Thoughts On The Best Emby App And Best Streaming Device Please!

Gaz

Hi guys, would really appreciate some advice please from all you knowledable sorts! :)

Ideally I'd really like to know what version of the Emby app is considered by the devs and all you end users to be the nicest looking version that you think is the most polished product so to speak?

Basically I need a new streaming box for my living room. I have no idea what is considered 'the best' streaming media device in 2019 and my only requirements are that it must have a wired network port and not be a HTPC (small enough to hide away to keep the wife happy!).

I've been using a Roku 3 in my bedroom for a number of years but Roku only sell 2 products now and they are both WI-FI streaming sticks (at least here in the UK) I purchased one and had to return it as the WI-FI signal was terrible and I really want to use a CAT6 cable to ensure the quality is the best.

I've only ever used the Roku so have no idea what Emby is like on say any of the Amazon streaming devices and I have absolutely no idea about what is involved is setting up and configuring a Kodi or Android box so please treat me gently with your responses :)

Just after a streaming box I can buy online and then download Emby onto it and enjoy the best possible Emby experience! :)

Sincere thanks in advance and I'm really hoping you can please help me in achieving my goal of having the best version of Emby on my TV soon!

Cheers :)

Edited by Gaz

Sorry Luke, I don't follow. I was asking what hardware you would recommend if you wanted the best Emby experience?

I can't use a Roku anymore so was after your thoughts on the best way to go.

Which of the stock Emby Apps would you say was the most visually appealing version as I really want the best Emby experience!

Edited by Gaz

Probably nvidia shield but i have deployed roku sticks in environments with weak wifi signals and it's been fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Hard to justify the cost of the Nvidia Shield if I just want to use Emby on it.

If I wanted to game on it then fair enough but £200 seems a bit steep just to use the Emby app.

Can I just confirm if you're saying that the Nvidia Shield version of Emby looks the best or you saying that the Nvidia Shield is the best home streaming media device?

Any other opinions guys?

Spaceboy

Why are you paying £200? I paid £125 for one before Christmas. Also with retroarch and a ps3 controller you get yourself an exceptional emulator on which you can play anything up to and including wii games

Spaceboy

Thanks for the replies.

Hard to justify the cost of the Nvidia Shield if I just want to use Emby on it.

If I wanted to game on it then fair enough but £200 seems a bit steep just to use the Emby app.

Can I just confirm if you're saying that the Nvidia Shield version of Emby looks the best or you saying that the Nvidia Shield is the best home streaming media device?

Any other opinions guys?

its the best because it’s the most compatible, had the most power, is regularly updated by nvidia. The ATV app is great on any android device but the shield is worth the outlay. Rather than posting here about issues, you’ll be happily watching stuff. Priceless imo
  • Like 1

maegibbons

Nvidia shield is THE box to have if you want the best experience.

I have LITERALLY tried them all.

The MI Box 3 is a cheaper 2nd place offering but it does have some issues and NO ethernet.

Save yourself a lot of frustration and pony up for the shield!

Krs

Mark

• Like 2

Why are you paying £200? I paid £125 for one before Christmas. Also with retroarch and a ps3 controller you get yourself an exceptional emulator on which you can play anything up to and including wii games

I wanted to go and pick one up today but Currys PC World want £189 as do Amazon UK if I wanted next day delivery :(

I hear what you're saying guys, I guess I only wanted to install Emby on it and therefore expected under £100 as I hadn't considered using it for other features like emulation, as that's when I'd of expected to pay a lot more for a streaming box which such extra functionality.

I read that you can stream PC games to the Shield also. Does it only support specific PC games via an online system like Steam or something as I wasn't sure how you add PC games to your library etc. I have an Nvidia GTX 1080TI video card.

Being able to play old arcade games via the MAME app might be useful too, just got to see if I can find it with the controller for less than £190 now!

Edited by Gaz

Spaceboy

I wanted to go and pick one up today but Currys PC World want £189 as do Amazon UK if I wanted next day delivery :(

I read that you can stream PC games to it also. Does it only support specific PC games via an online system like Steam or something as I wasn't sure how you add PC games to your library etc. I have an Nvidia GTX 1080TI video card.

Being able to play old arcade games via the MAME app might be useful too, just got to see if I can find it with the controller for less than £190 now!

yeah it went down to £129 over Black Friday weekend and was also at £140 in the run up to Christmas. You could wait for a return to those prices but I’d still consider it value at £180.

I did look at the nvidia game streaming but I tend to have more console than pc games so my focus is there. I think you can stream any pc game as long as you have an nvidia graphics card and enough power to play the game on your pc.

Personally I would just get it with the remote and use a ps3 controller. The nvidia game controller is ok but not my preference and it’s dead easy to add any Bluetooth compatible controller

• Like 1

mastrmind11

i have 3 shields and a mi box, solely for Emby.  if you want a set it and forget it environment,  they're your best bet.

