Library problems

gerry.emm
Go to solution Solved by CChris,

gerry.emm

Hi everyone,

I've been using EMBY since it was called MB Server...I switched over from Plex MANY moons ago.  Over time, it seems my library has become corrupt.  Where it's become apparent is in my TV shows.  I stream EMBY  to my Roku over my home network.  The EMBY channel on my Roku is displaying double episode titles for SOME of my TV shows, not all.  Only one of the two icons for an episode will actually play the episode.  The "ghost" icon tries to load the episode, gets to about one third, then stops and there is no playback.  I was thinking I might fix the problem by deleting the library for my TV shows and re-creating it, but I get the same result.  Somewhere, EMBY must keep a backup of the library if it just brings back the exact same duplicated episode titles right?

So, outside of un-installing EMBY and starting fresh, is there a way to have EMBY re-scrape a library fresh, and properly? 

Also, I have upgraded my Roku 3 to a Roku Ultra, even though my TV is not 4K. as It is downwards compatible, plus I got it for a song.  (And I'll be ready when I DO get a 4K TV...)  Only now, some of my videos refuse to stream.  I found out by trying the Roku BETA channel  (looks GREAT btw) that the videos that refuse to stream are 1080p but HEVC (rather than h.264 I believe it is).  The point is, they used to play just fine on my Roku 3.  I have gone over the Roku settings with a fine-tooth comb and cannot find any setting that could affect the playback of those files.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on fixing that problem also?  Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light on either of those problems for this old guy with the tired eyes!!!

Gerry  B)

Hi Gerry, apologies for the disruption. Can you please check the web app? Does everything look normal there? Thanks !

gerry.emm

Hi Luke,

I checked the web app and the same thing happens.  I have even tried connecting to EMBY server from another computer on my network and I also see 2 icons for each episode.  I have included a screen capture so you can see.

5c6bee9cdddb3_embyscreencap.png

As you can see, here, each file has a duplicate, some of which show a file size of 0 bytes, but some also showing the same file size as the original.  I can't for the life of me understand how this is possible.  I am also including a screen capture of EMBY Theatre.

5c6c020e31fdc_embytheatrescreencap.png

Sure hope you can help...and thanks ever so much in advance!!!

You have zero byte video files in your folder there. Those will definitely cause problems. I would delete them and then run a library scan.

Then the real question is, did you get those files that way, or do you have a failing hard disk.

gerry.emm

Hi Luke,

The 0 byte files don't actually exist on the actual storage hard drive.  The screen captures I uploaded are what one of my networked computer sees when I log into the EMBY server remotely.  The ACTUAL storage hard drive is brand new and is functioning just fine with many of my other TV shows.  The directory with the ACTUAL files only contains the individual episode files as well as their related .bif files, and nothing else; ie; Glee - S01E01 and Glee - S01E01-320.bif etc.  This is why I suspect there is a problem with how the library is being looked at by EMBY.

Do you think at this point that I should just bite the bullet and uninstall EMBY altogether and perform a clean reinstall?

Happy2Play

I suspect uninstall will make no difference.  Are your libraries pointed to a network path?  First need to figure out this 0 byte file display issue.

What file extensions do they have?

It is odd they have different durations also.

@@gerry.emm

Okay that is a DLNA view, correct?

Can you show a folder view.

Edited by Happy2Play

gerry.emm

Hi Luke,

You are correct.  The screenshot DOES show that there are 0 byte files in that folder.  However, if you notice, what I wrote was: "I have even tried connecting to EMBY server from another computer on my network and I also see 2 icons for each episode. "

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough.  On the remote computer, when I navigate to the folder containing these episodes, I see exactly what I posted in the screen capture.  However, when I look at the folder the files are in on the ACTUAL server computer, all it contains is: "the individual episode files as well as their related .bif files, and nothing else; ie; Glee - S01E01 and Glee - S01E01-320.bif etc."

Hopefully this helps.  And again, THANKS IN ADVANCE for all your help!!!

