Emby errors on Windows 7...at wit's end

tequilaparrothead

tequilaparrothead

Emby had been working and I was ready to switch to using Emby from Plex...then I think it was when I updated to 4.x, all hell broke loose.

Suddenly, I was not able to get the Emby server up at all. Just kept getting "cannot connect 8096" type errors.

In an attempt to resolve the issue, I finally restored my computer operating system to factory default and reinstalled Windows 7 with no luck.

Then I briefly upgraded to Windows 10 and suddenly found Emby server to work.

My graphics card was not compatible with Windows 10, so I reverted back to Windows 7 factory fresh.

To my surprise, after a fresh download and install, Emby started working once again....for awhile.

After a few uses, I got this error and now Emby won't work again.
I get this error every time I restart my computer.

5c6a15ef00214_Untitled.jpg

Not know what to do, I tried to install Emby over my existing and then I got this message.

5c6a163e5b8d2_2nderror.jpg

I'm afraid I'm ready to give up on Emby.

I don't know how to post any logs or anything.

Quite honestly, I just can't even get Emby to start up other then the little icon does show down in my little corner task bar.

Otherwise, I can't get anything to actually open on my screen.

Figure I would post here in one last attempt to salvage my experience.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP desktop with AMD processor.

Thanks.

Happy2Play

My graphics card was not compatible with Windows 10, so I reverted back to Windows 7 factory fresh.

Does Windows 7 have SP1?  More then likely missing required Windows update.

tequilaparrothead

I have W7 SP1 update installed since I reverted back to W7.

Actually, the only recent time that Emby 4.x worked for me was briefly after I reverted back to W7 fresh and installed updates, then reinstalled Emby today.

It worked for a few times until I got the error shown above.

Now I get that error every time I restart computer and after I dismiss the error, I can't get Emby server screen to come up at all...just get "can't connect to 8096" error.

Edited by tequilaparrothead

tequilaparrothead

Yeah, I have installed literally hundreds of updates since I did the final reinstall of W7.

Computer is indicating Windows Update is up to date.

Let's make sure we are clear here.

The ONLY reason I messed with my operating system at all was because Emby stopped working and I was out of ideas.

I was hoping by doing a fresh reinstall of my operating system that it might clean out any remnant problem files that might have been causing my problems after I updated to 4.x.

I know that was extreme action but I figured it was worth a shot.

I had tried disabling antivirus/firewall, even changing from WIndows defender/antivirus to a 3rd party brand...all with no luck as far as fixing my Emby problem.

Emby is the only program that I have been having trouble with.
In the end, the efforts did get Emby to start working again but only for a few times before it starting throwing the error shown above and now I'm right back to the 8096 errors.

As I stated, I initially recovered back to factory W7 status and that did not do the trick...Emby still would not work.

Then I went a step further and tried the upgrade to W10 just to see if Emby would work in that environment.

Emby did work but I did not stay with W10 so I don't know if I would have eventually encountered a problem or not.

When I finally reverted back to W7 this most recent time, it's the only time that Emby has worked for me in W7 in the weeks since I updated to Emby 4.x.

And now sadly I am getting these errors and again getting the 8096 error.

Before I started any of this, all I could ever get was the 8096 error after updating to Emby 4.x.

So in summary, none of this is because I made changes to my operating system.

I started messing with my operating system as a last ditch effort to try to salvage using Emby.

So my problems are not because I messed with my operating system...all of my messing was in an attempt to find a cure for my Emby problems that I could not solve.

I had even tried looking for an older 3.x version of Emby to try going back and see if that would be stable but I couldn't find a link to download and older version like that.

Thanks for helping. I appreciate it.

More than likely something else in your environment updated or changed which is now causing the problem.  Can you look in update history and see what may have updated or installed at the time you started seeing issues?

As for your install error, that can be solved by simply re-starting the machine.

Windows 7 has less than a year of even partial support left on it so, personally, I would be looking to get off of it as most software providers are probably not going to support it either and it will probably become a target of hackers (since MS will stop issuing security updates).

tequilaparrothead

Getting off W7 is not an option right now as that would involve getting a new computer for me at this point.

(Not interested in trying to replace a graphics card on a years old PC).

