Trying to decide on QNAP TS-453Be vs. Synology DS418play - any thoughts?

The Greens

The Greens

Hi!  With the structure of the forums, it looks like I have to post this in two places...

My current Emby server is running on WHS 2011.  I actually love it, but Microsoft is making it harder and harder to run old product.  When it eventually dies, it will be near impossible to get replacement hardware.  Because of that, I have decided to move to a NAS solution.  After looking at every online source available to me,  I have narrowed it down to two contenders, 

• QNAP TS-453Be - much better external connectivity and expansion capability, but it seems that a lot of people have trouble running Emby server on QNAP.
  • Synology DS418play - generally, it looks like Emby runs better on Synology, but this unit lacks the extra external capability and expansion port.

Price is mostly equivalent and not my primary concern - I'd much rather have a stably systems that performs well.  There is one other complicating factor.  Ultimately, I want to use Emby TV with the HDHomerun Prime 6 and replace my Windows 7 Media Server DVR capability (which I love).  As far as I can tell, I should work equally well with either solution.

So, any thoughts?  Is anyone out there running this config?  Do we have a place for people to post their setups for reference?  If so, I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
FrostByte

I do have a DS418play.  Love it and the OS for Synology is great.  However, I don't have a HDHomeRun or do any type of recording or LiveTV.  I only host my media and run Emby server and Surveillance station for my IP cameras (which feeds into Emby).   

FrostByte

I have outdoor POE IP cameras connected to a 802.11ac wifi extender monitoring our barn for predators, etc.  Then Surveillance center records any activity (which is a lot with animals) and places them in a shared Emby library which I can watch.

robgfaulkner

I have a TS-453 Pro and running emby 4.0.2 on it right now.  Runs great, no complaints and even manages to transcode fairly responsive.  Not that I do a lot of transcoding since Im streaming to mostly Roku Ultras.  I do have many older AVI files and these transcode with no buffering whatsoever on the local network.  And rarely have any issue when going out to the WAN.

Hope this helps.

Rob