Short "stutters" in transcoded Live TV only in the Emby App

jacotec

Hi,

I see a slight issue which occurs only when watching Live-TV with active transcoding in the IOS apps (tested on several iDevices). It has been there forever, but it annoys me ... so I want to discuss this here.

Current versions:

Server: 4.1.0.10

IOS-App: 1.7.6 (4)

These are the up-to-date betas, but as mentioned this behavior is there forever ... it's the same in the release version, it has been there in Emby 3.5 ... and I only see it when these preconditions are met:

• It happens only with Live TV (Emby gets the stream via Embedded Live TV / m3u from a TVHeadend server)
  • It happens only when the Live TV is transcoded (i.e. to 4 MBit/s 720p)
  • It happens only when watched in the IOS app.

It does NOT happen when it's watched via direct stream in the IOS app. It does also NOT happen if the same content is being watched on the same IOS device with the same transcoding settings via the same WiFi connection but in Safari!

It also does NOT happen in the Emby app with active transcoding when the source is not Live TV like a movie or even pre-recorded TV content (I store the TVHeadend recordings in a folder where Emby has access to).

So all points to the Emby IOS app itself, not to the server, to transcoding power or the IP/WiFi connection between the server and the iDevice.

The issue itself is: When playing transcoded live TV to an IOS app, the playback "stops" every few seconds for a quite short, but noticeable time (I'd say below 500ms). These "stutters" are annoying, so I'm watching live TV on the road with my iPad only in the browser and not in the app (which is not that comfortable).

If you need server logs I'll be happy to PM these to you (although I'm not sure these will help as they don't look different when playing in a browser on the same device where the issue does not happen). Finally I hope you'll see the same with a similar setup and you'll be able to reproduce this within the dev environment.

Let me know if I can support you with anything else here.

Marco

• 2 weeks later...
jacotec

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Hi @@Luke ... sorry, I did not get a notification email on your reply. What will help? It's only live TV, so I can't upload a media file. Will the server and transcode log help? In this case I can PN you a link.