Nothing changed that I am aware of that caused Emby to stop working.

It literally stopped working within an hour of downloading and installling it this most recent time.

I had not installed any additional updates during that time.

It was very similar to my prior Emby problem experience...it just stopped working and kept giving me that 8096 error...and never worked again.

Is there a legacy 3.x version that I can download from somewhere to see if that works for me?

At least I would know if it's a v3 vs. v4 issue for my system.

Thanks.

What is this "8096 error" you are talking about.  That wasn't in your screen shot but sounds like some other app trying to use the same port as Emby.  You might try changing the Emby port.

That is probably just an indication that the server isn't running but, exactly, what did you type in the address bar to get that error?

Try just "localhost:8096"

tequilaparrothead

On lower right corner of my taskbar bar, I click the Emby icon then "Browse Library" or "Configure Emby".

I've also tried opening Emby as admin from my start menu or opening Emby Dashboard from my start menu.

5c6ac4fa4fe6d_Emby4.jpg

tequilaparrothead

As far as I know, I have tried turning off all my firewall and anti-virus with the same results when turned off.

5c6acbe135bd8_Emby5.jpg

5c6acbee4969a_Emby6.jpg

Turning off the firewall is not going to make things work.  You need to turn it back on and ensure rules are setup properly to allow access to embyserver.exe and also that there are no blocking rules for it.

Can you access the server from another machine?

Have you confirmed the server is actually running (using task manager)?

tequilaparrothead

I don't have any other computers in my house but maybe I can try from my Roku TV...will that suffice?

Here is my task mgr screenshot "Processes".

When I click to start Emby, EmbyServer shows up momentarily then changes to EmbyTray in the .exe processes.

Does this show you what you need to answer the "server running" question in task mgr?

5c6ad40555586_Emby7.png

maegibbons

I know you said you didnt want to but the easiest thing would be to get a very cheap graphics card and upgrade tp windows 10.

Save you a lot of aggrevation.

Krs

Mark

tequilaparrothead

Does anyone know where I could download a previous 3.x version of Emby and just see if that version gives me problems or not?

Can you locate the emby server install folder to see if any log files are created when you try to run it? It would be under appdata

The server is not running in your screen shot above.  That is why you cannot reach it.

The fact the tray icon is running suggests it crashed.  The logs should tell us.

Thanks.

Angus Black

I would uninstall Kaspersky too.

Even if you just remove it long enough to make sure it isn't causing problems.

tequilaparrothead

But this Emby problem existed before I ever switched to Kaspersky.
I actually switched as part of an effort to switch things up to see if I could get Emby working.

Not saying Kaspersky couldn't have it's own set of problems, but I was having these issues pre-dating using Kaspersky.

Also, for this recent reinstall in which Emby actually worked for about an hour, I had Kaspersky running then.

I found an install log and might see issues in the last few lines...how do I attach the install log to this post?

I tried copy/paste but it seems it was too big to do it that way.

Edited by tequilaparrothead

Angus Black

Click on the More Reply Options button at the lower right.

You will have the option of attaching a file to your post. Attach the log.

tequilaparrothead

Only thing about Kaspersky is that I had Emby problems before ever switching to Kaspersky.

I actually switched to Kaspersky to get away from Windows Security Essentials to try something different since I was already having trouble with Emby.

I think I found install log and can see potential problems towards end of log although I have no experience in this type stuff.

Of course, remember I said I installed Emby and it worked briefly after reinstalling Windows...then stopped, I tried to reinstall over top again and it didn't work.

I have attached the install log from my appdata folder.

server-install.log

tequilaparrothead

Okay, I uninstalled Emby and reinstalled again.

Here is the new install log.

Looks better I think...yes?

However, Emby still doesn't work after this reinstall....same 8096 can't connect message.

server-install.log

CBers

Okay, I uninstalled Emby and reinstalled again.

Here is the new install log.

Looks better I think...yes?

However, Emby still doesn't work after this reinstall....same 8096 can't connect message.

Log says its installed.

Are you opening a browser on the PC that you installed it on?

Clutching at straws I'm afraid, but can you try http://ipaddress:8096, substituting ipaddress for the actual IP of the PC it's installed on.