Emby errors on Windows 7...at wit's end

tequilaparrothead

tequilaparrothead

And yes, the Emby installer version was downloaded directly from the Emby website.

Minor correction...the version that I downloaded tonight and got working was 3.5 from the github website that was linked to me in a prior post.

It was not from the Emby website as I believe all of those downloads are now v4.0.

In summary,

3.5 works for me as long as I don't let it update to 4.0.

4.0 does not work for me at all.

Edited by tequilaparrothead

tequilaparrothead

Now that I located an older version, THIS is working...

5c6e046d5611e_Emby11.jpg

But if I allow THIS to happen, it kills all Emby functionality for me...

5c6e01ec6d5ce_Emby2.jpg

Happy2Play

Note your external ip is in the screenshot above.  

As noted previously you can delete the update in the updates folder.

tequilaparrothead

Did you go through this?

Luke...After looking at that page, I really wasn't sure I had enough knowledge or time to make it thru that so that's when I decided to just do one final clean restore of my operating system and move forward with hope that I had a fresh Windows install that I had not monkeyed up with all of the changes trying to fix my Emby problem.

After finding a 3.5 version tonight and getting that working with no problems until it updated me to 4.0, I have at least confirmed that there is a problem between my system and Emby 4.0.

It's somewhere in those NET Runtime errors aborting the embyserver but that's as far as I can say.

I have figured out how to turn off updates, so I resigned myself to the fact that I will just have to live with 3.5 as long as I have a WIndows 7 computer.

tequilaparrothead

Try installing the .NET Core runtime :

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download

And then i bet you will be fine with 4.0.

Per suggestion, I downloaded .NET Core 2.2.2.0.

Allowed Emby to update to from working 3.5 to 4.0.

Restarted Emby Server in 4.0 and got the same old localhost refused to connect 8096 error.

It didn't work.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.  I'd wager the issue here is in the NET framework installed by VC.

This is a long known issue in Net core that happens.  Had you not installed VC but only installed Emby or the net run time I bet this issue would go away.

The error you were seeing: 0xC0000005 is an 'Access violation' that is typical of this.  The error in essence crashes the stack with an overflow but I won't go into details about it as it really doesn't matter.  It's not a programming error but a net framework error that's only seen in a dev environment.

So my question.  Have you tried installing Emby V4 in windows 7 WITHOUT VC installed or any of the net framework kits a programming would install?  If not:

Do you have it in you to try one more time?  If so install W7, install updates, install NOTHING ELSE for testing.

Then install Emby and allow it to install only the net run time it needs/wants to see.

I'd wager this works,

Carlo

Angus Black

If I had your PC in front of me I could have convinced Windows 10 to get along with your ATI/AMD video card. Very difficult to explain in writing though.

I know you've got a lot of time in this but you should try what Carlo is saying. If you can get Emby 4.x working correctly you can take advantage of any new improvements.

tequilaparrothead

I'm going to have to chew on that do yet another reinstall suggestion a little while.

I've already done at least 3 factory restores and each time there are hundreds of updates to install.

In one of these attempts, I did try installing Emby prior to installing any other programs.

Emby adds Visual C++ 2015 at the time of install I think.

As for what other VC versions had already been installed during that time, I guess I can't say for sure.

I currently have 2005, 2008, and 2015 installed.

During this problem chasing, I think I had 2012 and 2017 also installed at times.

Emby is the only program that has problems for me and it only happens in Emby 4.0....not the earlier versions.

I don't think I am going to have the time to do another factory install of W7 right now in spite of my sometimes OCD tendencies (hate to let something get the better of me like this.)

As for my graphics card, it worked somewhat in W10 but it was at reduced resolution.

That along with W10 UI being so different to me, I just didn't stick around with it.

tequilaparrothead

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.  I'd wager the issue here is in the NET framework installed by VC.

This is a long known issue in Net core that happens.  Had you not installed VC but only installed Emby or the net run time I bet this issue would go away.

The error you were seeing: 0xC0000005 is an 'Access violation' that is typical of this.  The error in essence crashes the stack with an overflow but I won't go into details about it as it really doesn't matter.  It's not a programming error but a net framework error that's only seen in a dev environment.

So my question.  Have you tried installing Emby V4 in windows 7 WITHOUT VC installed or any of the net framework kits a programming would install?  If not:

Do you have it in you to try one more time?  If so install W7, install updates, install NOTHING ELSE for testing.

Then install Emby and allow it to install only the net run time it needs/wants to see.

I'd wager this works,

Carlo

Carlo, you are may very well be onto the issue as that error message popped up more than several times and was an ongoing thread in my attempts to fix this issue.

That message and the .NET Runtime error that kept aborting the embyserver.exe and not allowing a connection on port 8096 were the things that kept popping up.

