• Inputs:
    • 4x HDMI
    • 3x USB
    • 1x Composite (Shared)
    • 1x RF
    • 1x Ethernet
    • 1x Optical Audio
    • 1x RS-232C
  • THanks for any replies, just checking out options since apple tv was no go.

rbjtech

Just tried DD+  , Atmos only appears to work via the internal speakers .. (confirmed as 'Dolby Atmos' appears in the TV overlay when using the TV speakers)

DD+ appears as DD only via an Optical link - I don't have HDMI/ARC to test but assume that will be true for that also. 

I used 'Nature's Fury (Dolby Digital Plus ATMOS)' from https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers as the sample.

Edited by rbjtech

Dolby Digital Plus ATMOS should work fine, but what if you try Nature's Fury (Lossless - ATMOS)?

rbjtech

Dolby Digital Plus ATMOS should work fine, but what if you try Nature's Fury (Lossless - ATMOS)?

The THD version of this file does not show the 'Atmos' status using the internal speakers.  Emby shows as 'AC3' in stats for nerds and it's doing a remux according to the logs.

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> ac3 (native))

Currently that is expected behavior. As a test, can you try going into user permissions and restricting user access to transcoding? Then try to play from the LG app. It will be interesting to see the results. Thanks.

rbjtech

Currently that is expected behavior. As a test, can you try going into user permissions and restricting user access to transcoding? Then try to play from the LG app. It will be interesting to see the results. Thanks.

Hi Luke, sure - I was trying it as requested by SamES.

With user transcoding permissions removed - the file still plays the Video but without any Audio at all via the internal speaker (which works with DD+)

Log file entry below -

2019-02-26 13:12:15.830 Info App: User policy for ****. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: False EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: False EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: False
2019-02-26 13:12:15.830 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: \\server\Media\HDD11\Films 6\Audio Sample Files\Dolby_Atmos_Natures_Fury_1920x1080_THD_7_1_ATMOS_71-thedigitaltheater.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

I hope that is useful.

Thanks.

Then there's nothing we can do except transcode the track on the server. That tells me that even if the TV supports TrueHD, it's possible LG might not be allowing it for all app developers to utilize. We've seen the same thing on some other platforms.

rbjtech

ok that's fine - and being honest what I was expecting as LG themselves have said this (*).  The only way to get THD (Atmos) is direct to your Audio system from another device (Dual output Blu-Ray player etc)

As DD+ appears to be fine (and can be transported over ARC (@ up to 1.5Mbit/sec..), then IF converting THD to DD+ can retain the Atmos metadata, then it's probably perfectly acceptable anyway.

(*) From Reddit 7 Months ago  :huh:  - https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/8yc5ah/lg_tech_support_says_this_about_dolby_atmos_and/

Edited by rbjtech

Thanks, and I that Reddit article is a good reference which matches my understanding.

Just to your comment, I’m fairly sure that it is not possible to maintain the Atmos data when converting from THD to dd+. Thanks for testing this for us.

• Like 1