Photo

Does Emby handle 4k HDR video better than Plex on Xbox One X?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swanlee OFFLINE  

swanlee

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 PM

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

So been a Plex users for a long time however Plex has had  issues with 4K HDR playback on Xbox console for probably 1.5 years. Plex says it's MS fault and MS says it's a Plex issue. Suffice to say this issue with Plex, Xbox and 4K HDR video is probably never getting fixed. The issues pretty much are 4K HDR video with True HD or DTS encoded audio will start buffering after a few mins and it never recovers or other buffering issues during playback. Basically if you run plex and are trying to stream 4k HDR videos 90% chance you are going to get so much buffering during playback you won't be able to watch it.

As time goes on I'm acquiring more 4k HDR videos so this is becoming a bigger issue. I would switch if someone could tell me if the Xbox version of Emby handles this better? I have the network bandwidth and have a really powerful windows server that will act as my Emby server, I should have no problems streaming even the most demanding videos.

Edited by swanlee, 24 February 2019 - 05:33 PM.

#2 FrostByte OFFLINE  

FrostByte

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 5062 posts
  • LocationThe UP

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:03 PM

I think you will find that the Emby Xbox app will have similar results.  Luke mentions plans for a custom player to get around some of the problems from the default video player

https://emby.media/c...y-or-hdr/page-1

#3 swanlee OFFLINE  

swanlee

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:36 PM

Does not sound very encouraging for Emby either, I'll keep an eye but just seems the Xbox is doomed when it comes to 4k HDR

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156918 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:39 PM

The problem on the Xbox is that some of these high end features you want are not available to all app developers to utilize

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users