Is it possible to transcode and also resize

Yrosma

I have some 4K material which is hevc encoded. Now this can't not be directly played on all devices it gets watched on so sometimes it needs to be transcoded. I have transcoding working nicely on my nas, 4K is a bit much though unless I use quality settings that decrease the quality significantly. Rather than having to decrease the quality too much I would rather decrease the resolution of the the material, so reduce it to 1080p instead leaving it on 4K.

Even though I have found some settings where I could limit settnigs e.g. did try limitinig the device/user to 1080p with a certain bandwith when playing it the file it still played on 4K so the 1080p setting didn't seem to be enforced. I was testing this using the webbrowser on my PC so hevc will be transcoded but my pc is capabable of the 4K resolution. Not even sure if emby will look at those things.

So is it possible to force 4K material when it needs to be transcoded to be also resized to 1080p.

If this is already possible how can I realize this? As currently I wasn't able to figure this out.

Yes this currently does work just fine.  Just select 1080p in the player.

Keep in mind however that if these are HDR/UHD 4K files they aren't going to transcode properly to 1080p.  The transcoder does not handle HDR to SDR.  Right now the best policy is to always have a 1080p version along with the 4K version so that the 1080p can be used if needed rather then trying to transcode 4K.

That is what I also thought so did try that before. But that wasn't working for me. I tried that on my PC in the web browser and there transcoding was still done to 4K. I will try it again, did try this on an older emby release think 3.5.2 while I have now migrated to 4.0.2. And maybe I did something wrong. Will check it again.

About the HDR to SDR. Is it something that is in the planning?

I'm currently doing that myself for some files, but always requires a bit of tweaking of the settings. But also converting some 4K HDR to just 1080p HDR. For some material the 4K doesn't add as much as the HDR, ok probably for most content :)