ChromeCast with Chrome 72

Raketenforscher

Raketenforscher

Hi there,

alright, I am using a Acer Chromebook Tab 10, which sucks big time. Here's why:

I've installed Emby server on my Debian system, which is an old Mac Mini accessed by its hostname "mac". No domain whatsoever. So I use the WebGUI with http://mac:8096 and could cast media to my chromecast devices. So far, so good.

Since Chrome 72, the chromecast devices could not be found anymore. As I found out in this board, I need to access the server via https. Therefore, I need certificates. I have no idea about such stuff - how to create them, how to import them into my browser or server, about .crt and .key files or whatever. Again, I have no domain, because I don't need one. It's all local network, no need for remote access. Is there some kind of step-by-step guide?

As an alternative, I could use the android app. Which works perfectly fine on a pure android device, but not so much on my f**ing Chromebook Tab. After lauching the app, closing it and re-launching it again, it starts witb a blank black screen. I have to call the Chrome task manager and kill the task com.mb.android in order to be able to launch the android app again. In a nutshell, I am not able to close the app properly.

To be honest, I am quite annoyed. Android apps are generally a pain in the *** to use in ChromeOS, which certainly isn't Emby team's fault. WebGUI is another business. Until a few days ago, everything just worked fine, and all of a sudden, I am forced to deal with SSL stuff - on a private, local network. Insert facepalm here.

Please apologize my anger. Any help is much appreciated.

Raketenforscher

Ok, I've dug a bit deeper into this. Looks like Google screwed up the cast api, which affects the webgui of Emby as well as Plex. Since self certs wont be accepted by chromecast, the only option is to get a proper public domain and a CA cert like Letsentcrypt, which afaik has to be renewed every 90 days. Pretty unacceptable, if you ask me. Concerning webgui, it looks like we're doomed for now. Well, thank you Google.

So, there's the android app as a fallback. Which has, as I already described, its own problems on ChromeOS. How to troubleshoot this?

Hi, yes you need to run the web app in a secure context, which means https or localhost. You can also use our android or iOS apps. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
darkshad9999

That is BS that it doesn't have anything to do with the Emby Server it does you have support

for the Chromecast built into the Emby server and therefore it is your problem

Wow I was considering getting the premium version of Emby but wow not with this

kind of attitude. This has everything to do with the server you need to find a

work around for this or something! Just don't say oh well it isn't our problem

that is just unacceptable!

I was just clarifying that the change was not caused by any change from an Emby Server update. It is possible that in the future we may look into providing SSL to accommodate this requirement, but we don't have that at the moment.

darkshad9999

Come on admin it still doesn't matter if it was caused by you are not you

are still supporting the Chromecast support built into Emby and

you do need to find a way around it.

I mean you should start working for a way to provide the SSL to accomidate

this and find a way around it.

It doesn't matter who changed what, what matters is if Emby works and

functions properly that is all that matters.