Sort within collections

dimitrik

dimitrik

Is there a way to sort videos within collections alphabetically in the server? I have some collections that have a mix of movies and tv series e.g. Star Trek.

MB3 shows the contents separated into movies and TV shows (which is good) but the movies and the tv shows are then in a more or less random sorting.

Is it possible to add the sort button that you have at the top level items inside collections as well?

dimitrik

Sorry I just realized this should be in Feature Requests. Could a kind Admin please move my post?

Danee

In my collections (only movies) they are ordered by year which seems very logical to me, in most cases this is the best way.

The only situation for me in which this is not desired is in the Star Wars collection, so some form of custom ordering within a collection is desired. I tried it with the Sort name field but that doesn't seem to be honored in the collections view.

Koleckai Silvestri

My collections are also sorted by release year. I find this to be the most appropriate the majority of time.

FrostByte

Agree by year is best almost all the time, the only exception that I would like to see is on prequels.  It would be nice to force them to go to the front on collections such as Matrix, Star Wars, and Underworld, etc

blade005

Is there a way to sort videos within collections alphabetically in the server? I have some collections that have a mix of movies and tv series e.g. Star Trek.

MB3 shows the contents separated into movies and TV shows (which is good) but the movies and the tv shows are then in a more or less random sorting.

Is it possible to add the sort button that you have at the top level items inside collections as well?

dimitrik,

There is a field in Collections for DISPLAY SETTINGS in the WebUI.  There is the option to display by SORT NAME or RELEASE YEAR.  By default I believe it is set to RELEASE YEAR, but if you want another order then select SORT NAME and change the sort name for each movie to the order you desire. (i.e. 001 - movie title)

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

dimitrik,

There is a field in Collections for DISPLAY SETTINGS in the WebUI.  There is the option to display by SORT NAME or RELEASE YEAR.  By default I believe it is set to RELEASE YEAR, but if you want another order then select SORT NAME and change the sort name for each movie to the order you desire. (i.e. 001 - movie title)

Hadn't seen that. Good find though. Thanks.

FrostByte

The sort name doesn't just change the sort order in the collections though. It also changes the way it sorts in other areas.

Edited by FrostByte

blade005

The sort name doesn't just change the sort order in the collections though. It also changes the way it sorts in other areas.

That could be. I have it set for items in a collection to roll up under the Collection Name and only have the collection folder show. I still try to apply a SORT NAME that makes sense if it would show up somewhere else in a sort. (i.e. Star Wars 001-01; Star Wars 002-01 etc.)  I try not to lead with numbers as that could get messy trying to figure it out for some sorts.

Edited by blade005
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Ya, for Star Wars and some others that would probably work.  For Animatrix I don't think I would want to move it from the A's to the M's by using something like Matrix 001. 

Koleckai Silvestri

Ya, for Star Wars and some others that would probably work.  For Animatrix I don't think I would want to move it from the A's to the M's by using something like Matrix 001. 

I've done that already myself... Have to make compromises at times.

Deathsquirrel

Make a Matrix Collection boxset, add all 4 movies to the boxset, sort by year or use the sort name to establish any arbitrary sort order.  Should address the issue.

FrostByte

Ya, but changing the sort name also changes the sort order when looking at them not in a collection.  In other words Animatrix moves from the As to the Ms when not viewing the collection if you changed its sort name to Matrix 001.  Like LW mentioned sometimes you have to make sacrifices though.

dimitrik

My collections are also sorted by release year. I find this to be the most appropriate the majority of time.

That's only useful for collections where year is the distinguishing feature. But if I have a collection called "Hitchcock" or another called "Adventure", Year really doesn't help me.

True I could find a Hitchcock movie and click on his name to see all movies directed by him but that's (a) more roundabout and (B) I have to remember a title and search by genre or something. It's a pain.

For that matter it really doesn't help with a collection like Star Trek, where year is totally misleading in terms of story ordering.

dimitrik,

Yes, I know about that, and do use it - for small collections. But some of my collections have 50 or more movies and I add stuff to them all the time. I can't go and renumber all of them just to get a plain alphabetical sorting.

Danee

When set to Sort Name and no Sort Name is available it seems to sort on the name field alphabetical isn't that what you want?

FrostByte

On prequels alphabetic does not necessarily work and the year definitely doesn't.  Changing the sort name screws up how you see it when displaying all movies.  It would be nice if there was a way to manipulate sorting that only works in collections, or just live it and if you have a small collection it probably isn't that bad until the collection gets big.

Koleckai Silvestri

For Star Trek, I have three collections based on the collections at tmdb.org. These are Star Trek: Original Series, Star Trek: Next Generation, and Star Trek: Alternate Reality. The collections are sorted as Star Trek 1, 2, 3 respectively and include movies, specials and television series.

Not a huge fan of Star Wars so order by year is good enough. Do need more control over my Marvel Universe collection though. It has close to 60 items in it.

For my users, except Admin, they see the collections as collapsed and inline with everything else. It doesn't matter what the sort name is because they will only see it by entering the collection.

Edited by Wayne Luke

FrostByte

If you could drag and drop them in the order you wanted that would be cool :)

• Like 2

Danee

If you could drag and drop them in the order you wanted that would be cool :)

That would definetly be good for everybodys needs!

Edited by Danee

Koleckai Silvestri

Drag and drop would be interesting. Would need info added to either the database or collection.xml files.

AndyBaines

I've just stumble across this thread after trying how to order the Fast & Furious movies and shorts in the collections section...

I manually changed the order and added the shorts in the collection.xml and locked it with the lockdata tag, the shorts turned up but they are all in release order which isn't correct and if you arrange by name then it's even worse.

I tried removing the "year" tags from the collection.xml but it doesn't seem to have had any impact on the display order while in the collection.

I would image this manual edit/lock process would be the easiest way to enable a custom sort order in collections rather then anything fancy, I can't imagine it being needed too often..? But I'm neither experienced in coding or "MediaBrowser'in"..! ;)

• 1 year later...
AdamJD75

I have a similar problem. I've created a collection called Marvel Universe. I want to order the Marvel movies in the MCU chronologically. But I want them the remain in their proper althabetical position in the Movies view. Maybe a feature request?

• Like 1