmware : 2.31.149.

( sry for my bad english, not my native language).

Thx tafelpoowt for trying to bring emby on Wd Nas Mycloud. I am so sick of plex....

tafelpoowt

TBH, I've only tested this with the x64 build on my PR4100, but I've carefully compared the package headers with other packages. I was fairly confident that it should've worked.

I finally have access to an EX2 Ultra device again so this evening I'll be able to reproduce the installation errors.

I suspect yet another package signature quirk ...

iNSPiREDS

Finally got around to check this out but the link in the original post is down. Does it work? Can you re-share please?

tafelpoowt

I found out I had hardcoded the product model ID byte in the xml to the PR4100, breaking the installation  :( ... I'll repackage today and bring up the new packages.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• Like 1

RobertCollier

hey Tafelpoowt, thank you for putting this pack together, this is super cool!

I've been trying to install this on my WD EX4 and all the installs worked without error, which is great. unfortunately when I try to access the emby port :8096 there is nothing there, emby isn't running in the processes and when I do netstat -tulpn nothing called emby or anything with the port 8096 shows up.

This might be something I've missed or not done. It'd be nice to get this working on my Ex4 if possible and thanks again for working on this =D 

tafelpoowt

Yeah sorry it's not finished yet... there are still some wrong paths in the start script and mono needs to refresh https certificates when installed.

If you have SSH access (and the 3 apps installed), you can start emby with this huge command

PATH=/usr/local/mono/bin:/usr/local/emby/bin:/usr/local/emby/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/emby/lib /usr/local/mono/bin/mono /usr/local/emby/share/emby/system/EmbyServer.exe -programdata /usr/local/emby/var -ffmpeg /usr/local/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/local/ffmpeg/bin/ffprobe

tafelpoowt

Aight... I think it's stable now. It runs without errors on my EX2Ultra.

If you tried any of the previous versions, remove them all and reboot your NAS to clear out all old symlinks. 

Ensure you don't have my Duplicati package installed as the mono installation is a bit different.

Then install the 3 packages (mono, ffmpeg and emby) from the opening post.

The packages have the DEBUG flag on, so install logs go to /tmp/emby_install.log and runtime logs go to /root/emby.log (and similar for the other apps).

If you face issues, please post your logs too.

Enjoy!

Edited by tafelpoowt

Matotea

Hi Tafelpoowt,

Ok, I'll definitively try it.

juste one more question, which version of emby must i download for my Ex2 UItra ? ( Sorry, I'm new to all this NAS-emby stuff). Do you have a download link ?

Thx!

RobertCollier

Hey Tafel, Thanks for the speedy update to the packages!

I tried your first suggestion to no avail getting an error : 

/usr/local/mono/bin/mono: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.12' not found (required by /usr/local/mono/bin/mono)

after uninstalling, restarting and installing mono again, I got the same error in the mono_install.log after a "successful" install 

I assume this is just a missing library that mono needs, but I dont have the know-how to be sure of that or to know how to fix it xD

thanks for all your help <3

NAS: EX4

Firmware: 2.11.178

incase that's any use for you =D