Emby and Voice Search

72Cutlass
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

72Cutlass

Google assistant on Shield tv never shows me anything in my Emby library,  if I use a voice command like John wick or whatever movie, it shows watch youtube trailer or Netflix, or Google play, but not emby...the emby app is on my screen for "suggested for me", but how to get it to look at my library via the voice search?

72Cutlass

Hi. You may need to enable it in the device settings.

In what settings? Ive looked in google home for a link button and is just aint there.

72Cutlass

Thanks, that worked, would have never thought to look there lol...emby is not on by default but plex is for some reason lol....thanks again ebr

• 1 year later...

Not working on my shield i looked at the seeting searchable apps and nothing is thete so my question is this still in beta and not out on the stable app

Not working on my shield i looked at the seeting searchable apps and nothing is thete so my question is this still in beta and not out on the stable app

Hi there, did you check out the link that ebr provided?

I did Luke I went into the shield settings, device preferences, Google assistant, searchable apps and nothing is there not the emby app or any app for that matter... I just got this shield TV it's the 2019 tube so not sure what's going on that's why I asked if it was not released and still in beta

Also emby app on the shield TV shows

Media Server 4.3.1.0

Version 1.7.78g

I don't know if this helps maybe I need an app update

I did Luke I went into the shield settings, device preferences, Google assistant, searchable apps and nothing is there not the emby app or any app for that matter... I just got this shield TV it's the 2019 tube so not sure what's going on that's why I asked if it was not released and still in beta

This sounds like you've disabled Google Assistant (or voice input) on the entire device.

It is in the released app.

• 9 months later...

Hi

I am able to do the voice search for movies but not for tv shows. For example if I say "Brooklyn 99" I only get Netflix as a result. I saw that you can't search for episode, but is it possible to be able to search for tv shows and juay let it default to lets say season 1 episode 1?

2 hours ago, ebr said:

TV Shows are working for me...

image.png

Hmm ok, do you know why it doesn't work for  me? I'm using a Nvidia shield that I just bought today

Right.  Okay, that is related to the specific search.  If you search for something that returns a single result - you'll get a screen like I did.  If you search for something that has multiple results, then you get the more expanded view with all the results.

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Right.  Okay, that is related to the specific search.  If you search for something that returns a single result - you'll get a screen like I did.  If you search for something that has multiple results, then you get the more expanded view with all the results.

OK, either way it works fine. Thanks for the help! 😊

• 4 weeks later...
keitpark

Voice search works partially for me with Emby on my Shield TV. I have Emby enabled as a searchable app. However, only some of the movies I have display in the "Available On" results. Anyone have an idea what the issue might be?

21 hours ago, keitpark said:

Voice search works partially for me with Emby on my Shield TV. I have Emby enabled as a searchable app. However, only some of the movies I have display in the "Available On" results. Anyone have an idea what the issue might be?

If you execute the same search from within Emby, do you get different results?

• 2 weeks later...
keitpark

Did a bit of checking and movies that seem to have issues are:

Star Wars movies - for example, The Empire Strikes Back. It looks like it wants Star Wars in the name. On a search Disney Plus shows up but not Emby. A search within Emby does work.

Movies with or without punctuation - for example, Heathers. Disney Plus shows up but not on Emby. This search looks for Heather's. Amazon comes up finding Heathers. If I correct the search to Heathers Emby still does not come up. In Emby Heather's is the search term that comes up, but I have to correct it to find the movie within Emby search. Other somewhat similar examples is Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Although when I tried it a second time, it worked.

Finally movies with numbers in the name - for example, Gone in 60 Seconds. The search comes up with 60 not sixty. Amazon and Google come up with results. Emby has the move listed as sixty so I need that exact wording to locate in Emby.

Seems as though other sources seem to be able to handle these types of scenarios but not Emby.

Those seem to be the main instances I can find. Sorry for the delay in responding, was a bit busy with things.

The same search routines are being used inside Emby and with this feature.  Google just calls us to do a search and then we return results.  What they do with those results (like possibly ignore them) we cannot control unfortunately.

As for some of the things like 60 vs sixty are just levels of sophistication with search in general.