No gear icon (for aspect ration adjustment) when playing sync'd media

silkz

Please see screengrab here: https://imgur.com/l11MebZ

Its no problem when I am local streaming or streaming over a VPN to my LAN, the gear icon is there and i can make aspect ratio adjustments fine. However for all sync'd/downloaded media there is no gear icon. This is on a Galaxy Note 9 (Oreo 8.1), my nephew's Xiaomi Mi Max 3 and my Girlfriends Galaxy S9+ (also Oreo 8.1).

Thanks!

Edited by silkz

• 2 months later...
hshah

Not sure if this is related but when I'm casting to Google ChromeCast, should all the controls (namely the ability to change quality) be adjustable? I see buttons for the basic play, pause, forwards, backwards etc. but nothing else.

Not all of them, but there is a Chromecast quality setting in the app settings.

hshah

Not all of them, but there is a Chromecast quality setting in the app settings.

Any particular reason for it being separate, rather than just the settings button you usually see and have the option to select the bitrate? I could be missing something blatant here but why not keep everything static and just "move" the video?

Below are views when watching something on the phone and then after it has been cast, at which point the phone becomes a remote control of sorts. However, I have lost:

Fast Forward

Rewind

Stats

Aspect Ratio

Subtitled

Quality

Playback Settings

post-284361-0-65302800-1557980947_thumb.png

post-284361-0-10895900-1557980961_thumb.png

@@Luke, if the quality setting is available under the app's playback options then one would expect the other missing items to be available there as well. Also, in order for it to be remotely feasible/viable, any change to that setting needs should take affect immediately. I can't test it right this minute because my previous test actually resulted in the ChromeCast freezing and now it won't let me connect, but I have a feeling that it won't. Do I need to stop the stream, apply the setting and then restart it? If so, that would just be a chore because there is no feature to resume playback from where it left off.

How would I go about setting subtitles? In what manner would the forward and back buttons be used? Fast forward and rewind would make more sense.

I'm genuinely curious as to why you would deviate from a consistent design which would only benefit future development whilst being user friendly at the same time, and opt for the opposite and losing key functionality in the process.

We'll add the features for downloaded content in a future update. Thanks for the feedback.

hshah

We'll add the features for downloaded content in a future update. Thanks for the feedback.

Was that a reply to me or @@silkz?  If it was to me, when what do you exactly mean by "downloaded content"?

The gear icon for downloaded media will be in the next update to the app. Thanks !

• Like 2

hshah

The gear icon for downloaded media will be in the next update to the app. Thanks !

Sweet! :D

Any reason why it would only be for downloaded media and not include live streams?  Also, are you just adding the one button or standardising the UI and including the fast-forward and rewind buttons too?

silkz

Thanks Luke, I've been waiitng for this.Thank you!

hshah

It will be there for all videos.

Are we just talking about just the gear icon, and none of the others (fast-forward, rewind etc)?

Try rotating the device to landscape and then more buttons will be visible due to the extra space available.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry this topic is about the gear icon for aspect ratio adjustment when playing synced media. That's what I was responding to.

hshah

Sorry this topic is about the gear icon for aspect ratio adjustment when playing synced media. That's what I was responding to.

Oh, I assumed that your "all videos" comment was to my question in post 10, asking if it applied to both downloaded and live streams.

I'll will create a separate thread for the other issues with the Android application. Good work on the swipe to close by the way... that alone solves multiple issues