Can't connect to server on dietpi

jonmel

Hi

I have been stuck on this for a few days and can't find any solution. I installed dietpi on my RPi, then connected with PuTTY, then installed emby and samba and then set up emby on my computer connecting through the RPi IP. No problem. The next day when I tried to connect it said problem loading page. I tried all sorts of things, I had a problem rebooting which firstly was the HDD in ntfs and then that I had set it o auto mount.  So I have now installed the ntfs-3g and mount every time after reboot. At some point during all this it started working again the other day and I thought I had cracked it but now back to the same problem. Sometimes it works after a reboot, sometimes not. After a period of time working it then seems to "sleep" and nothing works. It also seemed to stop working at one point when I disconnected the PuTTY connection. The aim is to get it working as a standalone server that will always be on so ipads/kodi on fireTV stick/chromecast etc can work in different rooms. Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

JaScoMa

Hello..

If you can, turn off the pi, connect it to a monitor/tv via HDMI and turn it back on.  You'll see DietPI show the boot-up sequence, IP address, etc.  If there's any errors with your installation, you may be able to see them here.  Plus too, connect a keyboard and you'll be able to log into the system, etc.

Do you have a windows share which you're using for your media?

Plus, you can always try the DietPI forums for system specific issues; https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=5

Hello

Sorry, I didn't mention that, I have it connected to a tv and I have a wireless keyboard and I can log in fine. I don't have a windows share, is that the way to go? I have just had the HDD plugged straight in to the RPi. I have also tried plugging it in through a usb 'block' so it isn't running on the Pi power. I'm a little lost at this point because any advice/tutorials seem to stop at the point of having dietPi and Emby on the device. Would the dietPiforum be the better place for this discussion?

Thanks

JaScoMa

Hello..

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I would move this to the DietPI forums and they'll probably be better at helping you resolve your issues with DietPI and the HDD.

Hello

Not having much luck on the dietpiforum, some others have the same problem so, now I have narrowed done the issue, thought I'd try the brains here again. If I type: "dietpi-services restart" after a reboot then emby seems to work again. Then I can type "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /file location /mount point" to mount my hdd. Can anyone help me with what I could do to have services auto restart and my ntfs drive auto mount, that wouldn't interfere with the reboot?

Thnaks

JaScoMa

i'm wondering if maybe the hdd is going into a sleep mode and when this is occurring, the OS is loosing it's mount to the system, thus needing to be reset.

• 3 months later...