Gerry

Edited by gerry.emm

Happy2Play

Hi Luke,

You are correct.  The screenshot DOES show that there are 0 byte files in that folder.  However, if you notice, what I wrote was: "I have even tried connecting to EMBY server from another computer on my network and I also see 2 icons for each episode. "

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough.  On the remote computer, when I navigate to the folder containing these episodes, I see exactly what I posted in the screen capture.  However, when I look at the folder the files are in on the ACTUAL server computer, all it contains is: "the individual episode files as well as their related .bif files, and nothing else; ie; Glee - S01E01 and Glee - S01E01-320.bif etc."

Hopefully this helps.  And again, THANKS IN ADVANCE for all your help!!!

Gerry

Can post a screenshot of the folder/files on server computer.

To me the screenshot in post 3 is DLNA view as you scan see the DLNA name in the path.

I.E. DLNA views (if you tuned off DLNA this view would disappear)

5c6de46868585_path.jpg

5c6de499dfcbd_dlna.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

gerry.emm

Hi Happy2Play,

As requested, here is a screen capture of the folder on my actual server computer.  As you can see, only one actual version of the video files exists on the server along with its accompanying .bif file for my Roku.  I sure hope to be able to solve this mystery.  Thanks again to ANYONE who might be able to shed any light on this mystery!!!

Gerry

post-54407-0-94125200-1550840378_thumb.png

gerry.emm

Hi Happy2Play,

As requested, here is a screen capture of the folder on my actual server computer.  As you can see, only one actual version of the video files exists on the server along with its accompanying .bif file for my Roku.  I sure hope to be able to solve this mystery.  Thanks again to ANYONE who might be able to shed any light on this mystery!!!

Gerry

post-54407-0-94125200-1550840378_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
gerry.emm

Well, I have seemingly solved the problem but it looks like I have created 2 others...first of all, here's what I have done.  I went through each and every folder and sub-folder for all my tv shows and have deleted every single file that was not an actual video file.  Then, I removed all my tv libraries from EMBY...I have combined the 5 separate libraries I used to have into one single library...I used to have a library for my shows, one for my daughter's shows, one for animated series, etc...now, I have ONE library called "TV Shows" which contains them all...so EMBY re-scraped them all, but somehow, I have ended up with 3 times the heading "TV Shows" on my main menu, even though there is only one "TV Shows" library...I also got rid of an un-related library called "Playlists" but it also still shows up on my main menu...

post-54407-0-37672500-1551754442_thumb.jpg

post-54407-0-80091800-1551754479_thumb.jpg

Can anyone guide me as to how to get rid of the duplicate libraries please?  And before you ask, yes, all 3 have the exact same content...and if you could explain how to get rid of the"Playlists" library, that would be greatly appreciated too!!!

Thanks again in dvance for any help you can provide!!!

Gerry

• Solution
CChris

the duplicate libraries are a known issue, as far as I know.
There is one way to get rid of them:

delete the library from your library management section in the admin panel.
then, run two complete library scans.
After they have finished, please add the library again.

this should solve the issue with duplicated / multiplied libraries for now.

• Like 1

That is correct, you can follow that procedure. It is resolved for the next release to not allow it to happen again. thanks.

gerry.emm

Thanks a million guys...I did as you suggested and it seems to have fixed the first problem...at last look, EMBY was re-scraping my TV Shows, and there seems to be only one heading...

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the "Playlists" heading that I deleted from my libraries but is still being displayed on the main menu?

And again, thanks in advance for any help you CAN provide as well as for the help you have ALREADY provided...it is MUCH appreciated!!!

Gerry   :D  :D  :D

Happy2Play

Thanks a million guys...I did as you suggested and it seems to have fixed the first problem...at last look, EMBY was re-scraping my TV Shows, and there seems to be only one heading...

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the "Playlists" heading that I deleted from my libraries but is still being displayed on the main menu?

And again, thanks in advance for any help you CAN provide as well as for the help you have ALREADY provided...it is MUCH appreciated!!!

Gerry   :D  :D  :D

Have you looked at your Home Screen setting?  User icon-Home Screen-Playlists

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

gerry.emm
Hi Happy2Play,

Thanks for guiding me there...I un-checked the option to display that "menu option" in my Home Screen settings, and "miracle of miracles"...it's gone!!!

Thanks a ton to everyone that helped solve these little problems!!!  My EMBY server finally looks the way it used to!!!

Gerry

P.S. - to anyone considering using "Media Companion" to help scrape your content properly...DON"T...I suspect that it"s what got me into this mess to start with!!!