Coxeroni

You get what you pay for. You can also go for a Raspberry Pi with Kodi or any cheap chinese Android box or any FireTV something. They might work, but they probably give you headaches instead.

If you don't require advanced audio codecs (DTS HD, TrueHD, etc.) the Mi could be a good compromise.  Not as fast but it runs the same Emby app as the Shield.

clarkss12

If your needs are basic, as Ebr says, several of those inexpensive Android boxes running a modded version of the Android TV OS will function very well for Emby.  But you will ONLY get DD and DTS, and no automatic frame rate changing.  Also, most of these inexpensive boxes do not play any videos encoded with VC-1 very well, however, they do play HEVC And AVC video very well, even high bitrate videos.  

So, if your needs are very, very basic, one of these sub $60 USD boxes CAN work, for Emby.

Edit: Right now, I am watching "Back to the Future" Blue-ray rip on my Mecool KM8 ($55.99 USD), and it is playing perfectly, but is being transcoded by my server.  The audio is DTS-HD Master Audio, but since this box does NOT support HD audio formats, they have to be transcoded.

I am using a very low powered, low cost, fanless, microPC running Windows 10 for my Emby server.  So, IMHO, this device is very usable for people with basic needs and are on a budget.

Back to the Future Meidainfo.txt

post-38990-0-28895100-1551287208_thumb.jpg

Also, Live TV with interlaced videos, play well also.

Edited by clarkss12
  • Like 1

Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I know nothing about these other boxes so I'm going to take a guess that the 'Mi Box' that was mentioned is the Xiaomi Mi box? Pretty sure after some brief research and as mentioned above by @@maegibbons that the Mi box is WI-FI only with no ethernet port?

I'm going to settle on the Nvidia Shield as that seems to be the overwhelming choice by you knowledgable guys.

When I plug it in do I simply navigate to the 'App Store' and chose Emby or is it a little more complicated than that?

If I understand correctly then the Nvidia Shield needs the 'Android TV' version of Emby? Does that mean that this device will also let me play the same Andoid games that are available on the Google Play store that you see on mobile phones etc?

Trying to understand 100% as this is all very new to me.

Big thanks again to you all, your time and help is very much appreciated :)

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I know nothing about these other boxes so I'm going to take a guess that the 'Mi Box' that was mentioned is the Xiaomi Mi box? Pretty sure after some brief research and as mentioned above by @@maegibbons that the Mi box is WI-FI only with no ethernet port?

I'm going to settle on the Nvidia Shield as that seems to be the overwhelming choice by you knowledgable guys.

When I plug it in do I simply navigate to the 'App Store' and chose Emby or is it a little more complicated than that?

If I understand correctly then the Nvidia Shield needs the 'Android TV' version of Emby? Does that mean that this device will also let me play the same Andoid games that are available on the Google Play store that you see on mobile phones etc?

Trying to understand 100% as this is all very new to me.

Big thanks again to you all, your time and help is very much appreciated :)

Yes, Xiamoi Mi Box (from Walmart).  You can get a USB ethernet dongle if you require a hard line (the dongles work great, btw).

Yes, AndroidTV version, though you won't have a choice since it's the only version in the app store if you go there from the shield.

Depends on whether the game supports ATV, some do, but certainly not all.  There are also some very good games made solely for ATV.

Have fun!

• Like 1

legallink

Me and mine are apple tv fans.  I haven't used the Nvidia Shield, although I hear that is the best and most compatible.  But for WAF, it's tough to beat the Apple TV despite the dastardly remotes desire to always play hide and seek.

BAlGaInTl

Your Roku 3 also has WiFi right?

Why not try using what you have and disconnecting the hardwired connection temporarily to see how the WiFi performs in your environment.

You may be fine as @@Luke pointed out.

If so, you can go with a cheaper option.

But to answer your question... Nvidia Shield. :) It's by far my favorite streamer outside of my desktop computer. The Mi is also good, and as it was pointed out, you can use a USB ethernet adapter on it if needed. The Mi + adapter is probably cheaper than the Shield. And again, you could always try it first.

maegibbons

Go for the shield!!

Anything other than the shield you MAY regret.

You WONT regret getting a shield.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 2

Spaceboy

I have an Apple TV too, but it’s in the cupboard. I just found it all so slow in comparison to the shield. I know they’ve done a lot of work on that lately though

jasonmcroy

3 Shields here as well. One of them is the newer small version for traveling.

Yes, price is higher but worth it.

maegibbons

Only Downside to Shield is using a NAS as a DVR folder. So far haven't got that to work. Can't use Google Drive as a source either unless you use ocamlfuse on a networked Linux Box and Mount the shares.

But...Shield is awesome!

This was about using it as a client not a server.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1