4K HDR playback not working.

F074

Guest asrequested

Based on what Akemi is saying, it looks like Apple has very limited support for it, and the implementation could be problematic.

Yeah, he said the pull was not really meant to be merged but, rather, just to start a discussion (which didn't really happen it looks like).

Guest asrequested

Not 100% sure what you mean but tvOS and MacOS are entirely different animals...

Ah, ok, I wondered about that. So you can't use that build for tvOS. Ya gotta love the nibbled fruit :/

• 1 month later...
Senna

Is there already a HDR-Support on the Roadmap for ATV 4K?

It's already on Emby's roadmap:

We are looking into it, thanks

We are working on this, thanks.

... but AS ALWAYS with company roadmaps, it doesn't tell us anything, when items of that roadmap, get implemented, which is a normal thing :rolleyes:

Follow this, to keep you partly informed about the progress with the Emby Apple TV app, regarding HDR support.

@@ebnerjoh I've merged your topic into here as the discussion is the same. Senna is doing a great job tracking open issues. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
jaseinny

Why is there still no support for HDR or Dolby vision on Emby for TvOS on Apple TV? The Apple TV can do it with Plex. I'm frustrated that I have to use a Fire stick to watch my movies.

The Android app over all is far far superior to TvOS. Does Emby even bother to keep developing for TvOS? A few little updates here and there, but, for example, the TV/DVR Guide on Android is far superior as well as little things like clicking up when watching a film/tv show on Android is so good at adjusting settings on the fly. Even the "stats for nerds" is missing on TvOS. To be honest, the list goes on and on.

There is so much more functionality on the Android platform compared to Apple's Emby App. A bit of "swiping" development for Apple TV's remote would be appreciated. 

I'm trying to move completely away from Plex as I really do like Emby over Plex as Emby is far superior with almost everything except not supporting HDR/Dolby Vision, removing commercials.  With Emby's positives, the speed of starting streams, speed of moving through the timeline and the interface is intelligent along with their amazing metadata manager. I love it!

Unfortunately Emby for TvOS totally sucks right now. Please put some resources into developing for TvOS.

Edited by jaseinny
  • Like 5

sfatula

Based on what Akemi is saying, it looks like Apple has very limited support for it, and the implementation could be problematic.

But it was speaking of MacOS, not Apple TV?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Emby for TvOS totally sucks right now. Please put some resources into developing for TvOS.

Most of us share your opinion, but unfortunately nothing we can do about it to speed things up.

For now, stick to other apps/clients, like Infuse, MrMC and PLEX, until a new Emby beta is out, hopefully fixing those long outstanding issues :rolleyes:

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
vdatanet

Just curious - is HDR playback still not available for AppleTV or has this been resolved?

Only available using mp4 container in latest beta (using native player), but most videos freeze.

• 2 weeks later...
vdatanet

need apple tv hdr playback plss

Specifically we need hevc direct streaming using mkv container.

vdatanet

Do you have any strategy in mind to support mkv hevc direct streaming using apple tv native player?

Do you have any strategy in mind to support mkv hevc direct streaming using apple tv native player?

I thought we'd already discussed this.  It isn't something we just "turn on".  It is a major change to the entire infrastructure of how we stream items.  It will be a large implementation effort to do this.  It is on our list.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
vdatanet
On 4/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, vdatanet said:

Only available using mp4 container in latest beta (using native player), but most videos freeze.

Preliminar testing with tvOS 14 release:

MP4 high bitrate content plays without freezing. It used to freeze every 2-3 minutes. Watching a movie (HEVC 4K HDR 70 Mbps) at 1h 2 min, still not freezing. Maybe we have a tvOS improvement here. I will do more testing and I will report back later.

I encourage other users to give it a try.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet
5 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Preliminar testing with tvOS 14 release:

MP4 high bitrate content plays without freezing. It used to freeze every 2-3 minutes. Watching a movie (HEVC 4K HDR 70 Mbps) at 1h 2 min, still not freezing. Maybe we have a tvOS improvement here. I will do more testing and I will report back later.

I encourage other users to give it a try.

Two early, one movie unwatchable now does not freeze, but most freeze, even worse as before. 😔

sross44

As much as I love Emby, it's why I connected Emby to Infuse on Apple TV to play all files. Great support of HDR and I have yet to have one movie freeze or buffer on me. I know this is truly a work around until Emby offers native HDR support for the Apple TV, but it does work very well. 

I understand that it's a major overhaul to get this in, but it is something that a lot of people want as everyone's 4k/HDR libraries are growing. 

• Like 3