Personally I'd try again with window 10.  You should be able to convince your video card to work with Windows 10, just takes a bit of finesse.  I didn't see exactly which card you had but saw another member mention it.  You can get really old ATI cards to work with W10 but may not get super high resolutions from it.  But if you are only using it as a server then 1080 is fine.  However I think you mentioned it only a year old computer or so, can't be that old of a video card.

I don't know if you mentioned it or not but are you running a 64 bit W7 install (you should be).

Something else you could try just to get some piece of mind is to install W7 or W10 in a virtual machine.  That would at least give you some confidence that Emby 4.0 will run on your machine's hardware and show that it's an OS/net type issue.

Plenty of us here have seen some wacky windows issues and are more then willing to help any way we can.

Angus Black

That message and the .NET Runtime error that kept aborting the embyserver.exe and not allowing a connection on port 8096 were the things that kept popping up.

I just want to point out that embyserver.exe crashing and the port 8096 error aren't two separate problems. The only reason you see the port error is because the Emby server isn't running.

I'll help with whatever you decide to do.

tequilaparrothead

Okay...so I did one more recovery of W7 back to factory settings. Y'all are saying now download Emby and install before allowing any updates?

I don't have a much of a usable browser until IE11 update or until I download Chrome.

Is it at least okay to download one of those first?

tequilaparrothead

2nd question...my factory fresh version already includes Visual C++ 2005 and 2008. Is it okay to leave them or are saying remove them so I have zero VC++ versions of any type before installing Emby?

Happy2Play

Okay...so I did one more recovery of W7 back to factory settings. Y'all are saying now download Emby and install before allowing any updates?

I don't have a much of a usable browser until IE11 update or until I download Chrome.

Is it at least okay to download one of those first?

I used IE11 to download and install Emby, but downloading Chrome first should have no effect on this.

2nd question...my factory fresh version already includes Visual C++ 2005 and 2008. Is it okay to leave them or are saying remove them so I have zero VC++ versions of any type before installing Emby?

I would assume those are being used by the bundled software in your factory restore.  They should not be a problem as Emby will look for VC++ on install.

tequilaparrothead

I wouldn't think so either but I think it was Carlo in particular that was advising try Emby with as little VC++ installed as possible.

My card is ATI Radeon HD 4650.

The computer is actually about 9 years old running W7 Home Premium.

I think this is the specs/hardware page for it.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01892902

Oh, thought you said in message 7 it was a "years old PC"?  Was that supposed to have a 9 in front of it?

Leave them.  If you like install Chrome as your main browser.

Check and see if your version of Windows has any other apps installed that aren't windows.  Do you see any support applications/utils, etc that are vendor specific that they might have added?  If so try and uninstall them. Basically "try" to get back to a pure "virgin" W7 install.

Install Windows MAJOR service packs and updates.  You probably don't need to worry about all the small stuff for now.  If in doubt just install what MS says is needed.

Install nothing else besides Chrome and the windows updates.

Now install Emby.

It's possible you are getting more then base Windows during your install if this isn't a MS disc and you are using something like an HP supplied disc which has been modified with their own stuff.  Some vendors do that and it's not a pure windows install anymore.

tequilaparrothead

Well, I already tried that in a prior install...and 4.0 still didn't work.

I don't have a disc...I'm doing a reset to factory install that I assume probably is taken from the recovery partition.

In the past, I would go in and remove programs that were free trials, etc.

Then I allowed updates...then tried Emby and 4.0 didn't work.

This time, I tried installing Emby before allowing ANY updates other than installing Chrome so I could download Emby, and this is the message I got....so I guess I'll go ahead with updates.

5c6f513c91f34_Emby1.jpg

Yea, Emby can't be installed until some of the major updates from MS are applied.  W7 is just far to old to be used without the updated needed.

tequilaparrothead

These are my installed programs once I remove the obvious to me trial software.
I don't think there are any others on this list that I really want to remove.

I will start doing these millions of updates one last time and see if I manage to catch a status where Emby 4.0 works.

This is my LAST time doing this.

5c6f539691e14_Emby2.jpg

Holy cow, that list is mostly non MS software.

Wouldn't hurt to remove all the HP, Cyberlink, Lightspeed, PC-Doctor, TopSpeed stuff.  Basically get it back to just MS windows.

I'm not even sure you can clean that up properly as it's full of stuff.

Your system restore has everything but the kitchen sink installed. :)

tequilaparrothead

Well, I already slimmed it down a little.

I use some of that stuff still there so I'm not going to slim it down any further at this point.

Emby will either work or it won't.

This is my last shot at this.
Not trying to be flippant about it...this has just been very frustrating.
Emby 4.0 is the only program that is giving me any problems on my computer.