mkv files and some mp4 files seen as mpg

isamudysan
Go to solution Solved by serpi,

isamudysan

put together a new freenas (11.2)...installed emby...and, everyting is working fine except for majority (approx. 98%) of my mkv files being seen and played back as mpg files. along with the mkv files, not all, but some of my mp4 files are being treated/seen as mpg files.  now playing videos via the webapp is fine, and it's not my concern.  however, playing thru DLNA is a different story.

any ideas as what i can do to alleviate this issue.  i mean, i had it on my old build, too, but never really tried to solve this problem. now, i need to because the samsung emby is giving me an error (this will be another post so i'm not gonna focus it on here).

i have an anime file: [FFF] Hagure Yuusha no Estetica - 01 [bD][1080p-FLAC][73F7748E].mkv. when i look and play this file on my samsung tv, it sees it as an mpg file; and, i assume, emby transcode it as such to the tv.

any help and reply is greatly appreciated. thank you!

Hi, it's because the server is transcoding the file because it thinks the TV can't direct play it. Are you saying that it should direct play?

isamudysan

hi luke, thanks for the reply.  to answer your question, yes, it should be able to direct play per the supported video codecs for my samsung ku7500 unless i have a misunderstanding of direct play, lol.

5c73dbdc01bc1_tv_codecs.png

does a setting need to be changed the dlna profile: direct play, transcoding, containers, codecs?

thanks.

isamudysan

on the attachment in post #3, the audio codecs are listed on the far right...as for my profile listing, screen shot is below:

5c74b834b4f96_codecs.png

Does the TV actually support flac inside an mkv? Even if it plays flac audio files that doesn't mean it will play flac within video files.

isamudysan

i don't see it listed in the audio codecs above, but i this anime series was played thru dlna as a mkv video. so, in order for direct play to play the video as is everything match with what the tv is capable of playing back? if that's the case, then i would understand completely. however, i'm baffled with this other file:

5c77337cd460e_20190227_170114.jpg

5c773398486a2_Screenshot02_27_20194_59_0

luke, i greatly appreciate your help in helping me to understand all this.

Does the TV support .ASS subtitles? That is probably why it has to transcode.

isamudysan

hi luke.  yes, .ASS subs are supported.  i'm trying to remember what i did a few years back to get these to direct play correctly.  i created a new profile, but with same result. do you know where the xml file is located in freenas?

Ok, our Samsung dlna profiles do not include .ASS subs so that is why it is transcoding. We can adjust this for the next release so that it will direct play. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
isamudysan

just need clarification as to what the difference between these two files with regards to codecs as my samsung tv. sees one file as mp4 and the other as mpg...below are the media info from emby and my pc.

mp4 as seen from my samsung tv:

5c93e4697744f_info_mp4.png

5c93e47d8f41a_mediainfo_mp4.png

as seen as mpg from samsung tv:

5c93e48f68e8c_info_mpg.png

5c93e49b55779_mediainfo_mpg.png

thx!

• Solution
serpi

Well, I see the second file is mp42 (High@L4.2), while the first is mp41 (High@L4.1).

Looking at the Samsung video specs, it says: H.264 FHD: Level 4.1 supported (FMO/ASO/RS not supported)

So, I would think, this could be the reason, why transcoding of the video is needed.

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 2

isamudysan

Well, I see the second file is mp42 (High@L4.2), while the first is mp41 (High@L4.1).

Looking at the Samsung video specs, it says: H.264 FHD: Level 4.1 supported (FMO/ASO/RS not supported)

So, I would think, this could be the reason, why transcoding of the video is needed.

Ciao, Alfred

thanks, alfred, for your reply. the thing is both file was seen by my samsung tv as mp4 on my old freenas 9.x. i put together a new nas with new hardware, and after installing 11.2 some of my mp4 vids are being seen as mpg.  yeah, just not sure what else i need to do to have these mp42 format profile to be seen as mp4. i greatly appreciate your time and response :)

isamudysan

thanks luke for chiming in. please correct me if i'm wrong, but emby will transcode only if the target (samsumg tv) is unable to support the video format, correct? i remember reading something along that line somewhere.  is there anyway to change that transcoding format?

also, not sure if i solved some of my video format problems or not, but i changed the mpeg4 codec VideoLevel value from "40" to "51" in my profile's xml file. doing that and restarting emby, some of the mp4 that were seen as mpg are now seen as their orginal mp4 format.

but emby will transcode only if the target (samsumg tv) is unable to support the video format, correct? 

Yes that is correct.